Constitutionality of Clinton as Secretary of State...

as for secession just try and see what happens! And as for Texas, you guys are free to go anytime!:evil:

Welcome to Texas. What country are you from?

When you're from Texas, people who you meet ask you
questions like, "Do you have any cows?"
It's nice to be able to say yes.
They ask you, "Do you have horses?"
Yup.
Bet you got a bunch of guns, eh?
Of course.
They all want to know if you've been to Southfork.
They watched Dallas. Have you ever looked at a map of
the world? Why sure you have. Look at Texas for me
just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle
and the Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio
Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will
be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at
it, they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid
off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of
Texas in the dirt, and he'll know what it is.What
happens if I show you a picture of any other state?
You'll get it maybe after a second, but who else
would? Even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings
in you?

In every man, woman and child on this little rock the
Good Lord put us on, there is somewhere in them a
person who wishes just once he could be a real live
Texan and get up on a horse or ride in a pickup. Did
you ever hear anyone in a restaurant go, "Wow... so
you're from Ok-la-homa. Cool. Tell me about it"?
There is some bit of Texas in everyone. Do you know
why? Because Texas is Texas.

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a
church, facing thousands of Mexican soldiers, fighting
for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save
themselves but stayed. We send our kids to schools
named William B. Travis and Bowie, and do you know
why? Because those men saw a line in the sand, and
they decided to be heroes. John
Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is Texas.
Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Ana at San
Jacinto. Texas is Texas Independence Day and
Juneteenth. Texas is huge forests of piney woods like
the Davy Crockett National Forest. Texas is
breathtaking mountains in Big Bend. Texas is shiny
skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas. Texas is oak and
cedar trees, cactus, Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush
in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Texas is world
record bass from places like Lake Fork. Texas is
Mexican food like nowhere in the world, even Mexico.
Texas is larger-than-life legends like Earl Campbell
and Nolan Ryan, Denton Cooley and Michael DeBakey,
Lyndon Johnson, George Bush, and George W. Bush,
Willie Nelson and Buddy Holly. Texas is great
companies like Dell Computer and Compaq. Texas is huge
herds of cattle and miles of crops. Texas is skies
blackened with doves and leases full of deer. Texas is
the best Bar-b-que anywhere. Texas is a place where
cities shut down for the Cowboys on Monday Night
Football and the streets are deserted during church.

Texas is beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains
and prairies.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S.
that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S.
flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars
and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland, or California, or
Maine, and your state flag goes at 17. You fly the
Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in
Longview, Texas, at 20 feet, and the Lone Star flies
at 20 feet. Our capitol is the only one in the country
that is taller than the capitol building in D.C. We
signed those in as part of the deal when we came
on. Texas was its own country. The Republic of Texas.
Every time I think of all these things I tear up.
All of them make you proud to be a Texan.

For those who wish to slowly acclimate to Texas, you may need some general southron rules to hep you get r did.

1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.

2. If you forget a Southerner's name, refer to him (or her) as "Bubba". You have a 75% chance of being right.

3. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can. Stay home the two days of the year it snows.

4. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

5. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.

6. Do not buy food at the movie store.

7. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

8. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

9. There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a southern accent, unless it is a southerner imitating a Boston accent.

10.Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?"

11.People walk slower here.

12.Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

13.The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in"big ol' truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new Southern influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.

14.The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

15.Be advised: The "He needed killin'" defense is valid here.

16.If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.

17.If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.

18.Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore those who do. In fact, if you see a signal blinking on a car with a Southern license plate, you may rest assured that it was on when the car was purchased.

19.Northerners can be identified by the spit on the inside of their car's windshield that comes from yelling at other drivers.

20. The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.

21.If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the most minuscule accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the store, it is just something you're supposed to do.

22.Satellite dishes are very popular in the South. When you purchase one it is to be positioned directly in front of your trailer. This is logical, bearing in mind that the dish cost considerably more than the trailer and should, therefore, be displayed.

23.Tornadoes and Southerners going through a divorce have a lot in common. In either case, you know someone is going to lose a trailer.

24.Florida is not considered a Southern state. There are far more Yankees than Southerners living there.

