Coast Guard does big surf rescue training in Oregon

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Just DAYUM - These were taken not far from where I live. For anyone who thinks Coast Guard is a cushy job, think again. THIS my friends takes balls of steel.

When a massive swell slammed Oregon recently, the U.S. Coast Guard sent motor lifeboat crews into the pounding surf for an epic day of maneuvers.

Photographer Jeremy Burke, who was given advance notice of the Dec. 26 training session off Newport, captured several stunning images and began sharing them this past week via social media.

The maneuvers involved two motor lifeboats from U.S. Coast Guard Station Yaquina Bay, which currently features one of Burke’s images as its Facebook profile photo.

Burke also sent images to For The Win Outdoors, and viewers will note that seasoned crews aboard both vessels met enormous waves head-on while practicing for real-life emergencies.

“This was a special day on the Oregon Coast with 20- to 25-foot wave faces on a day that there was little wind and it was sunny,” said Burke, who was shooting from the dunes at South Beach State Park. “Close to perfect conditions.”​

Coast Guard takes on giant surf in epic training session

coastguard-main-2.jpg

My uncle was one of those search and rescue guys during the War. Highest rank they had. He never talked about it--I didn't even know the guy could swim!

My uncle was one of those search and rescue guys during the War. Highest rank they had. He never talked about it--I didn't even know the guy could swim!

Brave man. For the life of me, I don't understand how those boats can power through waves this big!

I think the wave powers over the boat, it just holds steerage. Been at sea, NOAA, Navy liason, lobstered for years seen some shit. Grew up New London, knew many Coastguardsmen and women, Avery Point had a great gathering of some boatswains blew me away, used to ride with them. Brutal rides!

Damn, those west coast Coast Guard guys must be different from the East Coast New Jersey guys who tow stranded boats. (Just kidding)

Forum List

Back