Billions of stimulus money goes other countries to build wind turbans

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Money from the 2009 stimulus bill to help support the renewable energy industry continues to flow overseas, despite Congressional criticism and calls for change, according to a new analysis of the program by the Investigative Reporting Workshop.

The Workshop was the first to report last October that more than 80 percent of the first $1 billion in grants to wind energy companies went to foreign firms. Since then, the administration has stopped making announcements of new grants to wind, solar and geothermal companies, but has handed out another $1 billion, bringing the total given out to $2.1 billion and the total that went to companies based overseas to more than 79 percent.

In fact, the largest grant made under the program so far, a $178 million payment on Dec. 29, went to Babcock & Brown, a bankrupt Australian company that built a Texas wind farm using turbines made by a Japanese company.

The same day the Workshop’s first reported on this story a consortium of American and Chinese companies announced a deal to build a $1.5 billion wind farm in Texas, using imported Chinese turbines. Company officials said they planned to collect $450 million in stimulus grants for the project. The deal would create dozens of jobs in the U.S. and thousands in China. The news provoked outrage among lawmakers, particularly after the Energy Department seemed to take a neutral stance, declining to say whether it would reject such an application.

Investigations | Wind Energy Funds Going Overseas | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Diane Sawyer reported on this, & Chuckie Schumer is now complaining about it. Well, Chuckie--maybe next time--if you get another chance---you'll actually read a bill & understand it thouroughly before signing off on it---dumbass. Geez--we pay the taxes on it, China benefits because we have borrowed so much for them, & they get the "green energy" jobs.

How's all that hopey & changey working for ya now?

Last edited:
I hate wind turbans

800px-Sikh_wearing_turban.jpg

I assume you mean TUR BINES right? A wind TURBAN would be an entirely different thing. LOL.

And have you got anything else to say about this--other than my spelling--da--duh--da-duh--da--duh?--:cuckoo:
You have to admit it was a funny mistake.

We all make spelling & grammar errors, I am not exempt from that--but I didn't just send billions of stimulus money over to other countries to provide "them" with green jobs.

The liberals on this board like Right Winger--would prefer to closely examine my spelling versus what this government is doing to this country.

And have you got anything else to say about this--other than my spelling--da--duh--da-duh--da--duh?--:cuckoo:

We all make spelling & grammar errors, I am not exempt from that--but I didn't just send billions of stimulus money over to other countries to provide "them" with green jobs.

The liberals on this board like Right Winger--would prefer to closely examine my spelling versus what this government is doing to this country.

Its not like Oreo said "Corps-man"

Its not like Oreo said "Corps-man"

I believe it was corpseman.

At any rate:

Thank You for stating that.

Now can we get back to the topic--which is our government giving billions in grants--out of the stimulus money--to other countries to build WIND TURBINES?--when we could be building right here.

Last edited:
Money from the 2009 stimulus bill to help support the renewable energy industry continues to flow overseas, despite Congressional criticism and calls for change, according to a new analysis of the program by the Investigative Reporting Workshop.

The Workshop was the first to report last October that more than 80 percent of the first $1 billion in grants to wind energy companies went to foreign firms. Since then, the administration has stopped making announcements of new grants to wind, solar and geothermal companies, but has handed out another $1 billion, bringing the total given out to $2.1 billion and the total that went to companies based overseas to more than 79 percent.

In fact, the largest grant made under the program so far, a $178 million payment on Dec. 29, went to Babcock & Brown, a bankrupt Australian company that built a Texas wind farm using turbines made by a Japanese company.

The same day the Workshop’s first reported on this story a consortium of American and Chinese companies announced a deal to build a $1.5 billion wind farm in Texas, using imported Chinese turbines. Company officials said they planned to collect $450 million in stimulus grants for the project. The deal would create dozens of jobs in the U.S. and thousands in China. The news provoked outrage among lawmakers, particularly after the Energy Department seemed to take a neutral stance, declining to say whether it would reject such an application.

Investigations | Wind Energy Funds Going Overseas | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Diane Sawyer reported on this, & Chuckie Schumer is now complaining about it. Well, Chuckie--maybe next time--if you get another chance---you'll actually read a bill & understand it thouroughly before signing off on it---dumbass. Geez--we pay the taxes on it, China benefits because we have borrowed so much for them, & they get the "green energy" jobs.

OK ...since we are done laughing at oreos spelling gaff, I will give an honest response.

The US should be investing heavily in alternate energy technologies. The fact that other nations are ahead of us and we must go overseas to get state of the art wind technology shows we need more than a "drill baby drill" energy policy.

The US can't compete with China and India on manufacturing jobs. That is why we need to take the lead in green technology.

Good post oreo

Why doesn't the government just pick a country, any country, and send them all of our money at one time instead of just sending a little here and a little there to various countries until we are broke? Let's get rid of all of our cash so it's no longer a problem for us.

hey oreo, where did Dickless Cheney invest his money after all those secret energy meetings, I'll give you a hint it wasn't here, try Duabi

hey oreo, where did Dickless Cheney invest his money after all those secret energy meetings, I'll give you a hint it wasn't here, try Duabi

Ah an old progressive favorite ....

the "two wrongs make a right" defense, which if I not mistaken is #2 right after "the ends justify the means" defense in the progressive instruction manual for life.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And of course this has helped save how many American Jobs? The White house hasn't a clue, and they probably will come up with some lame BS reason for this and show how it created American jobs.

This Administration is dangerous.

OK ...since we are done laughing at oreos spelling gaff, I will give an honest response.

The US should be investing heavily in alternate energy technologies. The fact that other nations are ahead of us and we must go overseas to get state of the art wind technology shows we need more than a "drill baby drill" energy policy.

The US can't compete with China and India on manufacturing jobs. That is why we need to take the lead in green technology.

Good post oreo

I don't think anyone in the public/private/political arenas ever advocated a "drill baby drill' energy policy exclusive of the promotion and use of alternatives/renewables.

Just sayin'.

Your butterfingers made my day. Seriously. Thank you for that. I will have Xenophon's image of a turban beanie in my mind for the rest of the evening, and I will cackle all evening long.

As to the deal, I don't see wind tech as real green anyway. They are ugly and noisy and don't produce enough power to make them really worth while. We have them lining both sides of the Columbia all the way from The Dalles all the way up to the WA border (And maybe beyond)

Foisting them on other countries as foreign aid is a lame idea, as it won't do them much good, they won't appreciate it (Quite the reverse) and they won't perform as advertised.

The premise for selling the public on going green was the creation of American jobs. It appears they are being created- overseas.

Obama proposes collecting over $30 billion from the U.S. petroleum industry because he sees no reason for its continued viability since the intention is to wean ourselves from a petroleum based economy. These are the funds he expects to use to build a "green" economy.

The effect will be tens of thousands of jobs lost in the U.S. petroleum sector, and the creation of scores of overseas jobs. In the meantime domestic oil production will fall and imports will rise.

It's all so totally fucked up beyond belief.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwps4nO2jY]YouTube - F.U.B.B. - Wishbone Ash[/ame]

Forum List

Back