Confirmed! Rich People Live Off The Work Of Others!

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Sundial, Dec 23, 2011.

  1. Sundial
    Offline

    Sundial Class Warrior

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,231
    Thanks Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Ratings:
    +106
    The IRS report for the richest 400 Americans shows that only 6.5% of their income came from wages and salaries. The rest - 93.5% - came from unearned income. "Unearned income" is the profits that accrue to the rich by virtue of their ownership of things. When corporate profits, for example, go up, the wealth of the rich increases.

    The rich themselves do not create those profits, though. The profits are mostly created by the people who work at the corporations - the profit "creators", so to speak. The rich benefit from the hard work of others, but they mostly don't participate - not unless they feel like, anyway.

    Link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/07intop400.pdf
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    400 people is hardly representative of all the hated "rich", Captain Strawman.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. Sundial
    Offline

    Sundial Class Warrior

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,231
    Thanks Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Ratings:
    +106
    People define "rich" in different ways. For some people, a $100k salary is rich. For others, it's just scrapping by. In this case, I'm talking about the super-rich. They're definitely not representative of - I don't know, the upper middle class? But they are representative of themselves - the people who own this country.
     
  4. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I'm sure his sidekick Red Herring will be along shortly.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Liberoidal dingleberries like you define "rich" in any way that it furthers your envy and covetousness.

    Get a life.
     
  6. Sundial
    Offline

    Sundial Class Warrior

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,231
    Thanks Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Ratings:
    +106
    According to this, the effective tax rate for this group has declined from almost 30% in the 90s to about 16 or 17% today - Evan as their share of all income has increased.
     
  7. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    ...only a matter of time. :lol:
     
  8. Oddball
    Offline

    Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    41,428
    Thanks Received:
    8,397
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Tough shit.

    Go get a job, you looter.
     
  9. Sundial
    Offline

    Sundial Class Warrior

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,231
    Thanks Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Ratings:
    +106
    That's sort of the point. The people who work - the profit creators - have jobs. They work. The rich, on the other hand - the profit takers - don't work. At least, not unless they feel like it.

    Like most middle income Americans, I have a job. I work. The richest of the rich, on the other hand, mostly don't. They consume.
     
  10. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Now I understand your point.
    Yer whining because you didn't win the sperm lottery of being born rich.
    There are steps you can take so that your children win that lottery.
    Those children will have to put up with jealous people like you though.
     

Share This Page