Civilization V: Brave New World

Yes it has. A damn good game too. Got a LOT of criticism though for the one unit per tile mechanic that was added. I am waiting for tides to go on sale before getting the the next installment. Not a big fan of Fraxis new strategy of charging for half the game and then charging for the elements that complete it.

Yes it has. A damn good game too. Got a LOT of criticism though for the one unit per tile mechanic that was added. I am waiting for tides to go on sale before getting the the next installment. Not a big fan of Fraxis new strategy of charging for half the game and then charging for the elements that complete it.

Agree the criticism regarding the unit per tile, however, death stacks were another issue with the previous mechanic.

The marketing strategy of gaming companies have also come a long way :)

Agree the criticism regarding the unit per tile, however, death stacks were another issue with the previous mechanic.

I liked the removal of stacks of doom. It doesn't take an hour just to move your units.

Not a big fan of Fraxis new strategy of charging for half the game and then charging for the elements that complete it.

That is pretty common for strategy games. Creative Assembly and Paradox have been doing it for years.

Even FPS now days. Look at the turds at EA DICE.

I liked the removal of stacks of doom. It doesn't take an hour just to move your units.
Same here. It adds a lot of strategy to the warring aspect of the game.

The problem is they cannot seem to code an AI that is worth a damn on that strategical level though. There is a serious flaw in the experience system as well. Once you get a few double attack siege weapons with +1 range the AI is obliterated - it just cannot deal with that.

Not a big fan of Fraxis new strategy of charging for half the game and then charging for the elements that complete it.

That is pretty common for strategy games. Creative Assembly and Paradox have been doing it for years.
And my response is wait until they go on 65-85% sale on steam.

Not going to pay for a game multiple times.
Have you played Beyond Earth yet? I was sooo excited when it came out. It's basically a re-skinned Civ 5. That's what I'm pissed at Firaxis for. It could have been DLC instead of a stand alone title.

Have you played Beyond Earth yet? I was sooo excited when it came out. It's basically a re-skinned Civ 5. That's what I'm pissed at Firaxis for. It could have been DLC instead of a stand alone title.

CIV used to be a historical strategy game.

Beyond Earth however, is a sci-fi. Although it is a little change to the mechanics and the gameplay, seems like a huge change in the CIV series.

But to Firaxis, new title, more money to be collected of course...

CIV used to be a historical strategy game.

Beyond Earth however, is a sci-fi. Although it is a little change to the mechanics and the gameplay, seems like a huge change in the CIV series.

But to Firaxis, new title, more money to be collected of course...
A lot of people thought it was going to be a new Alpha Centauri (between Civ II and III I think). A post end game continuation of Civ. It clearly wasn't. While the game play is almost identical, there are some things that I would like to see in any new Civ title. The way the tech tree is laid out is awesome. It starts in the middle and branches out like a flow chart. Missions are also something that would be nice to see added to Civ. Completing certain objectives gives you bonus currency, resources, units, etc.

Sure beats when we had a thousand units all separately moved on board games...you had to figure out desertion rates, attrition rates, demoralization rates all before you ever moved or engaged in combat..

Sure beats when we had a thousand units all separately moved on board games...you had to figure out desertion rates, attrition rates, demoralization rates all before you ever moved or engaged in combat..
You played the board game?
Yes..I started in the early 1970's. We had a club of players from school..Napoleonic era was my favorite...

Yes..I started in the early 1970's. We had a club of players from school..Napoleonic era was my favorite...
Ohhh. I thought you meant Civ the board game from the early 80s lol. I think my aunt had some of the Napoleonic games. I was too young to actually play it but I loved the maps and pieces. I also remember similar games that used those cardboard tiles with Roman numerals representing units.

Ohhh. I thought you meant Civ the board game from the early 80s lol. I think my aunt had some of the Napoleonic games. I was too young to actually play it but I loved the maps and pieces. I also remember similar games that used those cardboard tiles with Roman numerals representing units.
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was another favorite, Axis and Allies, even had Desert Storm strategy game along with NATO:The Next War..Before the advent of Nintendo release....Civ is just another in the long lines of strategy games.. I have played Civ V for over 5 years now...

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was another favorite, Axis and Allies, even had Desert Storm strategy game along with NATO:The Next War..Before the advent of Nintendo release....Civ is just another in the long lines of strategy games.. I have played Civ V for over 5 years now...
I played the shit out of Axis & Allies. Don't forget about Fortress America.

The ones I have on the US civil war and war for independence are a lot slower than i'd like them to be..

The ones I have on the US civil war and war for independence are a lot slower than i'd like them to be..
Sid Meier had a great game called Gettysburg. Civil War Generals I and II were the best Civil War games imo. I would love it if I could find and play those older games. Steel Panthers is another great title. SSI made that one. Too bad they aren't around anymore. Panzer General titles were the shit.

No, not yet. I want to but like I said above I am not going to until they put them both on sale (BE and rising tides). Last time they put one on sale and left the expansion (read the other half of the game) at almost full price. I don't support that and will wait to buy the game.

God I loved Axis and Allies. Played many games of A&A. I was very excited when they released a computer version of the board game only to find out that there really was no board game element to the game. A friend of mine that was a history buff reformed the board on a massive scale. Was around 6ft by 6ft based off what he knew about WW2 and took weeks to play (and hundreds of dice as well).

Forum List

Back