25.In Southern churches you will here the hymn, All Glory, Laud and Honor. You will also here expressions such as, "Laud, have mercy", Good Laud", and "Laudy, Laudy, Laudy".

26.As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.

27.You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

And, lest you think we are not Gentlemanly.......

In a crowded city at a crowded bus stop, a beautiful young woman was waiting for the bus. She was decked out in a tight leather mini Skirt with matching tight leather boots and jacket. .

As the bus rolled up and it became her turn to get on, she became aware that her skirt was too tight to allow her leg to come up to the height of the first step on the bus. Slightly embarrassed and with a quick smile to the bus driver she reached behind her and unzipped her skirt a little thinking that this would give her enough slack to raise her leg. Again she tried to make the step onto the bus only to discover she still couldn't!.

So, a little more embarrassed she once again reached behind her and unzipped her skirt a little more and for a second time attempted the step and once again, much to her chagrin she could not raise her leg because of the tight skirt. So, with a coy little smile to the driver she again unzipped the offending skirt to give little more slack and again was unable to make the step..

About this time the big Texan that was behind her in the line Picked her up easily from the waist and placed her lightly on the step of the bus. .

Well, she went ballistic and turned on the would-be hero, Screeching at him, "How dare you touch my body!! I don't even know who you are!".

At this the Texan drawled "Well ma'am normally I would agree with you but after you unzipped my fly three times, I kinda figured that we was friends."

Oh, and just to be sure we all know who is who and what is where..................

Texans in Heaven

Gabriel came to the Lord and said " I have to talk to you. We have some

Texans up here in Heaven who are causing problems. They're swinging on

the pearly gates, my horn is missing, barbecue sauce is all over their

robes, their dogs are riding in the chariots, and they're wearing

baseball caps and cowboy hats instead of their halos. They refuse to

keep the stairway to Heaven clean. There are watermelon seeds and pig

feet bones all over the place. Some of them are walking around with just one wing."

The Lord said, "I made them special, Gabriel. Heaven is Home to all my

children. If you really want to know about real problems, let's call the Devil."

The Devil answered the phone, " Hello? Damn, hold on a minute."

The Devil returned to the phone, "O.K., I'm back. What can I do for you?"

The Lord replied, "I just want to know what kind of problems you're having down there."

The Devil said, "Hold on again. I need to check on something."

After about 5 minutes the Devil returned to the phone and said, "I'm

back. Now what was the question?"

The Lord said, "What kind of problems are you having down there?"

The Devil said, "Man, I don't believe this....Hold on, Lord."

This time the Devil was gone 15 minutes. The Devil returned and said ,

"I'm sorry Lord, I can't talk right now. Them damn Texans done put out

the fire and are trying to install air conditioning."

Silly me. I actually read that article as a serious, non-partisan piece. And then I got to the last paragraph...

And aside from the constitutional issue, Hillary Clinton's long track record of corruption makes her a terrible choice to serve as the nation's top diplomat.

Which makes me wonder if it's all bollocks.

Silly me. I actually read that article as a serious, non-partisan piece. And then I got to the last paragraph...

Which makes me wonder if it's all bollocks.

Look at the pertinent portion of the Constitution to answer that question.

Look at the pertinent portion of the Constitution to answer that question.

You mean Article 1, Section 6? Yeah, I read that. I also checked it on the Cornell website to make sure that it had not been edited. And I did all that right before I read the other bit which sounded like partisan bollocks.

I still don't see it's a big issue.

no....those making the claim that somehow it's unconstitutional for her to take the position do. it's cute how a Republican President was able to get around it but now ya'll want the dem to follow the exact letter of the constitution.

when you consider that the outgoing President had about as much regard for the consitution as a roll of toliet paper I don't think this one article means that much in the big picture.

Actually, this has merit. The fix is easy and has precedence, but it is still meritorious. This is legally interesting.

Furthermore, in which instances has Bush acted in contradicton to the Constitution? Bear in mind that the only person's qualified to make that judgement wear black robes and begin meeting on the First Monday in October. If you are going to spew Dem taling points then be repared to back them up.

