Comic Books getting into the act.

Ahhhh...its refreshing to see some comic fans and buffs raise their heads in public, no matter their political leanings.

I have to admit, I always liked reading when the comic book creators both DC and Marvel addressed current issue of the time. Like when DC addressed drug use with Speedy and Green Arrow.

I remember watching a history of Comic Books on the History Channel a little while back, it was really interesting. I also remember them interviewing Stan Lee and he saying exactly what you did Xeno about his mixed feelings of the war.

I see Captain America addressing the Anti-Government Sentiment as just another current issue being addressed. I also don't think that they should of taken it out of future issues. The whole idea of Marvel having to censor themselves because some in the tea parties complained is a bit ironic to say the least.

Ahhhh...its refreshing to see some comic fans and buffs raise their heads in public, no matter their political leanings.

Although I think both DC and Marvel have turned their attention away from issue quality and focus it now on movies, I still enjoy the older stuff.

Like, I hated Brand New Day for Spider Man but I love stories like "The Death of Gwen Stacy."

I think it's interesting about comic books because they can make strong statements sometimes. I think Watchmen for example is a must read for anyone.

The only thing I'm upset about is that they APOLOGIZED...and that they're taking it out.

ESPECIALLY since its a REALISTIC depiction of the TeaBaggers.

*SMH*

Although I think both DC and Marvel have turned their attention away from issue quality and focus it now on movies, I still enjoy the older stuff.

Like, I hated Brand New Day for Spider Man but I love stories like "The Death of Gwen Stacy."

I think it's interesting about comic books because they can make strong statements sometimes. I think Watchmen for example is a must read for any fan of Literature.
It was some years ago, but Marvel did a fantastic cross over series called 'Operation Galatic storm' (A play on desert storm obviously) that involved a huge war between the Kree, Skrulls and Shiar that ends with Billions of Kree being wiped out. Was is unusual is Ionman and a number of the Avengers decide to outright kill the cause of this (the Kree supreme intelligence) while Cap and about half of the rest of them refuse to kill on principle.

One of the better moral dilemmas ever put in Comics.

400-11.jpg

Simply unbelievable. Do freedom and tax relief so threaten the left that no boundaries exist?
Why? because comic books are supposed to be icons of unbiased, journalistic integrity?

It's a COMIC BOOK for cryin' out loud. :lol:

It was some years ago, but Marvel did a fantastic cross over series called 'Operation Galatic storm' (A play on desert storm obviously) that involved a huge war between the Kree, Skrulls and Shiar that ends with Billions of Kree being wiped out. Was is unusual is Ionman and a number of the Avengers decide to outright kill the cause of this (the Kree supreme intelligence) while Cap and about half of the rest of them refuse to kill on principle.

400-11.jpg

Haven't read that one, but I'll have to put it on my list. Reminds me of the recent Civil War Arc that Marvel had.

How many of you read the Hulk War from a couple years ago.

Man I still go back and read that stuff...Hulk was in rare comedic form.

Oh...and Tony Stark SUCKS!!!! A real scumbag that one.

400-11.jpg

Haven't read that one, but I'll have to put it on my list. Reminds me of the recent Civil War Arc that Marvel had.
It crossed over into all the Avenger and avenger related titles of the time, this of course was before Marvel went under and was reborn, and was sort of a backhand sequel to the Kree Skrull war of 1971.

400-11.jpg

It crossed over into all the Avenger and avenger related titles of the time, this of course was before Marvel went under and was reborn, and was sort of a backhand sequel to the Kree Skrull war of 1971.

i always liked the guys in the Valient comic line.....really decent stories and artwork.....then came Rob Liefield.....and then they (comics in general) went downhill.....and only because a lot of artist started drawing like he did.....all of a sudden Mr. Fantastic had 25 inch bicepts....

i always liked the guys in the Valient comic line.....really decent stories and artwork.....then came Rob Liefield.....and then they (comics in general) went downhill.....and only because a lot of artist started drawing like he did.....all of a sudden Mr. Fantastic had 25 inch bicepts....
That wasn't the main problem, the main problem was teh artists started thinking comic companies made a lot more money then they did, and could afford to pay them endless royalties.

I betcha that Marvel in general did not know this was going on, and from passing familiarity with the industry this would be more the case.

What I expect is the case is that writer Ed Brubaker has a hard on against all them evil conservatives, and so he decides to be sly and put it in the book. The editor who has similar tendencies smiles and let's the references slide. The penciller, inker and colorist just do their job and put the words to art and try to do the best job whether or not the agree. Behind the scenes, Brubaker's probably yucking it up with friends on what he's gonna do to "take a shot" at those evil tea partiers and thinking he's so clever. Final editor go through during production, he likes it, and it slides by to press.

Then it hits the street, tea party fans suddenly see their favorite hero dogging on them and calling them racist nazi anarchists.

Commence freakout.

Joe Quesada, consummate artist, fucking useless Editor in Chief attempts to fix the problem and not only fails, but makes the whole company look bad with his half-assed apology a la lawyer BS. The solution has suddenly made this book a collectors item. Which I find disgusting That company and product has gone right into the shitter since Tom DeFalco left.

What exactly did he say that was untrue? I mean I haven't read the issue but pointing out a sign that the tea parties had quite often at their tea parties? :eusa_eh:

Captain America has almost always been Pro-America, except for the times when it became otherwise for some sort of storyline. He punched Hitler in the jaw a full year before the United States even went to war. He fought against the Commies, etc.

If people in these tea parties are talking about seceding from the United States, how would the Cap react you think?

The story line associated them with Anti American hate groups.

I noticed no response Dogbert's question asking WHAT exactly was the problem with putting in a TRUE depiction (the sign), of the tea baggers in the comic?

Anyone...?

The story line associated them with Anti American hate groups.

The Falcon mentions that the gathering appears to be "some kind of anti-tax protest" and notes that "this whole 'hate the government' vibe isn't limited to the Watchdogs." He then tells Captain America that he doesn't think their plan will work because "I don't exactly see a black man from Harlem fitting in with a bunch of angry white folks." Captain America then explains that his plan entails sending The Falcon in among the group posing as an IRS agent under the thinking that a black government official will most certainly spark their anger.

Do tell me what's wrong about this?

If you're going to sit there and tell me that the tea parties do not hate the Government, then you are being truly delusional.

This is how anyone even figured it was a tea party group:

Quesada said that there was "zero discussion to include a group that looked like a Tea Party demonstration," adding, "There was no thought that it represented a particular group."

Quesada then went on to say that Marvel would "apologize for and own up to" a series of "stupid mistakes" that led to them "accidentally identifying" one of the members of the protest group "as being a part of the Tea Party instead of a generic protest group." He explained that they were on deadline to get the issue to the printer for publication, and in the course of sending it off it was noticed that the signs in the scene contained no words or phrases. He said the editor then asked the letterer to "fudge in some quick signs" and that in the "rush to get the book out of the door," the letterer "looked on the net and started pulling slogans" from signs captured in photographs at Tea Party protests in order to make them appear "believable."

Forum List

Back