Cook out and picnic fare

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Let's have some ideas for new and interesting summer fare.

I love grilling and smoking food and my wife and I , I think have elevated the picnic to a new level.

I'll start with a salad

Grilled Watermelon and feta salad

• 1 small red or yellow watermelon (3 to 4 pounds), preferably seedless and not too ripe
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing the melon
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
  • Juice of 1 large navel orange
  • Pinch of sea or kosher salt, or more to taste
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper; or more to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Cut these quarters into 2-inch-thick slices. Brush the slices lightly with olive oil and set aside until ready to grill.

Combine lime and orange juices. Taste; if it is too tart, add more orange juice. It should taste like a “sour” orange. Add the salt and cayenne and whisk continually while adding the oil in a thin stream. Whisk until thickened (emulsified). Taste and adjust the oil and salt to your liking. Add the mint and set aside.

Just before serving, place the oiled watermelon slices on a very clean cooking grate directly over the heat source. Grill until marked and just warmed through but still crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool.

Cut off the rinds and discard. Cut the watermelon into chunks and place in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Top with the feta, if desired, and sprinkle with another pinch of cayenne.

This is crazy delicious

Another salad

Grilled Corn tomato sweet onion salad

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 ears corn, grilled in the husk, kernels removed
1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), halved and thinly sliced
1 pint Sweet 100 tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish

Husk and clean corn

Over direct heat grill corn until hot all the way through with some kernels having a bit of a char

Let cool and remove corn from the cobs

Combine the vinegar, basil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and oil in a blender and blend until smooth. Can be made 2 hours in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.

Combine the corn kernels, onion and tomato in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat, season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Top with crumbled blue cheese and garnish with basil sprigs just before serving. Salad can be made 1 day in advance and served cold or at room temperature

Read more at: Grilled Corn and Tomato-Sweet Onion Salad with Fresh Basil Dressing and Crumbled Blue Cheese Recipe Bobby Flay Food Network

My favorite grilled chicken dish

Sweet and spicy orange glazed chicken thighs

1qt Orange, orange tangerine or orange pineapple juice
small red onion
garlic
fresh thyme
1 red thai pepper
2 oz maple syrup
fresh ground black pepper
dash of soy sauce

Sweat the onions and garlic in a little canola oil
add the pepper, thyme, chile and juice

Reduce by half

Strain

Add maple syrup and soy sauce set aside

Season and grill the chicken thighs and brush with glaze during the last 10 minutes of cooking

Serve with a slice of grilled pineapple

Now for one of my favorite summertime activities

The picnic

My wife and I are known to take long canoe outings and I always bring lunch.
One of our favorite places is a state park in MA that has a nice sized pond but we don't go there for the paddling.

There is an island in the middle that is first come first serve and we tend to get there early and stay all day.

We throw a couple coolers, chairs a roll up table, towels, a hammock and sometimes a small hibachi grill in the canoe along with the dogs and we just hang all day

This is a typical picnic lunch for us

Various local wines from out favorite vineyards, goat cheese, mozzarella, brie, fresh fruit and dried fruit pastes tomatoes cukes, a little hummus fresh baguettes a little smoked chicken and sometimes some cold lobster

CFF2-m47TLOsH3OWxpgunDVSlbUftKXkzHeZpSHdUpILAYspN

Forum List

Back