Could Someone Explain Why the Pan-Am Bastard Was Released?

Mr. Capitalism

Aug 10, 2009
I'm glad to see our government in bipartisan opposition to the release: VOA News - US Pressing Scotland on Lockerbie Bomber Release

The bomber was released on "compassionate grounds" because he is dying from prostate cancer and he wanted to go home to be with his family.

I bet all those people incinerated in mid-air would like to be their families too.

I take some comfort in the fact that he is indeed dying (yay!) but seriously, you murder 270 people and you get no "compassionate grounds" for anything. You are locked away in your tiny little hole to die. Jesus this bugs me.

Here is the WH press release:
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- The White House it "deeply regrets" the Scottish decision to release Abdel Basset Mohamed al-Megrahi, the dying man convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed nearly 300 people.

"The United States deeply regrets the decision by the Scottish Executive to release Abdel Basset Mohamed al-Megrahi," said Robert Gibbs, the White House spokesman. "Megrahi was convicted and sentenced to life in prison for his role in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, which blew up over Scotland on December 21, 1988. As we have expressed repeatedly to officials of the government of the United Kingdom and to Scottish authorities, we continue to believe that Megrahi should serve out his sentence in Scotland. On this day, we extend our deepest sympathies to the families who live every day with the loss of their loved ones. We recognize the effects of such a loss weigh upon a family forever," Gibbs added.

The White House also said that U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Attorney General Eric Holder, the White House and other U.S. government officials have had "extensive contacts" with their counterparts in Scotland and the United Kingdom to emphasize that it does not support the release of Megrahi.

Follow us:

Because he is dying.

Again, who cares? People die in prison all the time, that is what they are there for when they kill 270 people. I'm as liberal as they come, especially on things like the death penalty, but this is just burning me up.

Yeah, he is dying and REALLY wants to spend his scant remaining time with his family. I can understand that, but I have to agree with Mr. Captalism - you kinda forfeit your preferences when you murder a bunch of people.

How is it punishment, if you can opt out of a portion of it just because you'd rather be doing something else?

Squeaky Fromme should have never been released either IMHO.

I'm glad to see our government in bipartisan opposition to the release: VOA News - US Pressing Scotland on Lockerbie Bomber Release

The bomber was released on "compassionate grounds" because he is dying from prostate cancer and he wanted to go home to be with his family.

I bet all those people incinerated in mid-air would like to be their families too.

I take some comfort in the fact that he is indeed dying (yay!) but seriously, you murder 270 people and you get no "compassionate grounds" for anything. You are locked away in your tiny little hole to die. Jesus this bugs me.

:lol:

Again, who cares? People die in prison all the time, that is what they are there for when they kill 270 people. I'm as liberal as they come, especially on things like the death penalty, but this is just burning me up.

Time out guys. This asshole is responsible for killing 270 innocent people. I personally believe they should have strung him upside down by his short hairs and beat whim with razor wire.
HOWEVER, the question, as posed in the thread title deserved an answer, and I wanted to get the official answer out there.

No sweat Yank - I know where you are coming from. And I can understand that when we become as senseless, as brutal, and as unfeeling as the terrorists, then there is really no difference to fight over. So bending over backwards to show compassion, even when none is deserved, is an argument I can understand.

Not AGREE with in this case - but I understand where they are coming from.

Forum List

Back