Coal miners are terrified Trump's win will cost them their Affordable Health Care

R

rdean

In coal country, some worry Trump will take away black lung benefits

Again and again, President-elect Donald Trump presented himself as the coal miners’ candidate.

That’s because buried in the Affordable Care Act are three sentences that made it much easier to access these benefits. If Trump repeals Obamacare — as he vowed to do before the election — and does not keep that section on the books, the miners will be back to where they were in 2009, when it was exceedingly difficult to be awarded compensation for “black lung” disease.

“The vast majority of people were denied benefits. People would take these cases through the black lung court system and they would be denied because the companies could sow the shadow of a seed of a doubt.”

These changes in the Affordable Care Act not only meant that Arvis Toler ended up being awarded benefits shortly before he died in 2015, but also that his 70-year-old widow, Sue, has continued to receive compensation every month.

The coal industry opposes these rules.

Even so, many coal miners and their advocates are concerned that their fates are tied to a piece of legislation that has, in a certain sense, just lost an election, especially in coal-producing states such as Kentucky and West Virginia. Lawyers working on this issue are worried that repeal of the ACA could mean no compensation for new claimants and the potential loss of benefits for anyone who won them since the law passed.

“I want to make sure that coal country doesn’t assume that they are going to be taken care of just because a lot of our political leaders have voiced support for our region,” he said. “I wish I could be more optimistic that they truly would keep their promise.”

The uncertainty about these benefits is even more worrisome to her because of evidence showing an increase in both the prevalence and severity of black lung cases

-------------------------------------
“I wish I could be more optimistic that they truly would keep their promise.”

Hello, we are talking about Republicans. You know, "Let him die". These coal people are totally fucked. And the comments below the article. Sad.
The GOP base always voting against their own self interests.

you want to know a secret? if you don't repeal obamacare, you're going to find out that all those racist deplorables work at the insurance companies, and then you'll be sorry.

you want to know a secret? if you don't repeal obamacare, you're going to find out that all those racist deplorables work at the insurance companies, and then you'll be sorry.

Them's are fightin' words son
are you a death panel enthusiast? do you believe in eugenics? do you believe in eliminating the human weeds? if not, why are you wanting to pick a fight with someone who stands against those things?

are you a death panel enthusiast? do you believe in eugenics? do you believe in eliminating the human weeds? if not, why are you wanting to pick a fight with someone who stands against those things?

I gotta admit that I don't know what the fuck you're babbling about dude. Miss your meds today?

Again and again, President-elect Donald Trump presented himself as the coal miners’ candidate.

That’s because buried in the Affordable Care Act are three sentences that made it much easier to access these benefits. If Trump repeals Obamacare — as he vowed to do before the election — and does not keep that section on the books, the miners will be back to where they were in 2009, when it was exceedingly difficult to be awarded compensation for “black lung” disease.

“The vast majority of people were denied benefits. People would take these cases through the black lung court system and they would be denied because the companies could sow the shadow of a seed of a doubt.”

These changes in the Affordable Care Act not only meant that Arvis Toler ended up being awarded benefits shortly before he died in 2015, but also that his 70-year-old widow, Sue, has continued to receive compensation every month.

Even so, many coal miners and their advocates are concerned that their fates are tied to a piece of legislation that has, in a certain sense, just lost an election, especially in coal-producing states such as Kentucky and West Virginia. Lawyers working on this issue are worried that repeal of the ACA could mean no compensation for new claimants and the potential loss of benefits for anyone who won them since the law passed.

“I want to make sure that coal country doesn’t assume that they are going to be taken care of just because a lot of our political leaders have voiced support for our region,” he said. “I wish I could be more optimistic that they truly would keep their promise.”

The uncertainty about these benefits is even more worrisome to her because of evidence showing an increase in both the prevalence and severity of black lung cases

Hello, we are talking about Republicans. You know, "Let him die". These coal people are totally fucked. And the comments below the article. Sad.

Amazing Rderp again you want them to have no job and let them live on welfare then have a job where they get a pay check?
You are a pussy.

A real man wants a pay check that he earned.

He wants blood sweat and tears..

Not to rely on hand outs

You hear me loud and clear pal?

I gotta admit that I don't know what the fuck you're babbling about dude. Miss your meds today?
is that all you can do, feign ignorance? are you the no-nothing party now? despite your denials, your public position, the truth about your private position, you know i'm right.

Amazing Rderp again you want them to have no job and let them live on welfare then have a job where they get a pay check?
You are a pussy.

A real man wants a pay check that he earned.

He wants blood sweat and tears..

Not to rely on hand outs

You hear me loud and clear pal?
I hear an idiot ranting, but I have no idea why. Who are "them" and where did I mention welfare?

Black lung disease has nothing to do with obamacare. This whole thing is nonsense.

Black lung disease is an occupational hazard and is covered under worker's compensation coverage.

Black lung disease has nothing to do with obamacare. This whole thing is nonsense.

Black lung disease is an occupational hazard and is covered under worker's compensation coverage.
So you didn't bother to read the links. Well, let's try to educate you.

Before Obamacare, when a worker tried to get help, the insurance company would say you can't prove the lung disease came from coal mining and only a measly 19% of coal miners actually got health care. The ACA moved the onus of proof to the coal mining company and the insurance company. Try to figure out what that means.

Liberal pablum. It's not true. The black lung benefits act of 1973 set up the black lung benefits trust to handle these occupational hazard cases. They are handled separate and apart from insurance companies.

Next time try this out on someone who doesn't know. The unaffordable care act doesn't address black lung disease. It's unlikely that the miners would be able to afford the yearly deductible.

Families who've lost everything, can't feed or cloth their families and are trying to get by on scraps are supposed to give a shit about obiecare?

This is the out of touch crap that's cost you about 1400 government seats.

Liberal pablum. It's not true. The black lung benefits act of 1973 set up the black lung benefits trust to handle these occupational hazard cases. They are handled separate and apart from insurance companies.

Next time try this out on someone who doesn't know. The unaffordable care act doesn't address black lung disease. It's unlikely that the miners would be able to afford the yearly deductible.

Why are we seeing this constant whining and crying from these twits.

Trump is a mess that they caused.

They don't all work there.
Many are homeless or living in trailers.
Or doing unskilled labor at minimum wage or less.
In the midwest, many work at McDonald's and Burger King.

How can you not know that?

26afdb11c9607d1a805014783820941a.jpg

MMM mmm, going to the road kill cook off!

NEWSFLASH deanie!!! O'Care is imploding upon itself you partisan dolt rdean . Premiums have sky rocketed. Even one of my hillary- supporter friends told me his premiums went through the roof and he's in his 30's.

Forum List

Back