Conservative dad threatens ‘sh*tstorm’ if daughter’s world history class includes Islam

Conservative dad threatens ‘sh*tstorm’ if daughter’s world history class includes Islam

An angry father has been banned from a Maryland high school’s campus after he made vague but ominous threats against the school because his daughter’s history homework mentioned the Islamic faith.

BayNet.com reported that La Plata High School in Charles County, Maryland has issued a No Trespass order after parent Kevin Wood — a former U.S. Marine — called the school and threatened to disrupt classes if his daughter’s world history class continued to study the religion and its impact on human history.

Wood reportedly telephoned Vice Principal Shannon Morris last Thursday enraged over a homework assignment which dealt with the formation of Middle Eastern empires centuries ago. History teacher Katie O’Malley Simpson said that the history curriculum has never been considered controversial in the past.

It's got to be genetic, Conservative stupidity.

The class was to concentrate on the "5 pillars of Islam" - that's teaching religion. You can't even MENTION Christianity in school. Besides - there are only TWO things children need to know about Islam - the twin towers.

I did not see anything about the "5 Pillars of Islam" in the article, or in any other article on this event. Do you have a link to share?

An angry father has been banned from a Maryland high school’s campus after he made vague but ominous threats against the school because his daughter’s history homework mentioned the Islamic faith.

BayNet.com reported that La Plata High School in Charles County, Maryland has issued a No Trespass order after parent Kevin Wood — a former U.S. Marine — called the school and threatened to disrupt classes if his daughter’s world history class continued to study the religion and its impact on human history.

Wood reportedly telephoned Vice Principal Shannon Morris last Thursday enraged over a homework assignment which dealt with the formation of Middle Eastern empires centuries ago. History teacher Katie O’Malley Simpson said that the history curriculum has never been considered controversial in the past.

The class was to concentrate on the "5 pillars of Islam" - that's teaching religion. You can't even MENTION Christianity in school. Besides - there are only TWO things children need to know about Islam - the twin towers.

And they DO, in fact, mention Christianity in the course. That was clearly stated in the article.

A federal judge and the appeals court disagreed, saying the class had an instructional purpose and the students had engaged in no actual religious exercises.

As President Clinton would say, "that depend on the definition of is" - this sure looks like religious exercise to me:

. . . use Muslim names, recited prayers in class, had them memorize and recite a passage from the Quran and made them give up something for a day, such as television or candy, to simulate fasting during the month of Ramadan.
You're OK with schools requiring the participation of all students in reciting the Lord's Prayer every morning and giving up something for Lent?

Is that what they are doing in the school in the OP? Or is that what happened in another school, so you assume it is what happens every where?

You're the fellow who made this statement: "they are not praying or practicing the religion." I asked you how you KNOW this to be the case and I cited an instance of a course of studies, upheld by courts, which did involve praying and practicing religion.

I have a factual basis for my position. What is the factual basis for your claim that that there is no prayer or practice of Islam taking place. How do you KNOW THIS?

from:Conservative dad threatens sh tstorm if daughter s world history class includes Islam

"“This is a world history class,” she explained. “We are not teaching religion. Part of those world history studies involves the economics of a region and part of that is the religion which relates to the economy of that part of the world. In the Middle East, Islam is the only religion and it contributes greatly to the economics of the region.”"

"Charles County Board of Education member Jennifer Abell posted a statement on Facebook explaining that some people are spreading “misinformation” about the No Trespass order.
“The particular unit in question at La Plata High School is on the formation of Middle Eastern empires in which students learned the basic concepts of the Islamic faith and how it, along with politics, culture, economics and geography, contributed to the development of the Middle East,” Abell wrote"

That's it? That California school also stated that they're not teaching Islam and the courts backed them up, yet they're reciting prayers, memorizing verses of the Qur'an, and fasting. I don't know what the 9th Circuit uses as the definition of "teaching religion" but apparently reciting prayers and memorizing verses and fasting fall on the side of not teaching Islam.

Sorry, a school official saying that they're not teaching doesn't really back you up.

I did not see anything about the "5 Pillars of Islam" in the article, or in any other article on this event. Do you have a link to share?

I absolutely do:

Fed-Up Marine Dad Confronts School Officials Over Daughter s Mandatory Islam Assignment Here s How They Responded Video TheBlaze.com

This story was reported on several sites. Do your own checking from now on.

A federal judge and the appeals court disagreed, saying the class had an instructional purpose and the students had engaged in no actual religious exercises.

As President Clinton would say, "that depend on the definition of is" - this sure looks like religious exercise to me:

. . . use Muslim names, recited prayers in class, had them memorize and recite a passage from the Quran and made them give up something for a day, such as television or candy, to simulate fasting during the month of Ramadan.
You're OK with schools requiring the participation of all students in reciting the Lord's Prayer every morning and giving up something for Lent?

Is that what they are doing in the school in the OP? Or is that what happened in another school, so you assume it is what happens every where?

You're the fellow who made this statement: "they are not praying or practicing the religion." I asked you how you KNOW this to be the case and I cited an instance of a course of studies, upheld by courts, which did involve praying and practicing religion.

I have a factual basis for my position. What is the factual basis for your claim that that there is no prayer or practice of Islam taking place. How do you KNOW THIS?

from:Conservative dad threatens sh tstorm if daughter s world history class includes Islam

"“This is a world history class,” she explained. “We are not teaching religion. Part of those world history studies involves the economics of a region and part of that is the religion which relates to the economy of that part of the world. In the Middle East, Islam is the only religion and it contributes greatly to the economics of the region.”"

"Charles County Board of Education member Jennifer Abell posted a statement on Facebook explaining that some people are spreading “misinformation” about the No Trespass order.
“The particular unit in question at La Plata High School is on the formation of Middle Eastern empires in which students learned the basic concepts of the Islamic faith and how it, along with politics, culture, economics and geography, contributed to the development of the Middle East,” Abell wrote"

That's it? That California school also stated that they're not teaching Islam and the courts backed them up, yet they're reciting prayers, memorizing verses of the Qur'an, and fasting. I don't know what the 9th Circuit uses as the definition of "teaching religion" but apparently reciting prayers and memorizing verses and fasting fall on the side of not teaching Islam.

Sorry, a school official saying that they're not teaching doesn't really back you up.

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. The school official described the course content. That is the issue.

Part of the problem is that any time someone mentions Islam, you get knee-jerk reactions, like the one in this thread that stated "Besides - there are only TWO things children need to know about Islam - the twin towers".

That may suffice for him, but when studying the formation of empires in the middle east, it is a bit lacking.

I doubt yuo could find anyone at these schools who didn't know why Xmas is celebrated, or easter, or the basic tenets of the Christian faith. The same is not true for Islam or Buddhism. So when they study the areas of world history in which those other faiths had a profound effect, some instruction concerning the faiths themselves is necessary.

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. The school official described the course content. That is the issue.

Part of the problem is that any time someone mentions Islam, you get knee-jerk reactions, like the one in this thread that stated "Besides - there are only TWO things children need to know about Islam - the twin towers".

That may suffice for him, but when studying the formation of empires in the middle east, it is a bit lacking.

I doubt yuo could find anyone at these schools who didn't know why Xmas is celebrated, or easter, or the basic tenets of the Christian faith. The same is not true for Islam or Buddhism. So when they study the areas of world history in which those other faiths had a profound effect, some instruction concerning the faiths themselves is necessary.

That's absolute bullshit and you know it. God, you guys are something else.

I absolutely do:

Fed-Up Marine Dad Confronts School Officials Over Daughter s Mandatory Islam Assignment Here s How They Responded Video TheBlaze.com

I read several articles about the event, and none mentioned this. So I ask for a link. If that is too diificult for you, whine to someone else.

The article you linked also said "“You can’t study God or Christianity in school.", but the curriculum does, in fact, cover Christianity when discussing the middle ages in Europe, since the religion was a major player in those times.

That's absolute bullshit and you know it. God, you guys are something else.

Academics is beyond you? Not my problem.

If students are to learn how the empires were formed, they cannot avoid the discussion of the religion that was the single biggest social and economic force in the area at the time.

I absolutely do:

I read several articles about the event, and none mentioned this. So I ask for a link. If that is too diificult for you, whine to someone else.

The article you linked also said "“You can’t study God or Christianity in school.", but the curriculum does, in fact, cover Christianity when discussing the middle ages in Europe, since the religion was a major player in those times.

Took me 30 seconds to find BOTH a link and an interview on television. Apparently academics is well beyond your scope of pseudo-intellectualism. Now, you tell me, professor, do you not know how to research? I was taught that in my Freshman year at the University of Louisville.

I absolutely do:

The person quoted was the Father of the 11th grade student. Get your facts straight. Now, if the child was uncomfortable with the assignment - she SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN AN ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENT. Isn't that what you liberals are all about???

So now you've crossed over to acknowledging that there might be instruction in the faith. You try to justify it, and I don't find the justification out of order, but there is a bright line here and people have legitimate grounds to object. The fact that some students know the basics of Christianity doesn't imply that ALL students know, so why don't schools get in the business of instructing ALL students in the fundamental theological foundations of Christianity when this is necessary to contextualize the history of Europe which transpired over a period of more than a 1,000 years?

