Clown Show At Academy Awards

Legend didn't say anything about drugs or sentencing. He just bitched about how many Blacks are incarcerated.
EARTH TO WB: The real crux of all this is, if you don't do the crime, you don't have to do the time. The the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 has reduced the crack/cocaine sentencing quantity disparity (as opposed to powder cocaine), but this is going outside the basic point here. Nobody needs to take recreational drugs (or sell them). Just DON'T DO IT, and then there IS NO sentencing difference, because there's no crime or sentence, to begin with, Get it ?

As for "studies", I'm not necessarily slamming whatever ones you may know of, but generally, you can find a study, or a few of them, to say anything you like. Kind of like picking T-Shits in WalMart.

I am not justifying anything Legend said or any claims surrounding his comments. I just asked you a question to point out the fact that there is a disparity between the sentences given to blacks and to white.

I still think you are going nuts over a simple statement made at an awards show. Legend is not a politician. He is a musician (contrary to what you claimed). But you want to go ballistic because he had the audacity to exercise his 1st amendment rights on an awards show. Wow.
FALSE! I fully support his right to speak, and speak his opinion. It is that opinion that I contest, wherein he is trying to make the case that Blacks, now in 2015 are being treated so unfairly, that it is comparable to the Jim Crow era that the Selma movie (oddly shown in 2015) is about. Nothing could be further from the case. His comment was stupid.

2015 is just the opposite of the 1950s and early 60's. Instead of discrimination against, Blacks have an outrageous, hypocritical discrimination to their favor, which if anything Legend ought to be defensive and critical about,. As for the criminals in prison, just be law abiding, that's all. There are millions of severely poor Whites living in the southern Appalachian mountains, in worse poverty than inner-city Blacks, and they manage to stay out of prison. Likewise, there are Blacks in the same neighborhoods as the criminals, and they, like the Whites in the mountains, admirably tough it out, without resorting to crime.

Maybe this movie should have been about those people.

Or maybe the movie being about Selma will remind blacks of the sacrifices made by their parents in order to obtain the freedoms they now enjoy.

Yes, you were simply wanting to contest his comments about the situation blacks today are in. lol Suuuure. That is why 85% of the OP was an attack on Legend and his music. That is why you called his award a fraud. lol Sorry, but NOBODY is buying that.
Now you get the Suuuure talk. This thread is a replacement for the thread that was totally about Legend's Selma now BS , AND YOU KNOW IT. So don't give us this crap about the music. You're just using that to razz me (since you've elected yourself to be my personal troll), and hide from what I'm saying about Legend's dopey victim talk. Distinct deflection. That's plain as day, and not hard for anybody to be "buying" that.

I am not your personal anything. I post in threads that catch my interest. But if you want to talk about trolling, when you got frustrated in this thread you popped up in two other threads to harass me. But I'm fine with that. Post where you want.

Now, as for your previous thread, it is difficult to discuss it because it is no longer accessible. And that was YOUR choice. I do remember you talking about how you would have busted Legend in the mouth and taken away his Oscar. lol And, as I recall, you were trying to be all badass with me, and you wanted me to give my phonenumber to one of the mods so we could talk. So that thread was not ALL about Legend's comment either. I recall you calling Naval service as "being a pussy". So you may have originally been angry about his comments, but in BOTH threads you went crazy in multiple directions.
Various things are said in posts, but they still center around a particular notion. Are you new around here ?

I am not justifying anything Legend said or any claims surrounding his comments. I just asked you a question to point out the fact that there is a disparity between the sentences given to blacks and to white.

I still think you are going nuts over a simple statement made at an awards show. Legend is not a politician. He is a musician (contrary to what you claimed). But you want to go ballistic because he had the audacity to exercise his 1st amendment rights on an awards show. Wow.
FALSE! I fully support his right to speak, and speak his opinion. It is that opinion that I contest, wherein he is trying to make the case that Blacks, now in 2015 are being treated so unfairly, that it is comparable to the Jim Crow era that the Selma movie (oddly shown in 2015) is about. Nothing could be further from the case. His comment was stupid.

