Could Ron Paul leave the Republican Party?

There is nothing to debate because you couldn't list Paul's positions if your life depended on it.

Paul is winning in Iowa, second in NH... So if you base the fact that Paul is not winning off the fact that he is then you have a point, if you're a blind Paul hater.

Really Gramps, you're just pissed because you’re a Newtie-bot and he had his 8 seconds in the sun and was rejected.

However, I'm still able to sya Newt can win the nomination. Why? Because I'm not some Newt hater.

He jumped on the bandwagon with every candidate that shot up in the polls.

He has no idea who he likes because he knows at the the end of the day there's nothing different about any of them.

I stopped supporting Cain on Oct 3rd (before he peaked in the polls). My support for Newt is tepid but still there. I have given no other support. Your full of it.

You didn't follow Perry around sniffing his ass during his 15 minutes? I could be mistaken but I think you did. I'll take my lumps if I'm wrong.

Whatever though. At the end of the day, I can say I have a candidate I support deeply, that reflects just about everything I want in a political leader.

I feel sorry for you that you don't. I really do.

There is nothing to debate because you couldn't list Paul's positions if your life depended on it.

Paul is winning in Iowa, second in NH... So if you base the fact that Paul is not winning off the fact that he is then you have a point, if you're a blind Paul hater.

Really Gramps, you're just pissed because you’re a Newtie-bot and he had his 8 seconds in the sun and was rejected.

However, I'm still able to sya Newt can win the nomination. Why? Because I'm not some Newt hater.

He has no idea who he likes because he knows at the the end of the day there's nothing different about any of them.

I stopped supporting Cain on Oct 3rd (before he peaked in the polls). My support for Newt is tepid but still there. I have given no other support. Your full of it.

Well who knows, maybe Santorum or Bachman can win the nomination and legislate saying your prayers every night before going the bed and couples only using the missionary position with the lights off. That should fix all of America's really big problems.

There's nothing to debate as Paul can't and won't win.

The debate expanded beyond just Paul and into drug laws, and you have nothing to say for your desire for the government to decide what's best for the individual.

Probably because you recognize how much that flies in the face of freedom and conservatism and you're embarrassed.

The foundation of Paul's support are drug addicts.

And here we have a clear Newtie-bot. Lol.

Well who knows, maybe Santorum or Bachman can win the nomination and legislate saying your prayers every night before going the bed and couples only using the missionary position with the lights off. That should fix all of America's really big problems.

Besides the fact that I don't believe in god that's a really stupid post.

Carry on.

The debate expanded beyond just Paul and into drug laws, and you have nothing to say for your desire for the government to decide what's best for the individual.

Probably because you recognize how much that flies in the face of freedom and conservatism and you're embarrassed.

The foundation of Paul's support are drug addicts.

Never touched the stuff, so that blows your theory. Man, that was easy.

I agree, I never did any hard drugs at all, smoked pot 3 times and have been drunk maybe 6 times... Smoked about half a pack of cigarettes and I'm 30...

Newt shot himself in the foot with that comment. Everyone knows it’s not true and he just attacked anyone that even liked Paul.

Not to mention Newtie claimed he would “stay positive” all the while launching attacks just like this one. Newt has to be the most obvious liar in political history.

What really sticks out is that Paul claimed he wants drug laws left up to the states, not that he wants to “legalize drugs.” All Newt had to do was listen during the debates but that might be too far back in history for the great historian to look, guess this means Newt is not the smartest person in the room after all.

Hope he doesn't leave mad. Just hope he leaves.

It's not about if Paul leaves mad, it's all the supporters of Paul's that people have pissed off.

At first most claimed Paul had some minority frings group of supporters, now he might win some of the primaries states... Good luck with Mitt vs Obama lol.

Repealing federal drug laws does not legalize them.

What it does is return a right to the states that never should have been taken from them in the first place. There is no enumerated power that authorizes the federal government to legislate drugs, and no restriction on what the states can do about drug laws, therefore its a power left to the states by default, as per the constitution.

He gets 15% of the GOP nationally, and who knows how much he gets beyond the GOP. Most of his supporters will only support him and will never vote for any of the other candidates. Most will write him in, and much of the rest will just sit it out.

This is definitely the first time I've ever seen a candidate in one of the 2 major parties have this much support that is unique to only that candidate.

This will not be like Huckabee, or Edwards, or any other 2nd/3rd place candidate whose support will simply switch to whoever their party's nominee is.

This is 15% that the GOP can be guaranteed they won't be getting.

Whether you like Paul or not, you're fucked without him, and Obama is going to win.

Sleep tight :thup:

The question is, how many of those 15% would follow him to a third party.

I think that would be largely dependent on how much Mitt Romney cheats to secure the nomination after Ron becomes the "AnybodyButRomney" candidate.

The logical place for Ron to go would be the Libertarian Party, but they are going to decide their race in May at a convention, which means he'll have to make a decision to drop out of the GOP race before it is done.

Besides the fact that I don't believe in god that's a really stupid post.

Carry on.

Now you know what your anti-Paul posts sound like. Mission accomplished. :salute:

He gets 15% of the GOP nationally, and who knows how much he gets beyond the GOP. Most of his supporters will only support him and will never vote for any of the other candidates. Most will write him in, and much of the rest will just sit it out.

This is definitely the first time I've ever seen a candidate in one of the 2 major parties have this much support that is unique to only that candidate.

This will not be like Huckabee, or Edwards, or any other 2nd/3rd place candidate whose support will simply switch to whoever their party's nominee is.

Whether you like Paul or not, you're fucked without him, and Obama is going to win.

