CNN calls the Griner exchange a win for Putin

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Apparently they're as perplexed as everyone else.

"CNN — It is the most uneven of swaps at the most unlikely of times, but perhaps the intense pressure of this moment is why the exchange of a US basketball star for a Russian arms dealer ended up happening now.

On the surface, Brittney Griner and Viktor Bout are accused of ludicrously different crimes. Griner was sentenced to a Russian penal colony for possession of a single gram of cannabis oil. Bout is allegedly the most prolific arms dealer of the past decades, fuelling conflicts in Africa and beyond – and more specifically being convicted in a US court of plotting to kill Americans.

But the circumstances and political pressure on both sides reversed this imbalance. Griner gained a significance to Americans – based on her claims of innocence and her blatant seizure as a geopolitical pawn on the eve of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine – that mandated the Biden administration to begin negotiations with the Kremlin at the worst point of US-Russian relations since at least the end of the Cold War.

Bout’s outsized importance to Russia has always been the bigger puzzle. How can one man be so valuable to Moscow they spend decades seeking his release at whatever level they can, and also be just an innocent and unfortunate global pilot and tradesman, as he has claimed? Who is this guy who denies everything?"

Why Viktor Bout's return to Russia is so important for Vladimir Putin | CNN

I agree 100%. Only an idiot would have made this trade.

Hey Joe, I've got some beachfront property in Nebraska for sale, really cheap! Interested?

And I have some magic beans I'd trade for his cow, but Jill would have to sleep in the shed.

Why would we expect anything else? The New Woke Order is in power, Paul Whelan is an old White guy, otherwise known as invisible.
That damned Trump....

No one is really happy about this but unfortunately the hostage taker holds all the cards. Still trying to figure out why Putin even wants this man. All those weapons he sold were Soviet state property he stole and resold to anyone with a pile of cash. I guess Russian mega thieves have to stick together.

President Trump would have offered Uncle Pootie some good publicity and positive public relations and Putin would have taken it gladly.

The Trumpster knows how to work out deals and how to talk to people.
Don't you appreciate the fact that President Biden can shake hands with ghosts?

No one is really happy about this but unfortunately the hostage taker holds all the cards. Still trying to figure out why Putin even wants this man. All those weapons he sold were Soviet state property he stole and resold to anyone with a pile of cash. I guess Russian mega thieves have to stick together.

Ms. Griner pleaded guilty to a drug felony in Russia and ended up locked up abroad.

Like a lot of other Americans, in a lot of other countries (including plenty of other Americans stewing in their juices in Russian prisons)

Putin saw how much pressure Sleepy Joe was under here to get this broad free, and took advantage to spring this Merchant of Death fellow.

That damned Trump....
You have no clue what President Trump did or didn't do to try and get Whelan released. You are just deflecting attention away from the idiot Griner and the idiot Biden.

We got an American home.

Russia got another gun runner (as if they lacked enough people with that strength).

Most Americans are cool with it. So am I.

Who doesn't want an American home?

So you are cool with releasing the Merchant of Fucking Death?

If it wasn't important to keep this fellow behind bars, why didn't Sleepy Joe release him before now?

Apparently they're as perplexed as everyone else.

"CNN — It is the most uneven of swaps at the most unlikely of times, but perhaps the intense pressure of this moment is why the exchange of a US basketball star for a Russian arms dealer ended up happening now.

On the surface, Brittney Griner and Viktor Bout are accused of ludicrously different crimes. Griner was sentenced to a Russian penal colony for possession of a single gram of cannabis oil. Bout is allegedly the most prolific arms dealer of the past decades, fuelling conflicts in Africa and beyond – and more specifically being convicted in a US court of plotting to kill Americans.

But the circumstances and political pressure on both sides reversed this imbalance. Griner gained a significance to Americans – based on her claims of innocence and her blatant seizure as a geopolitical pawn on the eve of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine – that mandated the Biden administration to begin negotiations with the Kremlin at the worst point of US-Russian relations since at least the end of the Cold War.

Bout’s outsized importance to Russia has always been the bigger puzzle. How can one man be so valuable to Moscow they spend decades seeking his release at whatever level they can, and also be just an innocent and unfortunate global pilot and tradesman, as he has claimed? Who is this guy who denies everything?"

Why Viktor Bout's return to Russia is so important for Vladimir Putin | CNN

We got an American home.

Russia got another gun runner (as if they lacked enough people with that strength).

Most Americans are cool with it. So am I.

Who doesn't want an American home?
We got an IDIOT home who has by "her" idiotic actions led to the release of a Russian Terrorist. Pardon me if I don't join you in celebration.

Forum List

Back