Corwin Fip-Flops On Ryan Plan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Political Junky, May 23, 2011.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,536
    ThinkProgress » Facing A Potential Upset Over Medicare, Jane Corwin Flip-Flops On Ryan Plan :clap2:

As voters in New York's 26th congressional district prepare to go to the polls tomorrow, many observers are predicting an upset in this heavily-Republican district. The special election has been viewed as a referendum on the House Republican plan to privatize Medicare, with polls showing Republican Jane Corwin’s support for the plan dragging her down significantly in a district that has elected only three Democrats since 1857. According to a recent Siena poll, 21 percent of voters say Medicare is their top issue, and Democrat Kathy Hochul leads by 29 points among those voters. A new PPP poll shows Hochul up six points.

Facing this grim reality, Corwin backed off her support for the GOP plan authored by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) just two days before the election:

“The problem is with all the commercials and all the people being inundated, they’re hearing the lies,” she said. “And that’s why I’m out here telling the truth. At the end of the day, people will have to decide. But I just want everyone to be clear on what my position is.”

She calls Ryan’s plan “a terrific first step” but makes clear that she will never support controversial vouchers for Medicare.

“It’s starting a conversation that we absolutely have to have, but I’m not married to it,” she said. “I certainly would entertain any proposals that would improve any of these programs. … I’ve been saying the same thing since Day One.”
    <more?

2. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,197
    I just heard this on 'The Last Word'...

...it's HEE - larious.

Do we get to say I told you so yet? or should we wait for the whole stampede?

lolol

3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    According to the Cook report, this is an R+6 district that's the 165th most Republican district in the country. Maybe in the 164th most Republican district, the Ryan plan isn't so toxic that the Republican candidate feels compelled to run away from it. But that means there are 271 districts in which running against Ryan is probably the smartest bet.

4. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,536
    Not many cons are standing up for Ryan's plan are they?

5. NYcarbineer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,197
    Ryan is running away from his own plan. He was talking about compromising on some interview yesterday.

6. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Jeez, that’s a tough spot – stick with Ryan’s failed plan or look like a coward and turncoat.

Nope.

7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    The really interesting question is what happens when the candidate is one of the 235 Republicans who went on the record as supporting this and helped to pass it out of the House. At least Corwin has the luxury of being able to say she'd never support it.

8. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    teeee heeee

9. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,199
    Pulling out all stops. the only desperate things left is lyin....oh, she has already done that also...LOL

10. NYcarbineer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,197
    It's coming out now that the GOP'ers in Congress were warned by their own advisors and pollsters that trying to kill Medicare was a very bad idea.

Duh.:lol: