Environment lags in poll of concerns

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Apr 20, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Environment lags in poll of concerns

By Jennifer Harper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Green seems to be fading: Gallup's annual Earth Day poll has found that the environment is near the bottom of the nation's concerns, outranking only worries about race relations.
    Thirty-five percent of Americans fret over the quality of the environment, according to the poll of 1,005 randomly selected adults conducted March 8-11 and released yesterday. It is "not a pressing concern," said Gallup Organization analyst Lydia Saad. The poll has a margin of error of three percentage points.

Democrats tend to be most concerned about environmental issues, with 45 percent saying they worry "a great deal" about the environment while 28 percent rate the environment's condition as "excellent or good." Among Republicans, the figures were 18 percent and 62 percent, respectively.
    Forty-four percent of all respondents felt economic growth should take precedence over environmental protection — a significant increase for a historic "key indicator of public sympathy toward the environmental movement." It stood at 23 percent in 2000 and at 19 percent in 1990.

Full Story

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Well, now that the kids have stopped being fed hippy bullcrap in school. I had to do so much Earth Day crap in elementary school, it was sickening. Thank goodness I was still too young to realize the load of crap I was being fed, and thank goodness for my parents who kept me from following this load of crap.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
  4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Kyoto is Auschwitz says Kremlin aide
    Wed 14 April, 2004 12:53

By Tom Miles

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kyoto Protocol risks killing off the world economy like "an international Auschwitz", says an aide to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Andrei Illarionov, Putin's economic adviser, has recommended the president reject the landmark environmental pact, according to a document obtained by Reuters. That would kill off the treaty, which needs Russia's backing to come into force.

In sardonic remarks quoted by Interfax news agency, the outspoken Illarionov told reporters in Russia's second city of St Petersburg that Kyoto's impact would be devastating.

"The Kyoto Protocol is a death pact, however strange it may sound, because its main aim is to strangle economic growth and economic activity in countries that accept the protocol's requirements," he said.

Full Story

Looks like Kyoto is dead as well. I wonder if all of the environmentalists will be pissed at Putin as well?

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    First sensible thing I've ever heard the Russians say!!! :thup:

6. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    All I hope, is that your are all right in your optimism on the state of the environment. I see little hope for improvement in most Western countries. Without changes to energy efficiency and production as well as sustainable resource generation, we're heading on a dangerous course. I frankly believe we're ignoring our responsibilities to posterity, much like previous generations have done.

Though, I sincerely hope I am wrong.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    wait, the environment did better than race relations?

8. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hippy bull crap? You do disservice to the name Hobbit. If you'd read Tolkien's work you would know that a beautiful environment is the key of the story. The books are filled with environmental sentiment.

The hippy crap you condescend is scientific fact. Here's a few. The oceans are warming at an alarming rate, causing corral reefs around the globe to fall apart. Most fish use corral reefs to mate, without them, oceanic fish populations will plummet dramatically. They already are due to overfishing and pollutants spilling out of waterways.
    The amount of clean freshwater in underground reservoirs is also declining at an unsustainable amount. Here in Texas, the Ogallala Reservoir, the largest in the US, will probably be done in a few decades without proper measures. Goodbye to all mid-Western agriculture.
    The number of species currently becoming extinct is occuring faster than it was during the demise of the dinosaurs.
    These are just a few.
    You should change you username tom Saruman you orc lover.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    when mankind has damaged the earth enough, she will rebel. This earth can take care of itself just fine without us, and I do mean without us. :blowup:

10. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    George Bush's greatest contribution to the enviroment-- indifference.