Court ruling on voting rights of felons in Louisiana expected Monday

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A state judge in Baton Rouge is slated to rule Monday on the legality of a four-decades-old Louisiana law that bars felons on probation and parole from voting.

There are roughly 71,000 such persons in the state.

Attorneys for eight individuals and a group called Voice of the Ex-Offender challenged the constitutionality of the 1976 law in a case that's being heard by District Court Tim Kelley.

In recently filed written arguments, lawyers for the plaintiffs and for the state Attorney General's and Secretary of State's offices have given Kelley plenty to chew on as he mulls his decision.
Court ruling on voting rights of felons in Louisiana expected Monday

I seriously do not see a ruling coming in favor of those on parole and probation being allowed to vote.

The legislature has the right to deny voting rights to those on parole and probation, imo.

I think the law is constitutional.

The legislature has the right to deny voting rights to those on parole and probation, imo.

I think the law is constitutional.

Strange that people like Obama and Bush with drug charges can get their records cleared off where they can run for office and get elected President. But other people with that background can't even get regular jobs.

Here, we have people with convictions who can't even vote, while crooks who have committed felonies are still being able to work in govt.

Forum List

Back