Congress Strikes Deal to Fund Government…For Now

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Trajan, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    as of now- they punted, again.

No budget for 2013, thats a pipe dream apparently.....another Continuing Resolution.

They just cannot do their jobs, period. Totally dysfunctional gov..

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker John Boehner today announced a six-month agreement to avert a government shutdown. But the deal punts a larger spending battle to next January after whoever gets elected this November takes office.

“We’ve got an agreement,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said today following the Democrats weekly caucus lunch. “This is very good, because we can resolve these critical issues that directly affect the country soon as the election’s over and move on to do good things. It puts this out of the way, and that’s very important.”

Congress will not pass the legislation before the August recess, but leaders said they expect to vote on it shortly after returning from a five-week recess September 10.

“During the August district work period, committee members and their staff will write legislation that can be passed by the House and Senate in September and sent to President Obama to be signed into law,” Boehner, R-Ohio, wrote in a statement announcing the deal.

The White House called the deal “a welcome development.”

“The President has made clear that it is essential that the legislation to fund the government adheres to the funding levels agreed to by both parties last year, and not include ideological or extraneous policy riders,” White House press secretary Jay Carney wrote in a statement. “The President will work with leaders in both parties to sign a bill that accomplishes these goals.”

Current funding runs out on Sept 30, leaving just eight legislative days on the House schedule after Labor Day to get something passed through both chambers. An appropriations aide said the committee “won’t even start writing [the continuing resolution] until we get updated info from CBO/OMB in late August.”

more at-
    Congress Strikes Deal to Fund Government…For Now - ABC News

I guess they just had to do something to validate their month off....what a mess.

2. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Wow, it's amazing they think this is good work. Obama welcomes it, what a leader, lol.

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,480
    Sigh. I am afraid that if we don't get more true reformers into Congress and a competent leader into the White House, they're going to push us so close to the edge of the cliff we won't be able to stop in time. :(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ItsjustmeIthink

ItsjustmeIthink Social Capitalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If the GOP wasn't so fixated on "zero compromise" in regards to the debt ceiling then all of this could have been avoided.

On a side not, I just wanted to get this out there: Arguing that the debt celing issue is "politics as usual" isn't really vaild. While its true that the debt celing has been used as a poltical instrument around 70 times in the past, how many times did Standard&Poor downgrade our credit rating on the basis of "poltical brinkmanship"?

5. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,552
    How many times did our debt hit $15 trillion?

6. ItsjustmeIthink

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Were you trying to make a point or something?
    Does our level of debt excuse them from taking the debt ceiling issue too far? I would think the fact that our debt is so high would be reason for them to cast aside politics completely, and work to get it under controll. Sadly, we all know that didn't happen.

7. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    sigh...This is just going to go on and on and on and on and on.

we need to clear the ENTIRE congress, Republican AND Democrat and start over with all newbies.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So what happened to the mandatory accross the board cuts agreed to by both parties?

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,480
    Oh the cuts are there USC, they're just pushed 10 to 20 years down the road. This is the most insane lie we have EVER accepted from our government from either party; i.e. the idea they they've done their job by writing numbers into the future that most won't be around at that time and/or everybody will have long forgotten or amended them by the time they get there.

10. ItsjustmeIthink

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think it would work better for us and government if two things were to happen:

First- People need to be smarter. They need to be better educated on the proper workings of government and that leads to number...

...TWO- We need a much improved and streamlined process for holding individual politicans accoutable for their actions.

With informed and responible citizenry....just imagine the possiblites.