I could pass a UK gun licence application

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
In the UK, if you decide to own and use a shotgun or a firearm, you apply for a shotgun and/or gun certificate.

So what will you be checked on -

Police record - there's nothing on your police record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. For example, forget it if you been cautioned for domestic abuse

Medical record - there's nothing on your medical record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. That would be any mental issues rising to concern.

Driving record - there's nothing on your driving record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. You're fine if it's speeding etc.. not so if you used your car as a weapon in a road rage incident.

Reason - just a good reason is required, nothing elaborate required. Control vermin on your land, you're part of a gun club, you go clay pigeon shooting at a local range etc.. All I can say is, NEVER say it's for self defence and that you will shoot others.

Security - you have a gun safe and an ammo safe securely bolted to a wall, and no one but yourself has the keys. They are locked in the safes when not in use.

Location - you only use them on your own property and any discharged shot, bullets, pellets must remain in that boundary. Or on land where the owner has given you permission. Or at a gun range/club. You don't use or carry them in public

Referee - supply one for a shotgun and two for a firearm that can vouch for you, your character etc..

And when you pass, you can take your certificate to a gun shop and make your purchase.

Although you have to be over 18 to purchase a shotgun, there's no legal limit on the age of a person to use a gun, just as long as they hold a certificate and accompanied by an adult. Certificates have been issued to those as young as 9.

Could you pass !!!!!

Please note, we all know Rights and the 2ndA, we all know privileges, subjects, sailors eating limes, past wars etc... you don't have to say them, please try to get that default rhetoric out of your head in this thread, thank you.

I can pass all except reason ... shooting George III isn't allowed I don't think ... but maybe, I don't know ... the United States said if I leave, I can never return ... does England really want me, especially after I shoot George III? ...

In the UK, if you decide to own and use a shotgun or a firearm, you apply for a shotgun and/or gun certificate.

Police record - there's nothing on your police record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. For example, forget it if you been cautioned for domestic abuse

Medical record - there's nothing on your medical record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. That would be any mental issues rising to concern.

Driving record - there's nothing on your driving record that would cause concern in you wanting to be armed. You're fine if it's speeding etc.. not so if you used your car as a weapon in a road rage incident.

Reason - just a good reason is required, nothing elaborate required. Control vermin on your land, you're part of a gun club, you go clay pigeon shooting at a local range etc.. All I can say is, NEVER say it's for self defence and that you will shoot others.

Security - you have a gun safe and an ammo safe securely bolted to a wall, and no one but yourself has the keys. They are locked in the safes when not in use.

Location - you only use them on your own property and any discharged shot, bullets, pellets must remain in that boundary. Or on land where the owner has given you permission. Or at a gun range/club. You don't use or carry them in public

Referee - supply one for a shotgun and two for a firearm that can vouch for you, your character etc..

And when you pass, you can take your certificate to a gun shop and make your purchase.

Although you have to be over 18 to purchase a shotgun, there's no legal limit on the age of a person to use a gun, just as long as they hold a certificate and accompanied by an adult. Certificates have been issued to those as young as 9.

Could you pass !!!!!

Please note, we all know Rights and the 2ndA, we all know privileges, subjects, sailors eating limes, past wars etc... you don't have to say them, please try to get that default rhetoric out of your head in this thread, thank you.
How many criminals pass that background check?

In Germany you can apply for a handgun - shotgun or rifle is only possible in view of having a hunting license (very difficult to pass) or private grounds beholding wild life that enables you to apply for a shotgun.

Same
Same and a review (Doctors letter) of not taking specific medicines
Same, and if you have served (incl. Draftees) in the armed or security forces - a service record evaluation 1-9, below 6 you can't obtain a firearm.
Same - except for those living in a secluded area - at least 4km away from the next neighbor or (no joke) 5km from a public telephone.
Same
Same - but discharge of a handgun is not allowed on own property - only shotgun in view of wild life and only during certain hours.
?
In Germany you can only purchase one handgun - different for those holding a hunting license
In Germany you need to be 18 to fire someone else's gun. Only allowed on private (not state) hunting grounds or shooting ranges.
Could you pass !!!!!
Yes, and due to my government related work, I can also own fully automatic weapons.

Could you pass !!!!!

It's not a question of if you can pass it, it's a question of why you would want to?

Your guns are locked in some sort of safe that only you can get into, so they are worthless in the event of a home break in. You can't use it for self-defense outside of your home. So what good are they? It's like buying a stereo system with an 8-track player on it.

In the US the main reason for owning a gun is for self-defense. I sleep with my .357 revolver in the headboard of my bed and have my 9mm on the dresser just five feet away and both are fully loaded. If I need to use one of them in a home break in, I don't have to explain to the police how I had such quick access to my firearms. They just simply do their investigation and get the body out of my house.

But thanks for the post. It shows us how fortunate we are in the US that bearing arms is a right given to us by our founders in the US Constitution; a right that cannot be infringed by government.

Could you pass !!!!!

I don't need a reason fucking numb nuts

I have more odds being struck by lightning than the defence fallacy, and I still don't ask gun nuts to send me their tin foil hats to protect me in a thunderstorm.

It may be a fallacy where you live but not here. The CDC estimated that Americans use their firearms for self-defense or to stop a crime against another person 1.1 million times a year. That's no fallacy.

It may be a fallacy where you live but not here. The CDC estimated that Americans use their firearms for self-defense or to stop a crime against another person 1.1 million times a year. That's no fallacy.
Check out the Harvard thread debunking that myth, hence my use of the word, "Fallacy"

Forum List

Back