Compensating Sex Crime Victims

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Gerry Sandusky case, the Larry Nasser case the Bill Cosby case, and a few other less notorious cases raise an issue that polite people are reluctant to discuss. When compensating the victims of this particular type of abuse, rational thought goes out the window.

For a moment, let's put aside the issue of punishing the perpetrators; They all should be executed and sent to hell. If they have any financial assets, they should be taken from them and put in trust.

I'm talking about the financial payback that these victims pursue and obtain, with lawyer hyperbole excluded.

First of all, it must be said that for the most part, the people who provide the funding for any cash settlement are INNOCENT (Cosby being the exception; he has more money than God, so he can pay personally). But generally speaking the people providing the funds for these cash settlements are insurance ratepayers, taxpayers, university tuition-payers, and others who had nothing to do with the sex crimes.

Second, all of the harm done to the victims is psychological. No physical injury occurred in any of these cases. In fact, in many cases, the victims were either unconscious, semi-conscious, or were not even aware that they were being victimized in a criminal way until it was explained to them later (Nasser).

Third, to the extent that psychological and emotional harm was done, it is EXACERBATED by the public accusation and pursuit of some recompense. Also, the amount of harm is largely determined by the psyche and relative maturity of the victim. For some of them (e.g., as aspiring actress who is trying to get some support from Cosby), the harm is relatively slight when compared to, say, a 12-year-old gymnast.

Fourth, any cash settlements in cases like this are logically absurd. They have suffered no financial loss, either at the time, or in the future. Their ability to earn a living or live a normal life is not tangibly impaired. To even suppose that this sort of harm can be equated to a sum of money is simply bizarre. And they are strongly motivated to exaggerate their level of psychological damage, in order to cash in to the greatest possible extent.

A recent story claims that a Nasser victim was offered $250,000 by a UMich official to go away and shut up (sorry I can't find the link), and of course the victim-world went bat-shit crazy at the crassness of the offer (and how insultingly low it was).

Are you shitting me?

Cosby is innocent at this time
and the other jury did not find him guilty
these women admitted willingly going with him, taking the pills, etc

Got it. Rape victims should just shut up and go away. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how dumb it is.

I beg to defer. Sex crime victims entire lives can be effected. Destroying confidence in ones self, distrust of others, an aversion to intimacy, does effect ones lives and only some of the ways such victims must work free from. It can take them years to work through it.

It’s true, there is no money that can fix the emotional scars, other than possibly through paying for therapy. But money awards can also serve as an additional deterrent to those in power, that wish not to end up broke.

The Gerry Sandusky case, the Larry Nasser case the Bill Cosby case, and a few other less notorious cases raise an issue that polite people are reluctant to discuss. When compensating the victims of this particular type of abuse, rational thought goes out the window.

For a moment, let's put aside the issue of punishing the perpetrators; They all should be executed and sent to hell. If they have any financial assets, they should be taken from them and put in trust.

I'm talking about the financial payback that these victims pursue and obtain, with lawyer hyperbole excluded.

First of all, it must be said that for the most part, the people who provide the funding for any cash settlement are INNOCENT (Cosby being the exception; he has more money than God, so he can pay personally). But generally speaking the people providing the funds for these cash settlements are insurance ratepayers, taxpayers, university tuition-payers, and others who had nothing to do with the sex crimes.

Second, all of the harm done to the victims is psychological. No physical injury occurred in any of these cases. In fact, in many cases, the victims were either unconscious, semi-conscious, or were not even aware that they were being victimized in a criminal way until it was explained to them later (Nasser).

Third, to the extent that psychological and emotional harm was done, it is EXACERBATED by the public accusation and pursuit of some recompense. Also, the amount of harm is largely determined by the psyche and relative maturity of the victim. For some of them (e.g., as aspiring actress who is trying to get some support from Cosby), the harm is relatively slight when compared to, say, a 12-year-old gymnast.

Fourth, any cash settlements in cases like this are logically absurd. They have suffered no financial loss, either at the time, or in the future. Their ability to earn a living or live a normal life is not tangibly impaired. To even suppose that this sort of harm can be equated to a sum of money is simply bizarre. And they are strongly motivated to exaggerate their level of psychological damage, in order to cash in to the greatest possible extent.

A recent story claims that a Nasser victim was offered $250,000 by a UMich official to go away and shut up (sorry I can't find the link), and of course the victim-world went bat-shit crazy at the crassness of the offer (and how insultingly low it was).

Are you shitting me?
I am not sure how much you pay a hooker to break the law.

There is no money that can fix the emotional scars...exactly my point.

If a girl can be destroyed for life because someone stuck his finger where it didn't belong, then something is wildly out of whack.

Forum List

Back