College students on Food Stamps?

Don't college students have a dining facility where they can eat?

Well yes but they have to pay for their meal cards. Most only buy one meal a day but that isn't enough for someone that busy.

I'm happy they are in school. If we have to feed them, so be it.

Hmm I was under the impression they could eat for free if they were living in the dorms, like in the service.

No... I just purchased my daughter's meal plan and it was $1700 for a semester.

Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

The industry research firm Moody's Economy.com tracked the potential impact of each stimulus dollar, looking at tax rebates, tax incentives for business, food stamps and expanding unemployment benefits.

The report found that "some provide a lot of bang for the buck to the economy. Others ... don't," said economist Mark Zandi.

In findings echoed by other economists and studies, he said the study shows the fastest way to infuse money into the economy is through expanding the food-stamp program. For every dollar spent on that program $1.73 is generated throughout the economy, he said.

Food stamps: The struggle to eat | The Economist

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives want to rein in the programme’s runaway growth. In their budget outline for next year they proposed cutting the amount of money to be spent on food stamps by roughly a fifth from 2015. Moreover, instead of being a federal entitlement, available to all Americans who meet the eligibility criteria irrespective of the cost, the programme would become a “block grant” to the states, which would receive a fixed amount to spend each year, irrespective of demand. The House has also voted to cut a separate health-and-nutrition scheme for poor pregnant women, infants and children, known as WIC, by 11%. (The Senate, controlled by the Democrats, is unlikely to approve either measure.)

Advocates for the poor consider such cuts unconscionable. Food stamps, they argue, are far from lavish. Only those with incomes of 130% of the poverty level or less are eligible for them. The amount each person receives depends on their income, assets and family size, but the average benefit is $133 a month and the maximum, for an individual with no income at all, is $200. Those sums are due to fall soon, when a temporary boost expires. Even the current package is meagre. Melissa Nieves, a recipient in New York, says she compares costs at five different supermarkets, assiduously collects coupons, eats mainly cheap, starchy foods, and still runs out of money a week or ten days before the end of the month.

It is also hard to argue that food-stamp recipients are undeserving. About half of them are children, and another 8% are elderly. Only 14% of food-stamp households have incomes above the poverty line; 41% have incomes of half that level or less, and 18% have no income at all. The average participating family has only $101 in savings or valuables. Less than a tenth of recipients also receive cash payments from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families programme (TANF), the reformed version of welfare; roughly a third get at least some income from wages.

So merely being a student made them ineligible?

Odds are they're single, not living with mom and dad, and responsible for their own support.
I would much rather see them working but given our current job market I can see the need for assistance.

So many variables......A good number of them are probably there on a Pell Grant or some other sort of financial assistance so would food stamps be considered double-dipping?

As Modbert pointed out, it's a state issue and, ultimately, their decision. Nevermind that it took them several years to come to their senses.....

30,000 students receiving food stamps? WTF? I don't have a problem with people receiving food stamps if they truly are in need, but this really is nuts. And this is one of the reasons a lot of people get upset with those receiving welfare, because they should not be. In this case, I'm glad to see that Michigan is making a wise decision in putting an end to this nonsense.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance

LANSING, Mich. — Michigan says it has removed about 30,000 college students from its food assistance program since it began enforcing federal guidelines this spring.

Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan tells The Detroit News for a story published Monday that’s about twice as many as officials expected and it’s expected to bring about $75 million a year in savings.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance - Toledo Blade

Uhh, OK. So college students aren't poor and don't need food. Got it! I guess food stamps were designed to help those who weren't trying to better their lives.

Odds are they're single, not living with mom and dad, and responsible for their own support.
I would much rather see them working but given our current job market I can see the need for assistance.

So many variables......A good number of them are probably there on a Pell Grant or some other sort of financial assistance so would food stamps be considered double-dipping?

As Modbert pointed out, it's a state issue and, ultimately, their decision. Nevermind that it took them several years to come to their senses.....

