Congress Asks Obama, "Why No Declaration Of War?

I never said that someone somewhere shouldn't have done something in Libya. But that can be said for a lot of places. My concern (and others) is that Obama didn't properly make a case for the attacks. We are now invested in the outcome. Its not so much the attacks its what happens down the road. We attacked Libya once and then we got Pan Am. If Gaddafi is left in power and isolated like he was before, what might happen next time? The UN certainly isn't going to protect us from a new terrorist attack formulated by Gaddafi in Tripoli.

Like I said, I'm 100% positive our President has much more inside info on the situation than you, or I, and so you'd be opining here without really knowing fully what you're talking about.

We have a responsibility to the U.N., and people may not like that but it's a fact and imho, it probably keeps the World safer be that as it may.

I'm sure that he does. However, I don't see the national security threat from Libya pre-bombing. Whether or not Qaddafi remains in power there is enormous potential for a new national security threat. Obama liked to state that Iraq and Afghanistan were recruiting tools for terrorists. Another battlefield in a new Muslim nation is certainly adding to that list.

He said that before his top-grade security clearance.

I like to believe that there's intelligence so high in our Military that our actions in the M.E. are ALL strategic for a huge future purpose.

Like I said, I'm 100% positive our President has much more inside info on the situation than you, or I, and so you'd be opining here without really knowing fully what you're talking about.

We have a responsibility to the U.N., and people may not like that but it's a fact and imho, it probably keeps the World safer be that as it may.

I'm sure that he does. However, I don't see the national security threat from Libya pre-bombing. Whether or not Qaddafi remains in power there is enormous potential for a new national security threat. Obama liked to state that Iraq and Afghanistan were recruiting tools for terrorists. Another battlefield in a new Muslim nation is certainly adding to that list.

He said that before his top-grade security clearance.

I like to believe that there's intelligence so high in our Military that our actions in the M.E. are ALL strategic for a huge future purpose.

He had security clearances as a US senator while he was on Senate committees for foriegn relations and most certainly for his time on the Homeland Security Senate Committee. He was even on the Veteran's Affairs Committee. He had security clearances when he made his statements.

Military intelligence doesn't operate in nations we are not in conflict with. If there was usable intelligence concerning national security issues from Libya it would have been CIA or foriegn intelligence. But if the threat was so big why did we wait so long?

March 23, 2011

An unusual congressional alliance is taking President Obama to task for failing to seek a declaration of war in Libya. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R.-Md., and Rep. John Larson, D-Conn., both say the president is out of line, despite most members of their parties backing the no-fly zone.

:confused: This i don't understand!! Other President's went through Congress. What makes Obama think that he is above the law, and not follow the rules of Declarations of War.?

Is enforcing a no fly zone under the jurisdiction of the U.N. a War?>

Yes... Are you mentally retarded or just politically retarded?

So if me and 5 guys get together and all beat the living fucking shit out of you are you allowed to press charges? I mean I can just tell the judge I was just taking orders from the other guys and in no way did I attack the victim… right?

So go ahead you war loving dick, support Obama shooting missiles at another country and killing their army. Please make sure you tell everyone that killing another countries Army is not an act of war because Obama is Black or whatever BS reason you can think up at that very moment.

It’s like all the Bush bots just rolled over and became Obamabotz…

March 23, 2011

An unusual congressional alliance is taking President Obama to task for failing to seek a declaration of war in Libya. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R.-Md., and Rep. John Larson, D-Conn., both say the president is out of line, despite most members of their parties backing the no-fly zone.

:confused: This i don't understand!! Other President's went through Congress. What makes Obama think that he is above the law, and not follow the rules of Declarations of War.?

So if me and 5 guys get together and all beat the living fucking shit out of you are you allowed to press charges? I mean I can just tell the judge I was just taking orders from the other guys and in no way did I attack the victim… right?

So go ahead you war loving dick, support Obama shooting missiles at another country and killing their army. Please make sure you tell everyone that killing another countries Army is not an act of war because Obama is Black or whatever BS reason you can think up at that very moment.

Of course it's a WAR. ANY military action against another sovereign power is a WAR regardless of what entity sactions it.

GT is a dillusional person.

Of course it's a WAR. ANY military action against another sovereign power is a WAR regardless of what entity sactions it.

Yup... Now we can simply bypass the constitution because the UN defines war to mean... well... wait........ wtf does the UN define a war as, lolz?

Yup... Now we can simply bypass the constitution because the UN defines war to mean... well... wait........ wtf does the UN define a war as, lolz?

Exactly. The WAR POWERS ACT needs to be challanged in the SCOTUS. It defies the Constitution. And CIRCUMVENTS our Sovereignty.

March 23, 2011

Let me think.

Yes.

The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto.

The War Powers Act of 1973

Let me see, we attacked Libya on Friday, and he told Congress about it on Monday.

Tell me something, do you think he actually followed the law?

The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto.

The War Powers Act of 1973

Let me see, we attacked Libya on Friday, and he told Congress about it on Monday.

Tell me something, do you think he actually followed the law?

NOPE. And thus my assertion that he didn't Confer with the Congress.

In any event? The HOUSE needs to DEFUND the entire operation.

when was the last time we declared war? It seems like every president gets us into a military conflict w/o declaring war.

wwii

Are you a complete idiot, or do you just enjoy lying?

