Coaches...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
When did coaches get so casual?

I can remember back in the day when Tom Landry would prowl the Cowboys sideline in a jacket, tie and a hat:

gettyimages-50852314.jpg

Vince Lombardi was the same way. Shula started out with a jacket when he was with the Browns and the Colts, but moved to a polo shirt when he went to Miami. He'd even opt for a V-neck sweater from time to time:

Miami-Dolphins-coach-Don-Shula.jpg

Hockey and basketball coaches also seem to be wearing business attire:

gettyimages-137259177-1562794588.jpg

And, for some inexplicable reason, baseball managers wear the team uniform (has a manager been a player since Pete Rose?):

20100722__morebochy21.jpg

But then you look at someone like Bill Belichick. He dresses like he's homeless:

F5PEMNHZY4I6THQCDVC4WPP2R4.jpg
GQ-Bill-Belichick-092320.png

Just makes me shake my head sometimes...

That's nothing, here is the football coach today for the San Fran 49ers

Apparently it is legal to walk around naked there, but I"m not sure he should have been out on the field.

I can remember back in the day when Tom Landry would prowl the Cowboys sideline in a jacket, tie and a hat:

gettyimages-50852314.jpg

Vince Lombardi was the same way. Shula started out with a jacket when he was with the Browns and the Colts, but moved to a polo shirt when he went to Miami. He'd even opt for a V-neck sweater from time to time:

And, for some inexplicable reason, baseball managers wear the team uniform (has a manager been a player since Pete Rose?):

But then you look at someone like Bill Belichick. He dresses like he's homeless:

8 Superbowl appearances, 5 Superbowl rings. 9 AFC Championships.
Yeah, the last three seasons haven't been great, but, he can still dress like he wants to....at least for another year or two.
If things stay bad, the game is up. :)

gettyimages-50852314.jpg

Belichick looks like the guy I gave 5 bucks to outside of Safeway a few days ago.

Belichick looks like the guy I gave 5 bucks to outside of Safeway a few days ago.

Man, fuck those guys. I see them holding signs at the exits of shopping centers, where there are stores with "HELP WANTED" signs. I had one guy tell me he does well enough begging that, even though he'd make a few more bucks if had an actual job, he doesn't have to exert any effort to hold up a sign.

Besides, if I gave five bucks to everyone I see holding a "GOD BLESS" sign at an intersection I'd go broke...

In the NBA they started going causal a couple of years ago.

In Football the last coach to wear a suit was Dan Reeves.

gettyimages-50852314.jpg

It happened about the time entire coolers of iced Gatorade were poured on the winning coach. The dry cleaning bills were murder!

Society as a whole is a lot more casual now compared with the days of Landry. It’s not just coaches. It doesn’t bother me but I’ve heard this brought up by numerous people.

Forum List

Back