US Constitution said:
Article 1, Section 6

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

I consulted my copy of the Constitution and Constitutional finding would dictate that Hillary Clinton is inelligible to be SecState. The civil office in question recieved a raise during her tenure in the Senate. The Saxbe fix would apply. The problem with Judicial watches article is that it completely disregards previous legislative action. Until the High Court rules that any legislative remedy on the matter is unconstitutonal, the Saxbe fix could be applied and easily passed in a fully Democratic congress.

Judicial Watch does bring good points, but they are politically flawed. At one point in the article To Fitton says that Clinton's corrupt nature makes her unfit to serve. What the hell does that have to with the Constitutionality of her appointment. My view is that the Saxbe fix will be applied. This is really something out of nothing and not unprecdented.

The law, the constitution and the truth have never stood between the Clintons and anything they want, nor they be obstacles to Obama.

You mean Article 1, Section 6? Yeah, I read that. I also checked it on the Cornell website to make sure that it had not been edited. And I did all that right before I read the other bit which sounded like partisan bollocks.

I still don't see it's a big issue.

Well they'll have to ignore the Constitution to appoint her as Secretary of State, and that's a fairly big issue.

A strict interpretation of law would still recognize 'he' as a pronoun pertaining to both genders.
Sez you, who must look at history through rose colored glasses. At its writing, the constitution pretty much only covered white males.

Though if that were the true intent at the time of the writing, it would have been easy to state it plainly and put that caveat into the language. Simply require that the official not accept the benefit of the increased salary, etc. But it was not written that way.
It's even murkier than that, spelling errors in your link aside.

or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased

Emoluments 1: the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites

Notice they didn't say salary or monetary compensation.

Being that the salary of both positions is a pittance in the overall scheme of things you should apply emoluments as perquisites. And the perks of one job being greater is subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. In this case, the ones that DON'T see it are the ones with the agenda.

Can't ANYTHING be discussed on merit without political hacks chiming in?
Hello? Read the article, it was written by a partisan hack. Why are you ashamed of your partisan hackery, btw? Be proud, be loud.

Well they'll have to ignore the Constitution to appoint her as Secretary of State, and that's a fairly big issue.

Duh! I'm saying there is a precedent for this situation being overcome. Crimson makes a good point - it is legally interesting, but nothing more.

Duh! I'm saying there is a precedent for this situation being overcome. Crimson makes a good point - it is legally interesting, but nothing more.

There is a precedent for it. The interesting question, to me, is whether the Legislature's actions in terms of establishing that precedent are valid. It is interesting to think about to what extent the Legislature can act on its own to negate a Constitutional provision that is specifically directed to limiting the members of the Legislative.

Sez you, who must look at history through rose colored glasses. At its writing, the constitution pretty much only covered white males.

No problem, various amendments have fixed that. Corrupt minority, sexually confused, ugly women, who own small business or large and are occasionally under sniper fire are now covered as well.

There is a precedent for it. The interesting question, to me, is whether the Legislature's actions in terms of establishing that precedent are valid. It is interesting to think about to what extent the Legislature can act on its own to negate a Constitutional provision that is specifically directed to limiting the members of the Legislative.

As an academic exercise this is the best comment. Repped.

No problem, various amendments have fixed that. Corrupt minority, sexually confused, ugly women, who own small business or large and are occasionally under sniper fire are now covered as well.

Thanks.

I posted it as a subject for academic discussion. You get the partisans who are offended by the idea of even discussing it, but as I said I support Obama and I like his choice for the SoS position. The Constitutional aspect of it is interesting, though, and if you separate it from the Clinton issue and look at it in terms of Constitutional powers, it would be akin to Bush using executive order or other power to redefine or negate a Constitutional provision that specifically limited the power of the Presidency. I'm not sure we should be comfortable with our elected officials viewing Constitutional prohibitions in that fashion.

I appreciate those who contributed to the substantive discussion of the issue.

Wrong, as the ERA was never ratified.

The Constitution doesn't say "...unless the compensation is placed back to it's previous level," therefore it would still be unconstitutional.

I agree, it is a very interesting legal question to ponder. I don't think it will, nor do I think it should prohibit Hillary from becoming SOS. They will do the same as they've done in the past and adjust the salary back and move on.

And for the record, I think Hillary will be do a great job! :D

Forum List

Back