The question is, how many of those 15% would follow him to a third party.

I think that would be largely dependent on how much Mitt Romney cheats to secure the nomination after Ron becomes the "AnybodyButRomney" candidate.

The logical place for Ron to go would be the Libertarian Party, but they are going to decide their race in May at a convention, which means he'll have to make a decision to drop out of the GOP race before it is done.
More like the logical place for warmongering, nation building, nanny statist, neo-Keynsean neocn douchebags in the GOP would be back to the Democrat Party, where they belong.

What really sticks out is that Paul claimed he wants drug laws left up to the states, not that he wants to “legalize drugs.” All Newt had to do was listen during the debates but that might be too far back in history for the great historian to look, guess this means Newt is not the smartest person in the room after all.

He's too busy formulating his next profound intellectual statement. :lol:

States that still have unfavorable majority views on drugs will continue keeping them illegal.

Which is why I always find it laughable when some Paul advocates say he's going to legalize drugs or end the War on Drugs as if they understand his positions. Ron Paul is not a Libertarian. He's Pro States Rights and Anti-Federalist. It just so happens that a lot of his views happen to fall in line with those who consider themselves Libertarian and Pro-Civil Liberties. If anything he probably falls more under Paleoconservatism.

I disagree as the feeling is more "anyone but Obama" than "Paul or no one". Bozo the Clown would be better than giving Obama another 4 years. Hell, I'd even take Dubya back over Obama. Gary Johnson is going to withdraw from the Republican race and go Libertarian, but his numbers were so low, it won't make a difference in the final race.

In the Libertarian circles I observe, many of them want to completely ignore the fact that Gary Johnson is running in 2012 on the Libertarian ticket. The only times Johnson gets a mention are the following:

1.) He should step down and endorse Ron Paul in 2012, and run in 2016.

2.) He would be a good Vice Presidential candidate for Ron Paul.

I've seen arguments that supporting Johnson in 2012 would be a dumb move because it takes votes away from Paul.

I have to wonder though whether or not they see the irony that they're using the same line of logic that I often see Libertarians criticize Democrats or Republicans making every election cycle about "wasting their vote".

I wonder why they right wing is so afraid of Obama? Beyond his being black. Most of the Republican base has been screwed by their leadership, yet, it seems as long as that leadership is white, it's OK.

From the polls I've seen, the reason why Paul has a lead in Iowa is due to Independents and Democrats who are going to vote in the Iowa primary.

See here for example:

Poll: Ron Paul holds slim lead over Romney, Gingrich in Iowa | The State Column

This is the first American Research Group poll that has resulted in Mr. Paul finishing with the lead. His strongest support came from independent voters, as 33 percent of non partisan voters selected him, while Mr. Gingrich and Mr. Romney tied at 17 percent of independent voters in the poll.

Contrastingly, the race is tighter among registered Republican voters, 21 percent of whom chose Mr. Romney, with Mr. Gingrich at 20 percent and Mr. Paul at 17 percent.

Even the DailyPaul admits this:

http://www.dailypaul.com/196116/if-...ependents-likely-to-provide-margin-of-victory

I disagree as the feeling is more "anyone but Obama" than "Paul or no one". Bozo the Clown would be better than giving Obama another 4 years. Hell, I'd even take Dubya back over Obama. Gary Johnson is going to withdraw from the Republican race and go Libertarian, but his numbers were so low, it won't make a difference in the final race.

In the Libertarian circles I observe, many of them want to completely ignore the fact that Gary Johnson is running in 2012 on the Libertarian ticket. The only times Johnson gets a mention are the following:

1.) He should step down and endorse Ron Paul in 2012, and run in 2016.

2.) He would be a good Vice Presidential candidate for Ron Paul.

I've seen arguments that supporting Johnson in 2012 would be a dumb move because it takes votes away from Paul.

I have to wonder though whether or not they see the irony that they're using the same line of logic that I often see Libertarians criticize Democrats or Republicans making every election cycle about "wasting their vote".

Johnson isn't as strong as Paul in some areas to libertarians, namely foreign policy:

From his website: "The U.S. must make better use of military alliances which allow greater sharing of the human and financial burdens at less cost of protecting national interests."

Many of us don't condone "military alliances" whatsoever.

Johnson isn't as strong as Paul in some areas to libertarians, namely foreign policy:

From his website: "The U.S. must make better use of military alliances which allow greater sharing of the human and financial burdens at less cost of protecting national interests."

Many of us don't condone "military alliances" whatsoever.

And in other areas Johnson is a stronger "Libertarian" than Paul.

See: Social Issues and Immigration.

Johnson still opposes staying in Afghanistan. He still opposed the Iraq War from the beginning. He still opposed U.S involvement with the Libyan civil war. And he would cut 43% from the defense budget.

See here:

Political positions of Gary Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Johnson believes it "is important to have a strong defense both at home and abroad,"[14] and that the "military should remain the most potent force for good on Earth,"[17] but believes the greatest threat to national security at present is that "we're bankrupt."[3] He would include a 43% cut to the military's budget in his proposed balanced budget[3] by concentrating on defense, rather than offense.[3] He advocates making "better use of military alliances which allow greater sharing of the human and financial burdens at less cost of protecting national interests."[17]

This sounds exactly like what Paul is saying outside of the last part.

Supposedly Paul is Non-Interventionist, not Isolationist. While he may not support "entangling alliances", he would still certainly support Diplomacy. In fact, Paul and Johnson are virtually the same on Foreign Policy.

Johnson is the superior Libertarian candidate.

Forum List

Back