COBRA coverage subsidy ends soon

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by chanel, Nov 29, 2009.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    COBRA coverage subsidy ends soon for many - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Will Congress "take action"? SHOULD Congress take action?

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Hell no.

As often as not, COBRA is more expensive than insurance you can go and scare up yourself.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Yes. One of the guys quoted in the article aid he's healthy and will just get a low cost "catastrophic" policy. I have a feeling under the proposed reforms out there, those policies will no longer be available. Shame.

4. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Last I looked it wasn't taxpayer responsibility to provide health insurance coverage to the general populace. Congress is trying to change that though.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I just found this article:

Health Insurance: Can You Afford It? | WINK News - News, Sports and Weather - Southwest Florida | Local & Florida

There are affordable policies out there. Maybe the insurance companies could put together an insurance pool that offers catastrophic major medical with a high deductible and low premium. Everyone should be able to afford it, and no one should go bankrupt over a major illness. Too simple a solution? Too inexpensive?

Oh who am I kidding? It's not about health insurance. It's about "redistributive justice". I almost forgot.

6. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    The problem with my employer sponsored insurance is that it doesn't offer a catastrophic only plan.
    I can afford standard check-ups and well care. I can afford to spend $10-20k or so for a medical need. All I want is catastrophic plan that kicks in when something really bad happens.

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Wife got canned after the school district denied tenure. F'ing bastards. It was by chance I learned of COBRA and questioned them about it. "Oh yeah- you can apply". By law they were supposed to notify us of the availabliity of COBRA, which they didn't. Then I caught a story on the internet re: the subsidy. "Oh yeah- you can apply". Again they volunteered nothing. It's a Godsend. Great idea. Really helps.