College students on Food Stamps?

Hmm I was under the impression they could eat for free if they were living in the dorms, like in the service.

Nope. They have to pay for it in the form of a meal plan. One of the reasons why I'm thankful I don't live in the dorms where I go to college.

When I was in college, a long time ago, those meal plans were pretty good deals. You could eat as much as you wanted, and I did. :tongue:

The linked article is simply a paean to keynsian economics, and ignores the fundamental fact that it fails because the money for such spending can only be obtained by (1) printing money (2) raising taxes or (3) increasing the national debt, all of which HARM the economy. The article was written almost four years ago, and since then we've the nation's second gigantic experiment in "economic stimulus", which has failed as completely as the the first in the 1930s.

Seems like you really wish to write off this study. Especially since you're making the same arguments before you even saw it.

So merely being a student made them ineligible?

Odds are they're single, not living with mom and dad, and responsible for their own support.
I would much rather see them working but given our current job market I can see the need for assistance.

So many variables......A good number of them are probably there on a Pell Grant or some other sort of financial assistance so would food stamps be considered double-dipping?

As Modbert pointed out, it's a state issue and, ultimately, their decision. Nevermind that it took them several years to come to their senses.....

Yea, the double dipping part bothers me. Helping them with their education is fine, but I really think they could foot some of the costs on their own. Helping people in need does not have to mean giving them every single thing they need to live off of.

Yep..they get you coming and going.

Hey... ya wanna know what the total bill was for the semester? $11k. University of Pittsburgh/Johnstown Campus. That's 22K/year.

Once again.... cost of necessities sky high... but hey.. we can get $30 DVD players, so it's all good, right?

Nevertheless good on you for paying for your kids education.

Oh... she's taking out one loan... the Stafford loan. It gives her some skin in the game. We did the same thing for our son, who graduated from Penn State. We pay for the rest.

big question... do I where PSU blue and white or Pitt Blue and Gold on Saturdays?

Hey... ya wanna know what the total bill was for the semester? $11k. University of Pittsburgh/Johnstown Campus. That's 22K/year.

Once again.... cost of necessities sky high... but hey.. we can get $30 DVD players, so it's all good, right?

Nevertheless good on you for paying for your kids education.

Oh... she's taking out one loan... the Stafford loan. It gives her some skin in the game. We did the same thing for our son, who graduated from Penn State. We pay for the rest.

big question... do I where PSU blue and white or Pitt Blue and Gold on Saturdays?

Alternate every weekend.:razz:

The linked article is simply a paean to keynsian economics, and ignores the fundamental fact that it fails because the money for such spending can only be obtained by (1) printing money (2) raising taxes or (3) increasing the national debt, all of which HARM the economy. The article was written almost four years ago, and since then we've the nation's second gigantic experiment in "economic stimulus", which has failed as completely as the the first in the 1930s.

Seems like you really wish to write off this study. Especially since you're making the same arguments before you even saw it.

Seems like you are bending over backwards to defend something that has been proven false by all that has happened since it was written years ago. During the obama administration, these "stimulus" ideas have CERTAINLY been given a chance to prove they work. They've failed.

Last edited:
Seems like you are bending over backwards to defend something that has been proven false by all that has happened since it was written years ago.

How has it been proven false? Is there a new study from Moody's that shows food stamps are not a good form of economic stimulus? Same thing goes for unemployment insurance.

30,000 students receiving food stamps? WTF? I don't have a problem with people receiving food stamps if they truly are in need, but this really is nuts. And this is one of the reasons a lot of people get upset with those receiving welfare, because they should not be. In this case, I'm glad to see that Michigan is making a wise decision in putting an end to this nonsense.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance

LANSING, Mich. — Michigan says it has removed about 30,000 college students from its food assistance program since it began enforcing federal guidelines this spring.

Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan tells The Detroit News for a story published Monday that’s about twice as many as officials expected and it’s expected to bring about $75 million a year in savings.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance - Toledo Blade

I've got a bunch of friends in Texas hoping they don't purge the Unemployment rolls...:eusa_whistle:

Come on now they need to spend their money are booze, pot, New Years and Springbreak!

30,000 students receiving food stamps? WTF? I don't have a problem with people receiving food stamps if they truly are in need, but this really is nuts. And this is one of the reasons a lot of people get upset with those receiving welfare, because they should not be. In this case, I'm glad to see that Michigan is making a wise decision in putting an end to this nonsense.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance

LANSING, Mich. — Michigan says it has removed about 30,000 college students from its food assistance program since it began enforcing federal guidelines this spring.

Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan tells The Detroit News for a story published Monday that’s about twice as many as officials expected and it’s expected to bring about $75 million a year in savings.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance - Toledo Blade

Seems like you are bending over backwards to defend something that has been proven false by all that has happened since it was written years ago.

How has it been proven false? Is there a new study from Moody's that shows food stamps are not a good form of economic stimulus? Same thing goes for unemployment insurance.

The article and YOU just ignore what I said - that the money for such stimulus comes from the economy itself. It's like if you had a hole in your lawn you want to fill up with dirt, so you dig another hole to get the dirt. One must consider >>>ALLL<<< of the effects of a policy in considering its effectiveness, that is - the NET effect. And (again :rolleyes:) IT HASN'T WORKED. Reread that three times. Is unemployment recovered? Uh, noooooooo. Do we have less national debt? Noooooooo.

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

I worked. My parents picked up the tab for my books and tuition - because they planned and saved for all six of us to get a decent education.... but I was expected to work too. Guess what? It did not kill me. I still got good grades, and managed perfectly well. It was a hugely valuable lesson too.... it taught me the value of a dollar.

Did you have to walk 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways?

It's a different world out there. I work with interns and they also want to work, they are smart and excited about their career. Not enough work for them, it was easier way back when you went.

I don't really see the problem with college students who actually have need being on food stamps. They shouldn't be treated any different than any other food stamp applicant - income, # of dependents, and disability should be the factors that determine it.

My parents picked up the tab for my books and tuition -
Now isn't that nice!
because they planned and saved for all six of us to get a decent education.... but I was expected to work too. Guess what? It did not kill me
I wouldn't think it would "kill" you, considering you saved at least 8k a year on tuition and books by working hard to be born to good parents.

Jesus Christ!:eek:

That's about $20 a day. 3 meals. Most parents who can afford some extra like to make sure they eat but some kids don't have parents who can afford that.

What a ripoff. A college student who is thrifty enough can feed himself for easily less than half of that.

If you get them a ticket, they'll eat though. If you give them money, they may drink it away. Food stamps or the meal card will keep them fed..

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

I worked. My parents picked up the tab for my books and tuition - because they planned and saved for all six of us to get a decent education.... but I was expected to work too. Guess what? It did not kill me. I still got good grades, and managed perfectly well. It was a hugely valuable lesson too.... it taught me the value of a dollar.

I also worked my way through college.

40 years ago before the cost of college had risen at a rate five times faster than the rate inflation.

But what kind of job can a High School grad do that will give them an extra $10,000 or $15,000 ABOVE their cost of living to pay for college?

Seriously...unless you have some truly high paying job working your way though college today is beyond what most kids can do.

My son is making about $13.50 an hour right now. His tuition is $6,000 a year and naturally he cannot work full time because nobody is hired to work full time because if the corporation did that? They'd have to also give HC and bennies.

So do the math: $13.5 X 36(hrs) X 52(wks) = $25,272 GROSS, not net.

Yuu try finding an extra $7-8 K (for tuition, fees and books) AND living in Seattle on $25 K gross.

I content that many of us who DID work their way through college in the 50s, 60s 70s' and even the early 80s, could not do it, now.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back