Count The Liberals In The Photo?

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
th
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.3tjuuhLkTqi4Ec0X-FXc5gEyDM&pid=Api&w=269&h=181

I make it five liberals, three conservatives, and one question mark.

This guy’s middle finger belongs in future photos because the so-called swing vote flipped-off private sector property owners in addition to his international law advocacy:

th

Anthony Kennedy
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.CpzQeWfRgKVg2cT14ZGFXwEsDI&pid=Api&w=270&h=181

The Supreme Court constrained the rights of property owners Friday, establishing a test that favors government officials in assessing the loss of property value caused by government regulations.

Writing for a 5-3 court, Justice Anthony Kennedy explained that state and local officials can combine separate parcels of land in assessing whether local government has effectively seized private property through regulation, requiring compensation. Kennedy’s opinion was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan. Chief Justice John Roberts filed a fiery dissent, joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito.​

Supreme Court Limits Rights Of Property Owners
Kevin Daley
Legal Affairs Reporter
6:11 PM 06/23/2017

Supreme Court Limits Rights Of Property Owners

Incidentally, Justice Kennedy voted against property owners in this one, too:

Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005)[1] was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States involving the use of eminent domain to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development. In a 5–4 decision, the Court held that the general benefits a community enjoyed from economic growth qualified private redevelopment plans as a permissible "public use" under the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment.

The case arose in the context of condemnation by the city of New London, Connecticut, of privately owned real property, so that it could be used as part of a “comprehensive redevelopment plan.” However, the private developer was unable to obtain financing and abandoned the redevelopment project, leaving the land as an undeveloped empty lot.[2]​

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia

Finally:

Trump was a lot of fun until he blew it on eminent domain:

Bret Baier reeled in Trump with Kelo:​

The court’s 5-4 holding in Kelo v. City of New London gave local officials a green light to seize and demolish private homes through eminent domain, then turn the land over to developers itching to build something more lucrative. In Fort Trumbull, those private homeowners included people such as Susette Kelo, a local nurse who bought her little Victorian cottage on the Thames River because she loved its waterfront view; Wilhelmina Dery, who was born in her house on Walbach Street in 1918 and had been living there all her life; and Pasquale and Margherita Cristofaro, whose home on Goshen Street was the second New London property they lost to eminent domain, the first having been taken 30 years earlier because the city intended to construct a seawall. (The seawall was never built.)​

Eminent disaster
Homeowners in Connecticut town were dispossessed for nothing
By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist March 12, 2014

The devastation caused by eminent-domain abuse - The Boston Globe

but there have been numerous abuses of eminent domain. After Kelo v. City of New London a few states did pass some laws that shielded private ownership from eminent domain abuses.

NOTE: Eminent domain has been a smoldering issue for a long time. The problem has been that each case is local; so the national media generally did not report eminent domain cases until recently; 60 Minutes did a good piece some years ago. The Supreme Court wrongly deciding Kelo is probably the only reason a lot of us are now aware of eminent domain abuses.

Port Chicago, California in the early 1960s was possibly the worst eminent domain abuse in modern times. In that land grab the government took an entire town under the pretext of enlarging the Navy Base. The government then turned around and sold the land to developers. The property was not confiscated to enlarge the Navy Base. I don’t recall too much about the case. Attorney Melvin Belli (1907 - 1996), who was famous for raising the Jolly Roger over his office building in San Francisco when he won a case, handled the case for the people of Port Chicago who were ripped off. I do not know if it ever got to a federal court or how it ended.
Trump Needs To Clarify Businessman

p.s. The Port Chicago case never got to the US Supreme Court because the infamous Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals refused to hear the appeal.

The ability to own and fully control one's own property is one of the things that has made America great. It is was gives people incentive to excel and when the courts minimizes those rights you know the fascist are in the horizon.

I make it five liberals, three conservatives, and one question mark.
If this rumor turns out to be true, and if Trump nominates a true conservative, I make it 4 to 4 until Gorsuch erases the question mark:

Justice Neil Gorsuch, Trump's first Supreme Court nominee, could play a pivotal role in both the travel ban and church playground cases.

In all, six cases that were argued between November and April remain undecided. Three of those, all involving immigrants or foreigners, were heard by an eight-justice court, before Gorsuch joined the bench in April.

If the eight justices are evenly divided, those cases could be argued a second time in the fall, with Gorsuch available to provide the tie-breaking vote.​

Rumor has it Trump could get another Supreme Court justice pick
BY The Associated Press
Saturday, June 24, 2017, 1:36 PM

Rumor has it Trump could get another Supreme Court justice pick

NOTE: Considering Chief Justice Robert’s vote on the ACA, I have a sinking feeling Roberts might replace Kennedy as the slippery swing vote in a four/four split.

I do not want to put a damper on the dreams and aspirations conservatives are placing in Neil Gorsuch, but I am reminded of the euphoria Chief Justice John Roberts spread like butter on a hot bagel. Roberts turned out badly. He, and he alone, could have stopped the ACA. Instead, Roberts tortured the Constitution into a tax for socialized medicine. And let us not forget Earl Warren, William Brennan, Anthony Kennedy, and David Souter, conservatives all. My point. The Supreme Court is a crap shoot at best.​

Lou Dobbs Guilty Of Blasphemy

Forum List

Back