Corporate Suicide Watch, Nike Edition

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Nike has chosen the star of its 30th anniversary #JustDoIt advertising campaign: Colin Kaepernick. At first glance, it seems weird for an athletic shoe company to select as its corporate icon someone who is no longer an athlete, and was never a star. At second glance, it gets weirder:

Nike apparently thinks Kaepernick has sacrificed everything, which tells you something about 21st century corporate America. Kaepernich is a multimillionaire whose “sacrifice” consisted of kneeling during the National Anthem, wearing socks depicting police officers as pigs, and generally denouncing his country. Which has led to a second career as a leftist spokesman. That is not exactly a contender in the annals of Greatest Sacrifice Ever.

Further, Nike’s tag line, “Believe in something,” naturally raises the question: Does it matter what you believe in? Any normal person would say that it does. After all, the worst monsters in human history–Mao, Stalin, Lenin, Nero, Hitler, Amin, bin Laden, Castro–all believed in something. It was just the wrong thing.

ClayTravis This is the dumbest move @nike has ever made in the history of its brand.

I interviewed Travis a week or two ago on the Laura Ingraham radio show, talking about his new book Republicans Buy Sneakers Too: How the Left Is Ruining Sports With Politics. Clay’s book, written by the only person to be banned by both ESPN and CNN, is a useful commentary on the kind of corporate insanity that afflicts companies like Nike.

(Excerpt) Read more at powerlineblog.com ...

"N****, Please".... yet we are supposed to support this multimillionaire piece of shit!!!!The NFL sure did fuck up, giving these scum a platform....how far can attendance fall, and TV coverage hemorrhage before those idiots realize that they let " Colon" and his thugs ruin a great sport!

The Donald...sacrificed everything to Make America Great Again....now NEEDS A CONGRESS to back him up!

dmwv86.jpg

Nike HQ Discussing their next big ad campaign

"So after we introduce our new role model Colin Kirkpatrick, or whatever his name is, we should have him kick puppies for field goals!"

DmOCErGUcAEYm20.jpg

now I have to get rid of all my nike socks too. Dam it!!

Hey our stock is doing great, our products are hot! Now is the time, let's alienate the majority of our customers and get POLITICAL! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
Almost as smart as the nosedive Target Stores volunteered for when it forgot MOST of its customers are/were women when they did the tranny bathroom thing. “Hey, let’s frighten & offend our main customer base”.

Explain to me what exactly did Kaperdink sacrifice? He was already a multi-millionaire. He had already lost his starting position and was firmly planted on the bench. That is when he began attention whoring with the kneeling business and wearing Cops are Pigs socks.

Nike's best commercial (Rise and Shine) had nothing to do with politics or kneeling.
Momentum is a cruel mistress.

Winning doesn't happen by accident.

Forum List

Back