Courage

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Italy hails "hero" hostage, stands firm on troops

By Crispian Balmer

ROME, April 15 (Reuters) - An Italian hostage killed in Iraq was hailed on Thursday as a hero who in his last moments told his kidnappers defiantly: "I'm going to show you how an Italian dies."

Fabrizio Quattrocchi, one of four Italian security guards abducted earlier this week, was shot dead on Wednesday after Italy refused to bow to the kidnappers' demands that it withdraw its troops from Iraq.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said a video recording of the killing showed that Quattrocchi was hooded when his kidnappers put a gun to his head.

"When the murderers were pointing a pistol at him, this man tried to take off his hood and shouted: 'Now I'm going to show you how an Italian dies'. And they killed him," Frattini said.

"He died a hero," he added.

Frattini came under attack from some quarters for breaking the news of Quattrocchi's death during a live television chat show on Wednesday night and the distraught families of the remaining three hostages urged talks with the abductors.

After meeting his top ministers to discuss the crisis, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi issued a statement saying the government "would work in all practicable ways for the immediate and unconditional release" of the remaining hostages.

Defence Minister Antonio Martino said Italy would keep its forces in Iraq. "It wouldn't just be vile, it would also damage us if we pulled out with the job half done. We cannot give in," he told reporters.Full Story

Berlusconi and Italy has been our best ally, outside the UK and Blair. They have the most troops in Iraq outside America and the UK. That was a great quote by that Italian. He did die a hero, and the Italians do get it.

I'm just afraid the Italians will vote out Berlusconi. If the Italians did that and the British voted out Blair... and we re-elected Bush... would we have any allies?

Hope the moderator doesn't ban me...

Lungamente vivono gli italiani! Fiero essere italiano.

Gee, can you guess I'm italian???!!!

I was in France and Italy recently. The French were just ok. However the Italians were great. The people we interacted with were very friendly. We went to an Amry base in Northern Italy, staffed with of course Americans but Itialian as well. It was great to see the two nations working side by side. They are great allies indeed.

I am 100% Italian, (well Sicilian) and I'm going to go to Italy thing summer. I'm looking forward to meeting the people. Hey MtnBiker, how were the girls?

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
I am 100% Italian, (well Sicilian) and I'm going to go to Italy thing summer. I'm looking forward to meeting the people. Hey MtnBiker, how were the girls?
Well, then you ain't italian.

Just kidding.

I hope you have a good trip...

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Italy hails "hero" hostage, stands firm on troops

By Crispian Balmer

ROME, April 15 (Reuters) - An Italian hostage killed in Iraq was hailed on Thursday as a hero who in his last moments told his kidnappers defiantly: "I'm going to show you how an Italian dies."

Fabrizio Quattrocchi, one of four Italian security guards abducted earlier this week, was shot dead on Wednesday after Italy refused to bow to the kidnappers' demands that it withdraw its troops from Iraq.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said a video recording of the killing showed that Quattrocchi was hooded when his kidnappers put a gun to his head.

"When the murderers were pointing a pistol at him, this man tried to take off his hood and shouted: 'Now I'm going to show you how an Italian dies'. And they killed him," Frattini said.

"He died a hero," he added.

Frattini came under attack from some quarters for breaking the news of Quattrocchi's death during a live television chat show on Wednesday night and the distraught families of the remaining three hostages urged talks with the abductors.

After meeting his top ministers to discuss the crisis, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi issued a statement saying the government "would work in all practicable ways for the immediate and unconditional release" of the remaining hostages.

Defence Minister Antonio Martino said Italy would keep its forces in Iraq. "It wouldn't just be vile, it would also damage us if we pulled out with the job half done. We cannot give in," he told reporters.Full Story

The Italians are cool and a brave people. Unlike the Germans, French and Spanish!

God bless America and our good President

Forum List

Back