Comma Teaser

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
As a way of wishing everyone a Merry Christmas I offer this teaser:

Where does the comma belong in this sentence (NO PEEKING FOR THE ANSWER):

God rest ye merry gentlemen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCo3pH-6ZT0&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCo3pH-6ZT0&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]​

Last edited:
Wherever you want it depending on what you want to say.

God, rest you merry, Gentlemen.

God -- rest, you merry Gentlemen!

God rest you merry, Gentlemen.

God rest you, merry Gentlemen.

Last edited:

To Pogo: Not so. The greeting to one person in olde England was “God rest ye merry.” The word gentlemen is added when the greeting is said to more than one; hence, the comma after merry.

To Pogo: Not so. The greeting to one person in olde England was “God rest ye merry.” The word gentlemen is added when the greeting is said to more than one; hence, the comma after merry.

To Flanders: yes so (and I don't need the screaming bold thanks; your words are not more important than everyone else's); punctuation changes meaning.

"Let's eat, Grandma" is different from
"Let's eat Grandma"

It's the way it works.

Last edited:
To Flanders: yes so (and I don't need the screaming bold thanks; your words are not more important than everyone else's); punctuation changes meaning.

"Let's eat Grandma"

It's the way it works.

To Pogo: None, of, that, has, anything, to, do, with, the, correct, answer, to, my, teaser.

Here’s an easy one for you. Punctuate the following:

If my format bothers you asshole stop reading my reading my messages

"Let's eat Grandma"

It's the way it works.

To Pogo: None, of, that, has, anything, to, do, with, the, correct, answer, to, my, teaser.

Here’s an easy one for you. Punctuate the following:

If my format bothers you asshole stop reading my reading my messages

I would render that "I'm an obnoxious egomaniac with a compulsive need to shout in order to inflate my own sense of self-insignificance".

You could put a comma after "egomaniac" but not strictly necessary. Possibly better placed would be one after "shout" as a kind of metrical fermata.

Hope this helps. I doubt it will.

I would render that "I'm an obnoxious egomaniac with a compulsive need to shout in order to inflate my own sense of self-insignificance".

You could put a comma after "egomaniac" but not strictly necessary. Possibly better placed would be one after "shout" as a kind of metrical fermata.

To Pogo: Your double-talk does not change the fact that you were wrong about my title teaser. Nor did you punctuate the sentence I offered. Instead, you attempt to cover up your intellectual shortcomings with a gobbledygook sentence wrapped in sophomoric psycho babble.

To Pogo: Your double-talk does not change the fact that you were wrong about my title teaser. Nor did you punctuate the sentence I offered. Instead, you attempt to cover up your intellectual shortcomings with a gobbledygook sentence wrapped in sophomoric psycho babble.

Unfortunately I speak English. Apparently you didn't know there were multiple answers and I gave them all. Or maybe the concept of multiple answers is beyond your ken.

Welcome to our language. Please learn our country.

So this elephant walks into Wimpy's Burger Bar. Orders a burger with friens. Eats heartily. Pulls a gun and destroys the menu board and departs without paying.

And all because he read a dictionary but failed to understand the usage of the comma.

What DID the definition of the elephant's diet say?

So this elephant walks into Wimpy's Burger Bar. Orders a burger with friens. Eats heartily. Pulls a gun and destroys the menu board and departs without paying.

And all because he read a dictionary but failed to understand the usage of the comma.

Well for one thing friens is French for "brakes"... apparently the comma failed to hit the brakes in the right place... :eusa_shifty:

Unfortunately I speak English. Apparently you didn't know there were multiple answers and I gave them all. Or maybe the concept of multiple answers is beyond your ken.

Welcome to our language. Please learn our country.

To Pogo: There is only one answer. See why in #5 permalink. Get someone else to explain it to you. You’re just too stupid for me. Stop cluttering up my threads until you get help.

To HenryBHough: I give up. What’s the answer?

Forum List

Back