Coconut possibly good for your brain, reducing heart disease and stroke probability

Yarddog

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2014
Benefits of Coconut Meat

I eat the young coconuts pretty often, theyre easy to break open and you can put the soft meat and the
juice into the blender and come up with different drink variations. its pretty good

Statins' benefits underestimated...
icon_cool.gif

Statins' benefits underestimated, review says
Thu, 08 Sep 2016 - The benefits of the cholesterol-reducing drug statins are underestimated and the harms exaggerated, a major review suggests.
Published in the Lancet and backed by a number of major health organisations, it says statins lower heart attack and stroke risk. The review also suggests side effects such as muscle pain do occur, although in relatively few people. But critics say healthy people are unnecessarily taking medication.

Dummy drug effect

Statins reduce the build-up of fatty plaques that lead to blockages in blood vessels. According to the report authors:

* About six million people are currently taking statins in the UK
* Of those, two million are on them because they have already had a heart attack, stroke or other cardiovascular event
* The remaining four million take statins because of risk factors such as age, blood pressure or diabetes
* Up to two million more should possibly take statins

_91075940_statins.jpg

The Lancet review, led by Prof Rory Collins from the Clinical Trial Service Unit at the University of Oxford, looked at the available evidence for the effects of taking an average 40mg daily dose of statins in 10,000 patients over five years. It suggested cholesterol levels would be lowered enough to prevent 1,000 "major cardiovascular events" such as heart attacks, strokes and coronary artery bypasses in people who had existing vascular disease - and 500 in people who were at risk due to age or other illnesses such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

The review also said randomised controlled trials - where neither patient nor doctor know who is on the real drug and who is on a dummy version - suggested the average dose led to a relatively low level of side effects. In the same 10,000 population, there would be some side effects, including between 50 and 100 cases of adverse events such as muscle pain, it said. Observational studies - where people know they are taking the drug and will have been told of known side effects including muscle pain - had higher rates.

Question marks

I started using coconut oil on toast instead of butter years ago. Tastes better I think and it helps my braine be smarter and gooder...

Forum List

Back