CDZ Climate Change vs. Nuclear Power

Okay then, you somehow didn't understand what "non–fossil fuel electricity even when winds are calm or the sun is not shining" meant. Also, an unabashed "Pundit" for a source. Hilarious!

There was no explanation of how that was to be done in your post.

Batteries need to be charged so how long does it take those batteries to be charged to a sufficient degree to be used as a back up heat source for the steam powered turbines?

How long will the steam powered turbines run on the back up heat source?

How many acres of pristine desert will we have to trash in order to meet future power needs?

How can one be sincerely concerned about man-made Climate Change but opposed to the most obvious remedy, nuclear power? Please explain.

You'd need to ask that one. Man-made climate change is on going, so is NIMBY when it comes to nuclear reactors. Worse, see:

FY20 Budget Request: DOE Applied Energy R&D

"In its budget request for fiscal year 2020, the Trump administration has once again proposed deep cuts for the Department of Energy’s applied R&D programs. For the third time, it is seeking to defund the Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy and to slash the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) budget to a small fraction of its current size.

"Nuclear and fossil energy R&D programs would also see large cuts. However, the administration is requesting increases for programs focused on the security and reliability of the nation’s electric grid."

Seriously? This is the first time you've heard of molten salt solar collectors?

Molten salt storage
See also: Thermal energy storage

The 150 MW Andasol solar power station is a commercial parabolic trough solar thermal power plant, located in Spain. The Andasol plant uses tanks of molten salt to store solar energy so that it can continue generating electricity even when the sun isn't shining.[57]
A variety of fluids have been tested to transport the sun's heat, including water, air, oil, and sodium, but Rockwell International[58] selected molten salt as best.[59] Molten salt is used in solar power tower systems because it is liquid at atmospheric pressure, provides a low-cost medium to store thermal energy, its operating temperatures are compatible with today's steam turbines, and it is non-flammable and nontoxic. Molten salt is used in the chemical and metals industries to transport heat, so industry has experience with it.

Molten salt storage

The 150 MW Andasol solar power station is a commercial parabolic trough solar thermal power plant, located in Spain. The Andasol plant uses tanks of molten salt to store solar energy so that it can continue generating electricity even when the sun isn't shining.[57]
A variety of fluids have been tested to transport the sun's heat, including water, air, oil, and sodium, but Rockwell International[58] selected molten salt as best.[59] Molten salt is used in solar power tower systems because it is liquid at atmospheric pressure, provides a low-cost medium to store thermal energy, its operating temperatures are compatible with today's steam turbines, and it is non-flammable and nontoxic. Molten salt is used in the chemical and metals industries to transport heat, so industry has experience with it.
Will you answer my questions or not?

How many acres of pristine desert will we have to trash in order to meet future power needs?
Just curious. Does your concern extend at least equally to the hundreds of thousands currently ripping around pretty much anywhere they damn please on all wheel drive recreational vehicles these days?

Molten salt storage

I've provided the links. They explain it all very well.

Just curious. Does your concern extend at least equally to the hundreds of thousands currently ripping around pretty much anywhere they damn please on all wheel drive recreational vehicles these days?

They cause nowhere near the destruction as it is spread out over many acres and there are usually marked routes, at least there were everywhere I ever went rock crawling in the Southwest

So still no answers to the questions I asked you huh?

Molten salt storage

I've provided the links. They explain it all very well.

Well since you're the expert here I thought you would know

But since you don't know , you'll be interested that the molten salt heat sinks will only provide back up power for 4 hours

That seems like a lot of space and money to use for only 4 hours worth of back up.

And as I said the molten salt
Oh good, you're a molten salt fan!

BDFC08B0-D232-42A6-913FD1D1A2BE03CA_source.jpg

Crescent Dunes, the flagship project of Santa Monica–based firm SolarReserve, has achieved what engineers and proponents of renewable energy have struggled with for decades: providing cheap, commercial-scale, non–fossil fuel electricity even when winds are calm or the sun is not shining.

Progress - Hilarious!

Molten salt cooling that solar project?
Or is it the fuel?

The Sun is the fuel. The salt is the battery.

So your comment was silly. Thanks.

With the technology available today, we could have safe, low wasted Nuclear Power, but the Democrats want to use the hoax of man made climate change to enact wealth and income redistribution, so they demonize nuke power.

France has embraced Nuclear Power successfully.

With the technology available today, we could have safe, low wasted Nuclear Power, but the Democrats want to use the hoax of man made climate change to enact wealth and income redistribution, so they demonize nuke power.

France has embraced Nuclear Power successfully.

And France did it with old style light water reactors.

you'll be interested that the molten salt heat sinks will only provide back up power for 4 hours
Yeah, that sentence makes no sense, but I hope you enjoyed constructing it.

That's from your link, Corky

Oh, so you meant in one particular application of molten salt technology, not in general, so... big surprise. Another nothing burger. Thanks for clarifying!

It's the only one you linked to.

The only thing molten salt can be used for is heat storage and transfer

What other uses does it have in power production. Mr Expert?

you'll be interested that the molten salt heat sinks will only provide back up power for 4 hours

Oh, so you meant in one particular application of molten salt technology, not in general, so... big surprise. Another nothing burger. Thanks for clarifying!

Wait, weren't you one of the many here crying earlier about solar and wind power lacking storage capacity? Comparatively, nukes don't have any either. What does that tell ya? Then YOU BRING UP molten salt in relation to nukes and act all hurt when it turns out to be one way solar energy's been commercially stored for decades. I'm not your Alexa or Seri. We have this thing called the internet as well now. You can Google and read to your hearts desire. Please do. I've got peas to plant.

For those interested in a rather long and esoteric read, see this link:

Generation IV reactor - Wikipedia
Everyone owes it to themselves to look into advanced breeder type neuclear fission reactors that use Thorium fuels instead of uranium and are completely different than the uranium fueled light water reactors in use today. It's really the only realistic alternative that address all of our concerns that can be employed in the near term.

Here's a nice little easy to watch video that provides a 50,000 foot level view that outlines the basics to get you going.

Wait, weren't you one of the many here crying earlier about solar and wind power lacking storage capacity? Comparatively, nukes don't have any either. What does that tell ya? Then YOU BRING UP molten salt in relation to nukes and act all hurt when it turns out to be one way solar energy's been commercially stored for decades. I'm not your Alexa or Seri. We have this thing called the internet as well now. You can Google and read to your hearts desire. Please do. I've got peas to plant.

I have never mentioned storage capacity

And the Thorium molten salt in nuclear reactors is used as a heat transfer medium,

The fuel is mixed with the salt, the salt fuel liquid super heats water into steam and then the steam drives the turbines that produce electricity.

The advantage of molten salt reactors is that they do not run under the high pressures needed in light water reactors

And you don't seem to care that all that molten salt storage for that monstrosity of a solar farm will only provide enough heat for a mere 4 hours of back up.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back