In Doe v Bush the court ruled that the Authorization for use of Military Force is the legal equivalent of a declaration of war. The Constitution says Congress has the power to declare war, but no where does it require that they use that specific language, nor does any law ever passed by Congress define the power in any way.

Don't let your ignorance make you look stupid.

March 23, 2011

What a crock of shit! We haven't declared war in over 60 years. I agree with the fact that congress should be the war making machine, but they gave that right away with W.

And you don't go to war on an Humanitarian effort especially when it was done with NATO who we are a part of. The USA didn't do this based on false information, it was done to stop killing of Libyans citizens by a ruthless killer.
I believe we had that opportunity in Iraq at one time but chose to do nothing and let him kill upwards of 5,000 Kurds. Then when we had no reason to START a REAL WAR we used false information, selective information, and very piss poor information to invade a country without a WAR proclamation being issued.

I for one don't want any of our soldiers fighting any other country on the ground for any reason other than we were attacked, or we are defending an allied nation whos being attacked.

We should remove Gaddafi by sanctions and other means, but no foot soldiers as far as I am concerned.

March 23, 2011

What a crock of shit! We haven't declared war in over 60 years. I agree with the fact that congress should be the war making machine, but they gave that right away with W.

And you don't go to war on an Humanitarian effort especially when it was done with NATO who we are a part of. The USA didn't do this based on false information, it was done to stop killing of Libyans citizens by a ruthless killer.
I believe we had that opportunity in Iraq at one time but chose to do nothing and let him kill upwards of 5,000 Kurds. Then when we had no reason to START a REAL WAR we used false information, selective information, and very piss poor information to invade a country without a WAR proclamation being issued.

I for one don't want any of our soldiers fighting any other country on the ground for any reason other than we were attacked, or we are defending an allied nation whos being attacked.

We should remove Gaddafi by sanctions and other means, but no foot soldiers as far as I am concerned.

W went to CONGRESS dumbass. Obama didn't.

eta: we've only formally declared war 5 times, ever.

Not true. We declared war 4 times in 1941-42 alone.

BTW, that "Formal Declaration of War" you are talking about has fallen out of general use because the the laws of war like the Hague and Geneva conventions apply to all international conflicts. That makes the formality of breaking off diplomatic relations and the associated hoople unnecessary.

Where does the war powers act say that American forces can be farmed out to act under the flag of the UN and/or NATO?

Do you know what a Treaty is and means? Also, while we're at it, it doesn't matter why we're using the force, the fact is it's LEGAL for the President to do so. Keep huffing.

It doesn't matter why?

Let us say that, for example, a president gets it into his head to invade Mexico. Are you saying that, as long as he tells Congress about it within 48 hours it is completely legal, and it would not matter what his motives are?

Where does the war powers act say that American forces can be farmed out to act under the flag of the UN and/or NATO?

War Powers Act In a nutshell...

§ 1541. Purpose and policy

(a) Congressional declaration It is the purpose of this chapter to fulfill the intent of the framers of the Constitution of the United States and insure that the collective judgment of both the Congress and the President will apply to the introduction of United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, and to the continued use of such forces in hostilities or in such situations.

(b) Congressional legislative power under necessary and proper clause Under article I, section 8, of the Constitution, it is specifically provided that the Congress shall have the power to make all laws necessary and proper for carrying into execution, not only its own powers but also all other powers vested by the Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any department or officer hereof.

(c) Presidential executive power as Commander-in-Chief; limitation The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to
(1) a declaration of war,
(2) specific statutory authorization, or
(3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.

Funny...I don't see it either...

SOURCE

WADR, guys, no it doesn't say it in The War Powers Act.

We are, however, obligated by our commitment to our treaties with the other members of the UN and NATO.

That being said, I am not a fan of this action.
I hope we do let France, Germany, et.al. take the lead. the US doesn't have to be the star each and every time.
It's also weird that we're involved to this extent in Libya but not In Syria or Yemen.
We dive into Iraq and Afghanistan but give Iran a pass.

As much of a debacle Afghanistan/Iraq was/is I see George W garnering a positive footnote in future history books for releasing the "freedom genie".
The oppressed nations in the middle east have gotten a taste of it and it's spreading like wildfire.

:cool:

(a) Congressional declaration It is the purpose of this chapter to fulfill the intent of the framers of the Constitution of the United States and insure that the collective judgment of both the Congress and the President will apply to the introduction of United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, and to the continued use of such forces in hostilities or in such situations.

(b) Congressional legislative power under necessary and proper clause Under article I, section 8, of the Constitution, it is specifically provided that the Congress shall have the power to make all laws necessary and proper for carrying into execution, not only its own powers but also all other powers vested by the Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any department or officer hereof.

(c) Presidential executive power as Commander-in-Chief; limitation The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to
(2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.

SOURCE

Look harder. We have a treaty with the UN. That's the Statutory Authorization.

What treaty do we have with the UN that involves us going to war simply because they decide it is a good idea?

(2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.

SOURCE

Look harder. We have a treaty with the UN. That's the Statutory Authorization.

What treaty do we have with the UN that involves us going to war simply because they decide it is a good idea?

There isn't...and he has problems with WAR POWERS ACT...

Forum List

Back