Confirmed:Unemployment Benefits Cause Unemployment

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
One especially dim poster here has a statement I made to this effect as a sig line, with the crazy emoticon. I guess she will need to include 4 economists and their new study of unemployment benefits in her sig line, because they come to the same conclusion.
Unemployment benefits cause more unemployment, not less. Interestingly the major reason (there are several) is because the benefits put a floor on wages, a floor that is generally higher than employers are willing to pay. So there are fewer jobs created.
Review & Outlook: The Wages of Unemployment - WSJ.com

No more sacred idea exists in American public policy than unemployment benefits. Unemployment insurance is thought of as an act of compassion and a necessary stimulative intervention to avoid a vicious cycle in which joblessness begets more joblessness. Not surprisingly, the Great Recession caused states to dramatically increase unemployment insurance up to 99 weeks—from the more traditional 26.

A striking new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research concludes this is a mistake. Longer-term unemployment insurance, rather than supporting a recovery, likely makes unemployment persist.

"Most of the persistent increase in unemployment during the Great Recession can be accounted for by the unprecedented extensions of unemployment benefit eligibility," conclude the authors of "Unemployment Benefits and Unemployment in the Great Recession." What's the problem?

The four economist-authors adopted an ingenious approach: Given how widespread long-term unemployment insurance programs have become in the U.S., they were able to compare results in counties that adjoin but that sit in separate states.

Because these common geographical regions share weather, housing markets, industry and culture, the economists were able to isolate the effects of differences in the duration of unemployment insurance, with normal adjustments for variations in such things as foreclosure policies.

Places with more unemployment generosity remained worse off than those with less. Unemployment, the economists write, "rises dramatically in the border counties belonging to the states that expanded unemployment benefit duration" compared to the counties next door. The benefit extensions can explain "most of the persistently high unemployment after the Great Recession."
more at the source.

Link doesn't work but that's bullshit either way. First it says Unemployement benes INCREASED Unemployment. You change increased to "causes".

People out of work don't have it bad enough, you wanna fuck them some more by cutting their UI benefits. The WSJ report is bullshit! People receiving un-employment benefits would rather be working than getting these little payments.

I'm a perfect example. I'm collecting UI benefits. If I didn't have them, I couldn't pay my rent. I wouldn't have food to eat. I'd be a bum on the street if I didn't have these benefits.

And I've got resume's out all over town. I get 1-2 calls a week from recruiters asking me if they can send my resume to a company. If I'm lucky, I might get an interview. And if I'm real lucky, I might hear those magical words, "when can you start". I've only heard those words twice this year.

If I'm offered a job, I'll take it. Because you cannot stay on un-employment indefinately. Sooner or later, your benefits run out and then you're fucked!

Fuck this thread and fuck the OP!

People out of work don't have it bad enough, you wanna fuck them some more by cutting their UI benefits. The WSJ report is bullshit! People receiving un-employment benefits would rather be working than getting these little payments.

I'm a perfect example. I'm collecting UI benefits. If I didn't have them, I couldn't pay my rent. I wouldn't have food to eat. I'd be a bum on the street if I didn't have these benefits.

And I've got resume's out all over town. I get 1-2 calls a week from recruiters asking me if they can send my resume to a company. If I'm lucky, I might get an interview. And if I'm real lucky, I might hear those magical words, "when can you start". I've only heard those words twice this year.

If I'm offered a job, I'll take it. Because you cannot stay on un-employment indefinately. Sooner or later, your benefits run out and then you're fucked!

Fuck this thread and fuck the OP!

So if you had no UE benefits you would starve on the street? Rly?
No wonder you can't get a job. Your job skills suck.

Yeah the tough titty approach wont work want to know why?

Ask every society that has every existed what happens when the population go hungry. Seems like if your approach was so good ONE society...ONE Government...SOMEWHERE would be practicing it.

Curiously not one see it as a good idea.

So if you had no UE benefits you would starve on the street? Rly?
No. I'd be on the street starving.

Right now, these benefits are my only income. I've got 2 more months to find a job, because come January 14, my benefits will expire.

No wonder you can't get a job. Your job skills suck.
WTF do you know about my job skills? This is only the 3rd time I've been on UI since 1973. So fuck you and your baseless accusations.

Forum List

Back