Pell Grants are used for tuition with the maximum amount one can receive being around $5,550 or so. However, with the rising cost of tuition, it's highly doubtful they have any money left from Pell Grants to pay for food.

Hmm I was under the impression they could eat for free if they were living in the dorms, like in the service.

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

I worked. My parents picked up the tab for my books and tuition - because they planned and saved for all six of us to get a decent education.... but I was expected to work too. Guess what? It did not kill me. I still got good grades, and managed perfectly well. It was a hugely valuable lesson too.... it taught me the value of a dollar.

What I don't get is how I see some people on a daily basis take shots at the President by saying the state of the economy is all his fault. That the reason all these people are out of jobs, no more new jobs coming in, etc is because of him. However, while they're complaining about how bad the economy is for everyone because of the President, they're telling people to go get a job in their economy.

You can't say they're are no jobs and then bitch at people to go get a job. It's contradictory.

Pell Grants are used for tuition with the maximum amount one can receive being around $5,550 or so. However, with the rising cost of tuition, it's highly doubtful they have any money left from Pell Grants to pay for food.

Good point.

If there was ever a definition of "working poor" most college students would fit it.:(

Don't college students have a dining facility where they can eat?

Well yes but they have to pay for their meal cards. Most only buy one meal a day but that isn't enough for someone that busy.

No, it's charged too.

I'm more upset over our military members who have to be on Food Stamps.

Is there a link to the Moody's Analytics study? The claim made for it sounds simplistic. One not only has to see what multiplier effect there is from food stamp purchases, but also account for the suppressive effect of taking money out of the economy in taxes to pay for the program. This falls under the general category of keynesian economics, which it should be now clear to even the most obtuse doesn't work.

Is there a link to the Moody's Analytics study? The claim made for it sounds simplistic. One not only has to see what multiplier effect there is from food stamp purchases, but also account for the suppressive effect of taking money out of the economy in taxes to pay for the program. This falls under the general category of keynesian economics, which it should be now clear to even the most obtuse doesn't work.

Washington Throws the Economy a Rope

There you go.

No... I just purchased my daughter's meal plan and it was $1700 for a semester.

Jesus Christ!:eek:

No, it's charged too.

I'm more upset over our military members who have to be on Food Stamps.

Yup, almost all Military members under the rank of E-7 with families qualify for food stamps and WIC.

Yup, almost all Military members under the rank of E-7 with families qualify for food stamps and WIC.

While some in Congress wish to take that away.

Food stamps: The struggle to eat | The Economist

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives want to rein in the programme’s runaway growth. In their budget outline for next year they proposed cutting the amount of money to be spent on food stamps by roughly a fifth from 2015. Moreover, instead of being a federal entitlement, available to all Americans who meet the eligibility criteria irrespective of the cost, the programme would become a “block grant” to the states, which would receive a fixed amount to spend each year, irrespective of demand. The House has also voted to cut a separate health-and-nutrition scheme for poor pregnant women, infants and children, known as WIC, by 11%. (The Senate, controlled by the Democrats, is unlikely to approve either measure.)

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

College is expensive, but if you are truly poor, then you will get a free ride or close, so long as you keep your grades up. But not even the poor should get a complete free ride. These kids can work part-time jobs and take out some loans. Here again, it is the middle class that takes it on the chin. If you are middle class, your kid will not get anything unless he/she gets an athletic scholarship or is extremely smart and receives an academic scholarship. But if you are poor, you get everything paid for.

I have no problem helping those who need help to pay some of their way, but they can cough up a bit too, either by working part-time, or taking out some loans, or both.

Washington Throws the Economy a Rope

There you go.

The linked article is simply a paean to keynsian economics, and ignores the fundamental fact that it fails because the money for such spending can only be obtained by (1) printing money (2) raising taxes or (3) increasing the national debt, all of which HARM the economy. The article was written almost four years ago, and since then we've the nation's second gigantic experiment in "economic stimulus", which has failed as completely as the the first in the 1930s.

Forum List

Back