Conform to Biblical Principles Regarding Marriage

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by brneyedgrl80, Jul 27, 2004.

1. brneyedgrl80

brneyedgrl80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do you guys feel about this? I'm just wondering because many people are against gay marriages for religious reasons. Should the rest of these rules be applied as well? Everyone will have to click on the link to see the rest of the link because I cannot copy and paste it.

Beloved American patriot Jerry Falwell recently announced that he will devote the remainder of his Godly life to advocating a Constitutional amendment banning marriage between people of the same gender. The United States Department of Faith supports Mr. Falwell's desire to impose Biblical edicts on Americans of all faiths by converting the Constitution from a document that restricts the power of government into one that limits the so-called freedoms of individuals. Nevertheless, the Department of Faith also recognizes that the Bible is replete with verses restricting marriage in many ways, not merely as relates to Mr. Falwell's infatuation with men licking each other. As such, the USDOF has delivered to the President and each member of the U.S. Congress the following proposal to incorporate Biblical restrictions on marriage into our Christian nation's otherwise embarrassingly flawed and secular Constitution:

http://www.whitehouse.org/dof/marriage.asp

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I believe this is the white house parody site. Not an officially endorsed government site.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm not against same-sex marriages for 'just' biblical reasons....the biological reaons against a homosexual lifestyle alone are reasons why people should be discouraged from acting out their homosexual tendacies.

4. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Even if we leave out the fact that there are many atheists and agnostics, using the Bible as a reason to oppose homosexual marriage does not work unless you are willing to apply the entire Biblical advice and instructions. You can't simply pick and choose what you like from it and omit those bits and pieces that you don't like.

5. brneyedgrl80

brneyedgrl80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh I know DK, but I liked what they wrote as far as the proposed amendments, and well, I'm not well versed in the bible (read it once years ago). So I figured maybe someone who is well versed or at least someone who is religious could tell me how they feel about these other rules that the bible has about marriage. I'm just curious.

6. brneyedgrl80

brneyedgrl80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ya, I'm just wondering from a religious stand point. I know a lot people are against same-sex marriages because of religion. So I'm wondering what they think of the other rules that bible has about marriage.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

who is doing that? (shrug)

I apply the entire bible, contextually, to decisions I make, or support I need.

Every true Christian does. If somebody does 'not', their faith is likely has no merrit.

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    We should realize that while the principle of one man-one woman marriage is found in the Bible as something instituted by God, it has also been the basic unit of society ever since the creation of mankind (or the evolution of man, whatever your beliefs - subject for a different thread). Every successful and growing society has maintained the family unit; every society that tolerated rampant homosexuality (Sodom/Gomorrah, Greece, Rome) ended up falling from within. So yes, we find marriage in the Bible, but it is a universally recognized institution, and we are wise not to tinker with it.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Starla, the other rules you talk about are fairly simple:

1. Divorce, except for reason of adultery, was forbidden by Jesus.

2. Love, respect, and submit to the needs of the other spouse.

That about sums it up. Love and commitment are two great foundations for a healthy marriage.

10. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Who's poiint of veiw is this and who ever claimed him to be a patriot? LMAO

Bad link by the way.