College in China

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Since someone keeps repeating some false information on the topic, I thought I'd open a thread on college in China.

Acceptance to the best colleges in China is highly competitive. The equivalent of our SAT is a make or break test to determine what colleges a student has any chance of being accepted at. Accordingly, the pressure is very high (and cheating very popular). Public universities are considered the best available in China, and some are now truly world-class. However, those students with the means to do so are eager to study abroad.

College is NOT free in China. In fact, in recent years tuition rates have increased.

College students in China DO like to drink and have sex like most other people their age all over the world. In cities with large student populations there are always a variety of 'no questions asked' abortion clinics and similar services near campuses. The bad news for students is that it is harder to find privacy for 'extra curricular' activities in crowded colleges in crowded cities, but where there's a will... The good news is that it is really cheap to get drunk if you're not picky about what you drink.

I taught at a university in Xi'an about 20 years ago, when China was still a lot more hard-core communist than today and saw all of the above first-hand. Today China is much more liberal (though still quite conservative compared to the US), so...

Now, if you were to ask a Chinese person - particularly an older person - you might be told that such hedonism never takes place, but this is an expression of national pride. When you get to know the people and the place well you quickly realize we're all pretty much the same.

Also, while the sciences are extremely popular areas of study, there are in fact liberal arts majors available at many Chinese colleges.

Oh, and if you don't do well in college you are NOT trucked off to the countryside or forced to toil in a factory like a prisoner. The last thing they need there is another unemployed body.

For a hateful bigot you have very tender sensibilities. Or perhaps you're just another far-left hypocrite.

A friend has been teaching ESL at a Chinese university for a couple years now. You're right about the drinking and partying LOL. He says the students can only afford cheap hooch while admins and other officials have access to the best booze around. Everyone is friendly and accomodating from what I've read of his emails.

A friend has been teaching ESL at a Chinese university for a couple years now. You're right about the drinking and partying LOL. He says the students can only afford cheap hooch while admins and other officials have access to the best booze around. Everyone is friendly and accomodating from what I've read of his emails.

Sounds about right.

Education in China?

Sit down, shut up, do your work....

We could use more of that.

What do Republicans know about education?

Besides it's for "snobs"?

Since someone keeps repeating some false information on the topic, I thought I'd open a thread on college in China.

Acceptance to the best colleges in China is highly competitive. The equivalent of our SAT is a make or break test to determine what colleges a student has any chance of being accepted at. Accordingly, the pressure is very high (and cheating very popular). Public universities are considered the best available in China, and some are now truly world-class. However, those students with the means to do so are eager to study abroad.

College is NOT free in China. In fact, in recent years tuition rates have increased.

College students in China DO like to drink and have sex like most other people their age all over the world. In cities with large student populations there are always a variety of 'no questions asked' abortion clinics and similar services near campuses. The bad news for students is that it is harder to find privacy for 'extra curricular' activities in crowded colleges in crowded cities, but where there's a will... The good news is that it is really cheap to get drunk if you're not picky about what you drink.

I taught at a university in Xi'an about 20 years ago, when China was still a lot more hard-core communist than today and saw all of the above first-hand. Today China is much more liberal (though still quite conservative compared to the US), so...

Now, if you were to ask a Chinese person - particularly an older person - you might be told that such hedonism never takes place, but this is an expression of national pride. When you get to know the people and the place well you quickly realize we're all pretty much the same.

Also, while the sciences are extremely popular areas of study, there are in fact liberal arts majors available at many Chinese colleges.

Oh, and if you don't do well in college you are NOT trucked off to the countryside or forced to toil in a factory like a prisoner. The last thing they need there is another unemployed body.

Good for china for keeping up college standards! As opposed to US colleges who must keep up with political correctness and accept unprepared students.

Good for the Chinese for paying for the education they want their children to have.

Good for China- you fail a test and they'll break your fingers and put you out in a potato field...

How many colleges are in China. I don't mean schools; but like, for example, The Ohio State University? Do kids get to pick where they go? Is there competition among colleges for the best and the brightest?

I heard that the courses offered are correlated to the "needs" of the State. For example, if they needed more potato farmers, it would be required in college. Is that true?

Do they Intermurals? Does The University of Beijing play Hong Kong State in soccer for example?

Interesting post.

Forum List

Back