2015 is just the opposite of the 1950s and early 60's. Instead of discrimination against, Blacks have an outrageous, hypocritical discrimination to their favor, which if anything Legend ought to be defensive and critical about,. As for the criminals in prison, just be law abiding, that's all. There are millions of severely poor Whites living in the southern Appalachian mountains, in worse poverty than inner-city Blacks, and they manage to stay out of prison. Likewise, there are Blacks in the same neighborhoods as the criminals, and they, like the Whites in the mountains, admirably tough it out, without resorting to crime.

Or maybe the movie being about Selma will remind blacks of the sacrifices made by their parents in order to obtain the freedoms they now enjoy.

Yes, you were simply wanting to contest his comments about the situation blacks today are in. lol Suuuure. That is why 85% of the OP was an attack on Legend and his music. That is why you called his award a fraud. lol Sorry, but NOBODY is buying that.
Now you get the Suuuure talk. This thread is a replacement for the thread that was totally about Legend's Selma now BS , AND YOU KNOW IT. So don't give us this crap about the music. You're just using that to razz me (since you've elected yourself to be my personal troll), and hide from what I'm saying about Legend's dopey victim talk. Distinct deflection. That's plain as day, and not hard for anybody to be "buying" that.

I am not your personal anything. I post in threads that catch my interest. But if you want to talk about trolling, when you got frustrated in this thread you popped up in two other threads to harass me. But I'm fine with that. Post where you want.

Now, as for your previous thread, it is difficult to discuss it because it is no longer accessible. And that was YOUR choice. I do remember you talking about how you would have busted Legend in the mouth and taken away his Oscar. lol And, as I recall, you were trying to be all badass with me, and you wanted me to give my phonenumber to one of the mods so we could talk. So that thread was not ALL about Legend's comment either. I recall you calling Naval service as "being a pussy". So you may have originally been angry about his comments, but in BOTH threads you went crazy in multiple directions.
Various things are said in posts, but they still center around a particular notion. Are you new around here ?

Yes, various things are said in threads. But when far less is said about Legend's statement than is said about other things means the topic is not just about his statement.

When you spend far more time talking about his music and trying to denigrate him as an artist than you spend talking about his statement and the reason it is wrong, the topic becomes his music and your attack on it. especially when your attacks are so blatantly wrong.

Yes, various things are said in threads. But when far less is said about Legend's statement than is said about other things means the topic is not just about his statement.

When you spend far more time talking about his music and trying to denigrate him as an artist than you spend talking about his statement and the reason it is wrong, the topic becomes his music and your attack on it. especially when your attacks are so blatantly wrong.
If your point is that his music is of good quality, then that might be more in the realm of subjective taste than objective assessment.

Here's a question for you. You seem to thinks that Legend's songs are of high quality. Well, songs are composed of 2 elements. Poetic words and music. So what songs of his do you think are of high quality ? (with good quality words)

Last edited:
Well, I have to tell you WB. I looked up a couple of John Legend's latest big hits (All of Me & You and I), and I'm not at all impresses with the lyrics there. They seem to be very ordinary, unspecial, and like could have been written by a 12 year old. Put these next to just about any Bob Dylan song, and it's like comparing a shack to a mansion. And this guy won 9 Grammys ? For what ?

If your point is that his music is of good quality, then that might be more in the realm of subjective taste than objective assessment.

Here's a question for you. You seem to thinks that Legend's songs are of high quality. Well, songs are composed of 2 elements. Poetic words and music. So what songs of his do you think are of high quality ? (with good quality words)

There are plenty of great songs (and excellent music of various genres) that have no words at all.

I happen to be a fan of Surf Music. Most of those songs have no lyrics at all.

That said, I have never said I was a fan of Legend's music. I just corrected you in your claim that he is a rapper and that his award was fraudulent. I heard clips of his songs, and he seems to be gifted at writing music for movies. The Academy certainly thinks so.

