Come on People, Jail time for this guy?

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ail06.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/06/ixhome.html

Jail for man who left bag in airport
By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor
(Filed: 06/05/2004)

A plumber who left an unattended bag containing a teddy bear, some fruit and clothes in an airport lounge was jailed yesterday for causing a full-scale security alert.

Magistrates sentenced Jose da Silva, 25, to 10 days under public nuisance laws.

Da Silva was waiting for a flight home to Portugal last Sunday when he left the hold-all in a departure lounge while he went for a cigarette at Birmingham nternational airport.

The airport was closed for three hours and 1,000 passengers and staff had to leave as an Army bomb disposal team investigated. Three incoming flights were diverted and 15 planes grounded.

Speaking through an interpreter and in tears, da Silva, who pleaded not guilty to creating a public nuisance, told the court in Solihull that he had no intention of causing such a huge security operation.

But Howard Turner, the chairman of the bench, said while da Silva had not intended to cause the alert the offence was serious enough to warrant a prison sentence.

It is thought to be the first time a jail term has been passed for what was an unwitting, albeit costly, act.

A Birmingham airport spokesman said: "This was an example of the sort of thing that can happen and how it escalates very quickly.

"We take these things very seriously and this was a serious security issue. The sentence reflects that and we would reiterate the dangers of leaving luggage unattended."

First of all, i don't know where the hype from the unattended luggage came from when on 9/11 they didnt seem to have any luggage. In fact most airport scares have been with hijacks, not luggage bombs.

Second of all, theres a distinct difference between a Portugese and an Arab. Granted they both probably had dark skin color but wouldnt the spanish accent and features give it away?

This is whats fucked up with the PC world. If it was an Arab that did this, would it have been treated as fanatically and if so would the left be up in arms about his incarceration? You damn right they would. We'd have the ACLU all over the police there to stop racail profiling arabs and continue their hunt for those dangerous Portugese Men or the 82 year Grandmom Terrorists.

On a side note, its good to see them treating things seriously when stuff like that happens. Its just dumb to see a guy arrested when nothing was found in his bag and he's not an Arab.

This is quite overboard. What he did was innocent and really something other people have probably done as well. I understand why the scare,but he doesn't deserve jail time-that is just too much.

Geez, what a crock. The guy screwed up and left his bag by accident. A simple slap on the wrist would've done. He doesn't need to do jail time.

acludem

"First of all, i don't know where the hype from the unattended luggage came from when on 9/11 they didnt seem to have any luggage. In fact most airport scares have been with hijacks, not luggage bombs. "

You think maybe the reason luggage bombs are so rare is because we're so picky about luggage security? Hmmmm.....

"Granted they both probably had dark skin color but wouldnt the Spanish accent and features give it away? "

Wouldn't he have a Portugese accent?

"If it was an Arab that did this, would it have been treated as fanatically and if so would the left be up in arms about his incarceration? "

Of course not. All liberals are out to give superior rights to Arabs, you finally figured us out, good job.

"We'd have the ACLU all over the police there to stop racail profiling arabs and continue their hunt for those dangerous Portugese Men or the 82 year Grandmom Terrorists."

And middle aged white men from Montana?

"Its just dumb to see a guy arrested when nothing was found in his bag and he's not an Arab."

Of course, everyone knows only Arabs are capable of committed terrorists acts. Arabs shouldn't even be allowed to fly.

Good thing for him he wasn't Arab, else I'm sure we wouldn't even have heard of him and he'd be spending the rest of his life at the Guantanamo Bay Concentration Camp.

Originally posted by SpidermanTuba
"First of all, i don't know where the hype from the unattended luggage came from when on 9/11 they didnt seem to have any luggage. In fact most airport scares have been with hijacks, not luggage bombs. "

You think maybe the reason luggage bombs are so rare is because we're so picky about luggage security? Hmmmm.....

"Granted they both probably had dark skin color but wouldnt the Spanish accent and features give it away? "

Wouldn't he have a Portugese accent?

"If it was an Arab that did this, would it have been treated as fanatically and if so would the left be up in arms about his incarceration? "

Of course not. All liberals are out to give superior rights to Arabs, you finally figured us out, good job.

"We'd have the ACLU all over the police there to stop racail profiling arabs and continue their hunt for those dangerous Portugese Men or the 82 year Grandmom Terrorists."

And middle aged white men from Montana?

"Its just dumb to see a guy arrested when nothing was found in his bag and he's not an Arab."

Of course, everyone knows only Arabs are capable of committed terrorists acts. Arabs shouldn't even be allowed to fly.

Good thing for him he wasn't Arab, else I'm sure we wouldn't even have heard of him and he'd be spending the rest of his life at the Guantanamo Bay Concentration Camp.

Yep. Cause you know evil america is the 4th Reich. I doubt your even an american with your attitude towards our military but then again, liberals these days deal less and less in truth and more and more in rhetoric and baseless accusations.

Hmm, to me that sounded like sarcasm. I thought it was funny if you ask me. But yeah, jail time? Thats a bit extreme. I mean, he left his bag there, oh my goodness!

He must have been at one of those airports where they don't announce over the PA every 90 seconds that you should not leave your bag unattended. Did he think they were joking? I mean come on, he's obviously doesn't care one bit about security procedures at airports, so screw him. And for crying out loud, its only 10 days, big deal. Sounds like the punishment fits the crime to me. Did they even bother to fine his ass for the tens of thousands, maybe a lot more, he costs the airport because he didn't give a damn about airport security?

Originally posted by Sir Evil
even more brilliant! learned how to edit your post, now you need to start figuring out how to quote correctly. And dont accuse me of being a liar just because I tried to help you out!
Don't be a sarcastic ass and expect me to be grateful.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Spidey - I am only going to overlook your B.S for a short time as you are new here. I am hardly being sarcastic. I made a simple request as to not equate me with being a liar, or is this going to be a problem for you?

I was referring to your being sarcastic in your remark about the quotes.

As for me accusing you of lying, well, maybe you should get a sense of humor.

Everyone, Evildoer was right, I did post a quote from a nother thread, and I went back and edited it and accused him of being a liar as a joke to him. He didn't get it.

Forum List

Back