Clerk in DC thought New Mexico was a foreign country. WTF?

Couple forced to prove New Mexico is a state while applying for marriage license

I get that being a clerk at the license office doesn't require a college degree. But you should know the 50 states.

You'd be surprised how often that actually happens. I used to live in New Mexico, back before the Interwebs, and we would order stuff from catalogs. Invariably, we'd be talking to some agent on the phone, and say that our address was in New Mexico, and said agent would go, "Oh, we don't ship internationally."

As an adult, I have encountered co-workers who, when dealing with clients, couldn't differentiate between Mexico and New Mexico.

I'm sorry the dumbing down of Americans has been a steady course of action for some decades now and it is starting to show.

When I was younger I worked in telemarketing. People on the phone would ask where I'm from. I'd say West Virginia. Many would respond, "Western Virginia? I love your beaches."

Couple forced to prove New Mexico is a state while applying for marriage license

I get that being a clerk at the license office doesn't require a college degree. But you should know the 50 states.

You'd be surprised how often that actually happens. I used to live in New Mexico, back before the Interwebs, and we would order stuff from catalogs. Invariably, we'd be talking to some agent on the phone, and say that our address was in New Mexico, and said agent would go, "Oh, we don't ship internationally."

As an adult, I have encountered co-workers who, when dealing with clients, couldn't differentiate between Mexico and New Mexico.

You're wrong. There are 57 states.

When I was younger I worked in telemarketing. People on the phone would ask where I'm from. I'd say West Virginia. Many would respond, "Western Virginia? I love your beaches."
/-----/ I moved to Long Island from S Carolina. I studied a map so I could orientate myself. I was amazed at how many native New Yorkers didn't know Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island. They think it's just Nassau and Suffolk counties. even when I showed them a map, they just shook their heads with a "that can't be right."
upload_2018-11-30_16-28-54.png

/-----/ I moved to Long Island from S Carolina. I studied a map so I could orientate myself. I was amazed at how many native New Yorkers didn't know Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island. They think it's just Nassau and Suffolk counties. even when I showed them a map, they just shook their heads with a "that can't be right."
View attachment 231861

There has been dispute where the term "West by God Virginia" came from. One of the most popular is that a soldier during WW1 was asked where he came from. When he said West Virginia people thought he meant Virginia. He started responding, "WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA!"

These days, college degrees are usually precursors of civics and geography ignorance.

Be nice. This is America, where ANY kid can aspire to grow up and be ignorant!
And accrue incredible debt for the privilege!

I used to vacation in Taos. There were tons of accounts there of people who didn't think New Mexico was in the union.

Yep. Years ago I used to do credit/collections for a medical distributor,and I used to contact a lot of shipping and receiving people that worked for the big California hospitals like Cedars and Kaiser. I remember once being asked if I needed a visa to work in New Mexico.

These days, college degrees are usually precursors of civics and geography ignorance.

Be nice. This is America, where ANY kid can aspire to grow up and be ignorant!
And accrue incredible debt for the privilege!

Which is, by itself, an indication of ignorance.

Forum List

Back