Well, I have to tell you WB. I looked up a couple of John Legend's latest big hits (All of Me & You and I), and I'm not at all impresses with the lyrics there. They seem to be very ordinary, unspecial, and like could have been written by a 12 year old. Put these next to just about any Bob Dylan song, and it's like comparing a shack to a mansion. And this guy won 9 Grammys ? For what ?

For his music? I get that you don't care for his genre. But comparing an R&B musician to Dylan seems a bit odd, especially since you seem completely focused on the lyrics.

For his music? I get that you don't care for his genre. But comparing an R&B musician to Dylan seems a bit odd, especially since you seem completely focused on the lyrics.
That's just for now, because lyrics are easier to look up at a glance. As a musician myself, and one who plays 5 instruments on a professional level (and have done so since before Legend was born), I'll check out his music too, the next thing. And I'll be objective. If he sounds good, I'll say so. I'll admit that I thought he was just a rapper, and I'll give him credit for that not being the case. I'm not really down on Black music in general, I just think that rap is a stupid genre, if it can even be called that.

I happen to appreciate some Black performers very much. Ex. Chuck Berry, Mississippi John Hurt (and other Black Mississippi Delta Blues guitarists), Jimi Hendrix, the Temptations, Impressions, Frankie Lymon, & the Teenagers, etc

Here's one of my top favorites. Check it out. Great guitar work.

Here is a perfect example of music without lyrics. These guys are good friends of mine are among the best in the surf music scene.

There are plenty of great songs (and excellent music of various genres) that have no words at all.

That said, I have never said I was a fan of Legend's music. I just corrected you in your claim that he is a rapper and that his award was fraudulent. I heard clips of his songs, and he seems to be gifted at writing music for movies. The Academy certainly thinks so.
I have no argument with this post, except that I will correct you one one thing you said that makes musicians cringe. lol You said >> "There are plenty of great songs... that have no words at all."

Songs are art works that have WORDS and music. Ones that are only music are called "tunes" (sometimes called instrumentals also)

Here is a perfect example of music without lyrics. These guys are good friends of mine are among the best in the surf music scene.

The guy second from left is playing some decent lead (melody) guitar. The 2 on the right are both playing rythym guitar (chords only).

I have no argument with this post, except that I will correct you one one thing you said that makes musicians cringe. lol You said >> "There are plenty of great songs... that have no words at all."

Songs are art works that have WORDS and music. Ones that are only music are called "tunes" (sometimes called instrumentals also)

Eh, that seems to be a bit picky, but ok. Then look at musical compositions. Some have lyrics and some don't.

The guy second from left is playing some decent lead (melody) guitar. The 2 on the right are both playing rythym guitar (chords only).

The one on the far right is playing rhythm guitar. The one between him and the main lead guitar is alternating between playing rhythm (chords only) and playing a dual lead. The two in the center switch off playing lead.

The one on the far right is playing rhythm guitar. The one between him and the main lead guitar is alternating between playing rhythm (chords only) and playing a dual lead. The two in the center switch off playing lead.

I didn't see that second guy from the right playing much lead. If he was, it wasn't much (bass runs maybe). Let me take another look.

I didn't see that second guy from the right playing much lead. If he was, it wasn't much (bass runs maybe). Let me take another look.

Mostly when you see him using the whammy bar. (I think its actually called a vibrato arm?)

Mostly when you see him using the whammy bar. (I think its actually called a vibrato arm?)

I took another look. The guy second from the right is not playing any lead. Not one note. I thought maybe he was going to when he went way up past the 12th fret, but his fingers weren't moving. Just another chord. He doesn't have a whammy bar. Only the guy playing lead (second from left) has one (unless my eyes are going on me).

I took another look. The guy second from the right is not playing any lead. Not one note. I thought maybe he was going to when he went way up past the 12th fret, but his fingers weren't moving. Just another chord. He doesn't have a whammy bar. Only the guy playing lead (second from left) has one (unless my eyes are going on me).

No, the third from the left has one as well. Look at it at around 00:25 and 00:38. It is clearly visible.

Looking at the video again I was is taken as to whether Jamie plays any lead in that number. My mistake. They usually do a dual lead thing that is tight as hell.

Forum List

Back