Colorado Allows Birth Control Without Dr. Prescription, Available In Safeway Pharmacies

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about how certain women need certain kinds of birth control? Is this some sort of "one size fits all?" lol

Birth control pills carry a major health risk to women which is the reason my wife and I decided she would stop taking them. It's very irresponsible to allow women to take these pills without the advice of a doctor. When the lawsuits come, I can say, "I told you so."

Apparently, neither of you read the link. No, it's not a "one size fits all", and they aren't exactly taking them without any doctors advice. The pharmacists are given training, and there is an interview with the pharmacists that lasts about 25 to 35 min., and during that time they are screened, checked out, and given a birth screening to make sure they are administered in a proper way.

I still think this is a great idea, and hope that it will spread to the rest of the country soon. And, I think the age limit for buying them should start at around 16 or so.
No i didnt read it. That doesnt sound bad to me at all!

Helps to read the links dude. That way, if you're gonna bitch or praise something, you at least have an idea what you are bitching or praising.

And yeah, why CAN'T pharmacists write prescriptions for birth control? I know that there were several times while I was in the Navy that we didn't have a full fledged doctor onboard, so the PA (Physicians Assistant) generally took care of prescribing certain drugs. On my last ship, the PA was a former SEAL who had been a HM, and not only was he really good at being a doc, but some of the stories he would tell while treating you were pretty choice as well.

I mean, pharmacists DO have a fair amount of medical training, and they probably know better than the doctors what the effects of various drugs are on the human body. I mean.................it's their job.
I didnt bitch or praise it, actually. But i get your point.

Birth control pills carry a major health risk to women which is the reason my wife and I decided she would stop taking them. It's very irresponsible to allow women to take these pills without the advice of a doctor. When the lawsuits come, I can say, "I told you so."

Many countries in Europe and Asia sell birth control pills in the pharmacy. Nothing harmful.

That's your wife's decision to stop taking ot. Advil and Aspirin carry risk at all. Stepping outside your front door has risk.

Birth control pills are effective at preventing unwanted pregnancies. Birth control pill are also good for managing reproductive disorders like endometriosis and PCOS.

DENVER -- Safeway is one of the first major chains in Colorado to begin offering birth control pills to women at its pharmacies without visiting a doctor.

A new state law allowing pharmacists to prescribe contraceptives went into effect earlier in 2017.

According to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, nearly half of all pregnancies statewide are unplanned. The increased access to birth control might help reduce that statistic.

Many pharmacies are still in the beginning stages of rolling out the program. As of Tuesday, all Albertson’s-Safeway pharmacies in Colorado are equipped to offer pills or patches to women older than 18 years old.

“We felt it was important to be one of the first because we do see a need and we wanted to make sure that awareness was out there for women to be able to use this service,” said Nikki Price, director of pharmacies for Albertson’s-Safeway Pharmacies.

Pharmacists must undergo special training to learn the pharmacology, screening procedures and determination of what medications would be best for each patient.

According to Price, the service is especially useful for women new to Colorado.

“There are so many people moving into the state on a regular basis that a lot of times, you do have a gap in terms of finding a new physician and you may run out of your current birth control,” she said.

The new law allows women to walk into a participating pharmacy, have a consultation with a pharmacist and leave with prescription contraception. At Safeway, the consultation costs $45.

Patients will fill out a form that includes medical history, undergo a pregnancy screening, a blood pressure test and discuss birth control options with the pharmacist.

“From the time that you walk into our store to the time that you’re actually paying for it and leaving is probably 20 to 25 minutes,” Price said.

If pharmacists feel further medical advice is required, he or she can refer the patient to a physician before prescribing the medication.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwia377Y-cXVAhXl64MKHStXC5EQFgguMAE&url=http://kdvr.com/2017/08/01/birth-control-now-available-at-colorado-pharmacies-without-visiting-a-doctor/&usg=AFQjCNHVUTc_6b7KWt7MMYUHciRiHAmFkQ

Closed. You copy and pasted the entire article and you did not add your own commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back