Closed Primaries?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cecilie1200, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    It seems that most of the people attending the Republican Governors Association Conference in November feel that the Republican Party needs to become more conservative in order to win in the future. To that end, many people in the party are looking at the idea of closing Republican primaries to anyone who is not actually registered as a Republican.

Wow, that was complicated. I said that months ago, and didn't even have a high-powered conference to figure it out. :eusa_whistle:

In the 2008 presidential primaries, exit polls prove John McCain failed to win a single race among registered Republican voters in open primaries up to Super Tuesday, yet during that same period he went from also-ran to front runner because most non-Republicans who crossed over voted for him. In New Hampshire, Romney won among registered Republicans, but McCain won overall. Likewise, in South Carolina, Huckabee won among registered Republicans, but McCain won the state.

This, of course, demonstrates that open primaries yield more leftward candidates. And why is it, I keep asking, that the GOP would want Democrats and moderate independents choosing their candidates for them? Democrats, obviously, are going to vote for the Democrat candidate in the general election, and if 2008 is any indication, moderates who voted for the more liberal of the GOP candidates in the primary are ALSO going to vote for the Democrat in the primary. So why listen to them?

Saul Anuzis, chairman of the Michigan GOP and one of the three leading candidates for RNC chairman, says this:

The Republican Party is moving inexorably toward closing rather than opening its presidential primaries, because the party needs to pick its candidates rather than allowing others to do so. As Chairman, he would facilitate and encourage the increasingly closed primary process, which could not be formally adopted as a nationwide mandate until the Republican National Convention in 2012. However, the RNC could indeed pass a Resolution in the meantime encouraging the states to close their primaries in the interim in the run-up to 2012.

Katon Dawson and Michael Steele, two other leading candidates for RNC chairman, also favor the idea.

2. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    another thing is republicans have to get out their voters in the primaries
    something they also failed to do this year

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    It would help. I think a lot of the GOP's voters weren't exactly enthused about the slate of choices.

They certainly had trouble getting out their voters in the general.

4. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have to disagree. Closed primaries suck and switching from NPA to a party for the purpose of voting in a primary is an inconvenience that probably deters many people from voting. Another possibility is the semi-closed primary, where you can choose at the poll which party's primary to vote for.

No matter how a primary is structured, Closed, Semi-closed, or Open, it doesn’t prevent the libtards from crossing over to vote for the weakest of opposition candidates, they do it anyway. A closed primary only means that they have to reregister to do it and if their willing to go that far to skew an election and promote their candidate I doubt that reregistering is a big deal for them.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I have long thought that open primaries are a terrible mistake.

Were I reinventing the political party system, you couldn't vote in a party primary unless you were an ACTIVE member of the party.

Forget JUST being registers as a member of a party to vote in a primary

You'd have to actually have been actively involved in the party to be qualified to select nominants.

6. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    How would you define 'active'? Wouldn't any subjective measure be used to exclude? People are active in different ways, some are not documentable.

I would scrap the two-party system... We could have several open votes, starting with internet polls based on resumes posted by interested candidates, moving from all to 50 to 20 to 10. The top 10 could be narrowed to 5 and then to 2 who face off in a general election. The most popular ideas, regardless of party affiliation, would be brought forward for public debate.

The two-party system rarely puts the best candidates on the ballot, and concentrates way too much power into the hands of the party elite and their corporate sponsors.

-Joe

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    Yet your idea retains the two party system very well.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Attending meetings of the party. Being involved in same.

Since I stopped being involved in party politics, I do not vote in primaries.

Why?

I do not feel it is my place to decide since I was not involved in the day to day business of party business, that's why.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    What moronic drivel.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    If your to stupid to know who to pick from your own party to RUN for President, why the hell are you voting in the actual election?