There are two avenues of criticism which can apply:

1.) No teaching of religion, any religion is permitted.
2.) Teach all religions uniformly. If Islamic scripture is read, then teach Christian scripture. If Islamic prayers are recited, then recite Christian prayers. No double standards permitted.

I absolutely do:

Took me 30 seconds to find BOTH a link and an interview on television. Apparently academics is well beyond your scope of pseudo-intellectualism. Now, you tell me, professor, do you not know how to research? I was taught that in my Freshman year at the University of Louisville.

Congrats. I did a search on the topic as it was listed. I got back, as usual, a long list of articles. I read the first few.

If providing a link for your claims causes you this much grief, you must have some serious issues.

I absolutely do:

The person quoted was the Father of the 11th grade student. Get your facts straight. Now, if the child was uncomfortable with the assignment - she SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN AN ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENT. Isn't that what you liberals are all about???

If I were a liberal I might have an answer for you. However, since I am not, you'll have to find another person to answer that for you.

I did, however, graduate with a degree in secondary ed, in comprehensive sciences. So I have dealt with asshole parents who demand that their little angels be given special assignments. I had one when teaching the theory of evolution in a biology class. The situation there was the same as the situation in the class in the OP. In order to understand the subject being studied (The Formation of Empires in the Middle east) they need to know some basic information about the people involved in that formation, the social structure involved, and the economic forces that caused the formation of those empires. Otherwise, the student will not understand.

Just like there is a discussion of Christianity during the study of the Middle ages in Europe, and the study of Buddhism in the study of the formation of institutions in China.

So now you've crossed over to acknowledging that there might be instruction in the faith. You try to justify it, and I don't find the justification out of order, but there is a bright line here and people have legitimate grounds to object. The fact that some students know the basics of Christianity doesn't imply that ALL students know, so why don't schools get in the business of instructing ALL students in the fundamental theological foundations of Christianity when this is necessary to contextualize the history of Europe which transpired over a period of more than a 1,000 years?

There are two avenues of criticism which can apply:

1.) No teaching of religion, any religion is permitted.
2.) Teach all religions uniformly. If Islamic scripture is read, then teach Christian scripture. If Islamic prayers are recited, then recite Christian prayers. No double standards permitted.

And, as the article states, they study Christianity when it is a force in the history of the area, and they study Buddhism when it is the force in the area of study. No double standard.

And they DO, in fact, mention Christianity in the course. That was clearly stated in the article.

Really? I read, the re-read the article. Where exactly was Christianity mentioned. Granted, I'm an old man and could have missed it - but I don't think so. Again, if Christianity is mentioned in the public school system - the usual suspects (Freedom from religion, Atheists, etc) with their dime-story lawyers ready for litigation.

I absolutely do:

Congrats. I did a search on the topic as it was listed. I got back, as usual, a long list of articles. I read the first few.

If providing a link for your claims causes you this much grief, you must have some serious issues.

Hey, it's no problem for me, professor. I just figured that in your zeal for self-righteousness, you'd have already done your research BEFORE you shot your mouth off.

Last edited:

I absolutely do:

If I were a liberal I might have an answer for you. However, since I am not, you'll have to find another person to answer that for you.

I did, however, graduate with a degree in secondary ed, in comprehensive sciences. So I have dealt with asshole parents who demand that their little angels be given special assignments. I had one when teaching the theory of evolution in a biology class. The situation there was the same as the situation in the class in the OP. In order to understand the subject being studied (The Formation of Empires in the Middle east) they need to know some basic information about the people involved in that formation, the social structure involved, and the economic forces that caused the formation of those empires. Otherwise, the student will not understand.

Just like there is a discussion of Christianity during the study of the Middle ages in Europe, and the study of Buddhism in the study of the formation of institutions in China.

Ah, I see. A "teacher". Gotcha. You live by the credo that you don't answer to parents, right. Now I get it. Your credibility just went south with me. I got one of yours fired a couple of years ago - after a lengthy suspension - for telling her class (of which my Grand Daughter was a student) that "we deserved to be attacked because we are an evil nation". That bitch is now unemployed and my Grand Daughter now attends private school.

We're done here.

If it were in Episcopal school, sure.

But . . . in this case, it is one of a series of educational non-religious sets of lessons that rotate through various religions at the appropriate time in history.

I would certainly want lessons for my grandchildren in Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism in Ancient History and then Christianity and Islam in Western History.

As historical subjects. Wouldn't you?

Forum List

Back