Cop shoots unarmed marijuana activist

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
A 20-year-old university student in Michigan is hospitalized and in serious condition after police shot the man Wednesday while serving a drug warrant. He was unarmed, investigators said.

Coming through an apartment's back door, an Ottawa County deputy allegedly shined a flashlight into the student's face, causing him to raise his right hand in front of his eyes.

The officer, whose name was not released, fired a single bullet into Derek Copp's chest. The 20-year-old Grand Valley State University student, who survived the shooting, said he had no idea the man was an officer.

The Raw Story | MI cops shot unarmed, 20-year-old marijuana activist

Yet we still don't hear much about all the good people doing good things ... for some reason people just like to report the mistakes and bad people ... I wonder why.

A 20-year-old university student in Michigan is hospitalized and in serious condition after police shot the man Wednesday while serving a drug warrant. He was unarmed, investigators said.

Coming through an apartment's back door, an Ottawa County deputy allegedly shined a flashlight into the student's face, causing him to raise his right hand in front of his eyes.

The officer, whose name was not released, fired a single bullet into Derek Copp's chest. The 20-year-old Grand Valley State University student, who survived the shooting, said he had no idea the man was an officer.

Just need to correct something here:

The 20-year-old Grand Valley State University student, who survived the shooting and who is about to become very, very wealthy, said he had no idea the man was an officer.

Copp's parents are particularly pissed that they had to learn about the shooting from a nurse at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital at 3 am on Mar. 12, about six hours after the incident, rather then from the police.

Cop Shoots Copp | Marijuana News | News

Who the hell is running the show over in Ottawa County?

The more I read about this the more incompetent these cops are seeming.

It's doubly ridiculous because they shouldn't have to serve warrants over non-violent drug charges that should not be crimes in the first place.

That cop should be fired if not charged.

Incompetent cop.

And he can't quite say that it was too dark to see if the student had a gun...since he was shining a flashlight on his arm.

I wrote a letter the other day authorizing one of my patients to use Medical Marijuana.

That was interesting.

I wrote a letter the other day authorizing one of my patients to use Medical Marijuana.

That was interesting.

What was their medical condition?

I assume that it's not asking your to violate their privacy, since we have no idea who they are, right?

Oh, about this cop who got shot by this cop?

That's unfortunate, but collatoral damages happen when a society's police forces declare war on their own citizens, don't they?

The cops are all charged up, seldom knowing if the people they are going after are hardened criminals or just some hapless stoner caught up in the madness that is the war on drugs.

And since the cops usually lack the ability to understand the difference between the real drug criminals, and hapless stoners, they just assume the worst.

I hope the kid sues the pants off Ottawa's County.

Ironically, however, I don't really blame the cop for making that mistake.

I blame the legislators for putting that cop and that kid into that position in the first place.

COPS ARE NOT THE ENEMY...legislators, however ARE.

That was interesting.

What was their medical condition?

I assume that it's not asking your to violate their privacy, since we have no idea who they are, right?

The medical condition is severe muscle spasticity in quadriplegic who had a cervical spinal cord injury.

And it's not a violation of their privacy as long as I don't give names.

Plus, I'm anonymous as well. :)

"Cop shoots unarmed marijuana activist"

I wonder how someone without arms smokes marijuana.

He must be very flexible and can hold the joint between his toes.

Either that, or bong.

Forum List

Back