Concealed carry: what are my options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BaronVonBigmeat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Okay so I live in Texas, where you can get a concealed carry permit. I'm familiar with shotguns, but I've never owned a pistol. I'm researching several different guns (probably a glock or a sig?), and hopefully I'll get to try out a few different guns at a range before I buy. That's what I've been told to do, anyhow. Any suggestions? I'd rather not have anything smaller than 9mm.

My bigger question though is: how do you conceal, when the weather is too hot to wear a sports coat? Jeans and a t-shirt, or dockers and a golf shirt, is the only thing you can comfortably wear for 8 months out of the year in Houston.

Do I need to find a gun I can carry in my pocket? I've seen these holsters you wear inside your pants, but they seem kind of wacky, I mean what do you do if you're at a gas station during a stickup--start unbuckling your pants to get to your gun? Ha ha.

I'm not buying the whole "come on, it's not going to happen" argument--my neighbor's family has had no less than three incidents in the past few years where a concealed gun saved the day, plus a cowoker used his to scare off a couple of burglars without firing a shot.

Thoughts?

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    9mm is more than enough. I like the military style the Marine Corps has, they use Berretas, but Taurus makes one just like it.

DO NOT buy a cheap gun. I mean one made by a minor gun manufacturer. Get several magazines and remember the metal spring will wear down if you keep the magazine loaded all the time. Then you will not get ammo feed and your weapon will jam.

Not sure what to tell you about clothing.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    You can buy pants with concealed pockets, they're branded Tac wear or something similar. I have a pair but I don't own a personal firearm so I don't know if it's practical to carry a handgun in them.

Found the website - Tac Wear: Introduces Cordura Base Layer

If you visit you should know the Flash intro is noisy, just in case someone around you is easily startled.

4. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    At times I carry a S&W 908 / 9mm and use Federal Hyra Shok loads. That is more than enough gun. There are also some really nice compact .40 cal. or .45 cal out there. I like the 908 it has been a solid firearm, shoots well and the recoil for me is next to nothing. It carries tucked away really easily.

If you are uncomfortable with a semi auto then a small snub nose .38 +P revolver is a solid personal protection choise or you can check out the smaller .357 8 round revolver, S&W make a couple nice models.

I carry a .38 derringer as a backup.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Definitely try out as many different handguns as you can before you buy one.

What you carry is dictated by how you dress. The way you are talking about dressing I would suggest a Walther PPK/S .380 as the largest you go. You are not going to conceal a full-size handgun wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Based on the jeans and t-shirt, I would suggest an ankle holster with an AMT Backup .380. If you wear baggy jeans and t-shirts, you could go with an in-the-pants holster (it clips to your waistband/belt) so you don't have to strip to draw.

Don't know if you are into it, but a fanny pack is a good place to conceal a small auto. They also make a wallet that conceals a derringer.

It also depends on how you are built. I carry a Walther PPK in an in-the-pants holster in the small of my back. But I have a small waist and large back and chest so a baggy shirt conceals it nicely.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I heartily on shopping around. Years ago I bought a 9 mm Ruger--simple and rugged but too big to carry and conceal especially in warm weather. Looking for something smaller to carry as we speak.

7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    First go to the range and figure out what you like before worrying how to dress. A small frame weapon with a bore of .40 or more is going to recoil the hell out of your hand and elbow if you have to snap shoot. Check out the .380 using appropriate ammo.

Then go to the range and practice, practice, practice. Work your way up to a competent El Presidente course.

Finally, ALWAYS keep a shotgun in the home and car for defensive purposes. If you are using a handgun for self defense then your enemy is already danger close.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
  9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    As I stated previously, and PEGWINN did after your post, a .380 is a good carry gun. I happen to prefer the Walther PPK/S, but it IS a bit pricey for a medium-frame handgun.

There are plenty of relatively inexpensive .380s on the market.

10. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    A four inch DAO pistol (Glock 19 or 22, S&W M&P40 or 9, Springfield XD) is easily concealed in the type of clothing you wear. I carried in Alabama in the weather conditions wearing the same clothing. Inside the waistband holsters have to be used, but you can carry a serious caliber comfortably. Also, check out the Walther PPS, it is as thin as the PPK, but chambered in 9MM and .40 S&W. Personally, I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry, because personal defense begins with the numbers 4 and 5.