Consumer prices excluding food and energy fell in January.

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Low inflation gives Fed room to keep rates down

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer Martin Crutsinger, Ap Economics Writer – 4 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The Federal Reserve seems likely to keep interest rates at record lows for several more months after news Friday that consumer prices excluding food and energy fell in January.

It was the first time such prices have fallen in any month since 1982.

Low inflation gives Fed room to keep rates down - Yahoo! News

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer Martin Crutsinger, Ap Economics Writer – 4 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The Federal Reserve seems likely to keep interest rates at record lows for several more months after news Friday that consumer prices excluding food and energy fell in January.

Food prices will rise this summer, along with gasoline prices.

Funny...

I know that when I make my budget I don't exclude things like food and fuel...

Well, 0bamanomics makes up it's own rules anyway....

At least he saved 8 bajillion jobs last year....

Funny...

Not Obama, Bush also provided the same figures minus food and energy.
And called it "core" Hmm can't get much more core than food and energy.

Food prices will rise this summer, along with gasoline prices.

food and energy prices already went up during the period being reported in this thread.

I'd like to see those people in charge of determining the cost of living try to live without food and energy.

Funny...

Don't really care who's telling us this is a good thing...

It isn't...

Funny...

It isn't...

No it isn't.
does anyone know which number is used for calcualting COLA increases? Including or excluding food and energy?

Last edited:
Funny...

The compilation of the CPI has nothing to do with Obama, though.

It's the Federal Reserve who uses the "core" data, which excludes food and energy.

It's just a bullshit way to justify keeping rates lower.

The Fed did raise the discount rate by 1/4 point though.

It isn't...

No it isn't.
does anyone know which number is used for calcualting COLA increases? Including or excluding food and energy?

The ONLY thing the core CPI is used for is....actually I can't think of anything. The FED uses the core PCE for determining interest rates (unless they've switched back to the CPI and I missed it).

SSN increases etc are based off of the CPI-W all items. Which includes food and energy.

Food and energy are some of the biggest necessities, so if including those items actually creates an increase in prices, then it's a pretty sure bet that inflation is on its way.

If the media is focusing on core data, they're trying to trick the laymen into thinking things are ok. Wall street knows better, and in fact, the smartest money knows where to be.

Like I've said before, there's a REASON why gold is still at all-time highs while we're in what would otherwise be considered a deflationary economic environment.

Falling prices equates to a falling demand for goods. Which given high unemployment and 15 - 24 months of economic uncertainty, should not be too surprising.

When the arabs thought we were going to stop driving our cars going into the recession, they opened the spigot and fuel prices fell. Once they saw that we will keep on rollin' they tightened up the supplies a bit.

With the effects of global warming shortening this year's growing seasons, food prices will remain volatile. If you haven't planned to do so already, it would be a good year to plant a garden.

The Warmers do their science the exact same way: if you don't count the places where it was cooler, Earth is definitely getting warmer

Food and energy are some of the biggest necessities, so if including those items actually creates an increase in prices, then it's a pretty sure bet that inflation is on its way.

If the media is focusing on core data, they're trying to trick the laymen into thinking things are ok. Wall street knows better, and in fact, the smartest money knows where to be.

Like I've said before, there's a REASON why gold is still at all-time highs while we're in what would otherwise be considered a deflationary economic environment.
Of course prices will increase, increased prices on food and energy housing was what was making our economy look far better than it was before it fell on it's ass.
The dumbasses we have running our govt and finiances seem to think this was a good thing and will claim economic victory when rising prices raise the GDP once again.

Last edited:

It isn't...

No it isn't.

The ONLY thing the core CPI is used for is....actually I can't think of anything. The FED uses the core PCE for determining interest rates (unless they've switched back to the CPI and I missed it).

SSN increases etc are based off of the CPI-W all items. Which includes food and energy.
Thanks for the info. I am glad they use the entire figure for SS increases. Becuase when you live on SS food and energy are where much of your money goes.

Falling prices equates to a falling demand for goods. Which given high unemployment and 15 - 24 months of economic uncertainty, should not be too surprising.

When the arabs thought we were going to stop driving our cars going into the recession, they opened the spigot and fuel prices fell. Once they saw that we will keep on rollin' they tightened up the supplies a bit.

With the effects of global warming shortening this year's growing seasons, food prices will remain volatile. If you haven't planned to do so already, it would be a good year to plant a garden.

This will be my third year with an attempt at a garden....hopefully, this year's will be better than last years. The beans I grew were so stringy we couldn't eat them. Didn't plant enough of them either. My tomatoes were about 1/3 the size of most of my friend's that have gardens.....I just don't have a green thumb, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Funny...

they've excluded fuel since at least the seventies, i think. food hasn't been as long, but it was prior to the current misadministration.

when gas went from 40 cents a gallon to $1.40/gal they had to do something about inflation, you know. i wish it was that easy in real life.

Oh, if you exclude fuel, it costs me almost nothing to drive my car

Last edited:

Forum List

Back