Civilization V: Brave New World

Not a big fan of Fraxis new strategy of charging for half the game and then charging for the elements that complete it.

That is pretty common for strategy games. Creative Assembly and Paradox have been doing it for years.
And my response is wait until they go on 65-85% sale on steam.

Not going to pay for a game multiple times.
Have you played Beyond Earth yet? I was sooo excited when it came out. It's basically a re-skinned Civ 5. That's what I'm pissed at Firaxis for. It could have been DLC instead of a stand alone title.

CIV used to be a historical strategy game.

Beyond Earth however, is a sci-fi. Although it is a little change to the mechanics and the gameplay, seems like a huge change in the CIV series.

But to Firaxis, new title, more money to be collected of course...
A lot of people thought it was going to be a new Alpha Centauri (between Civ II and III I think). A post end game continuation of Civ. It clearly wasn't. While the game play is almost identical, there are some things that I would like to see in any new Civ title. The way the tech tree is laid out is awesome. It starts in the middle and branches out like a flow chart. Missions are also something that would be nice to see added to Civ. Completing certain objectives gives you bonus currency, resources, units, etc.
That was what us fans of the series were hoping for. There were a lot of mechanics in that game that were really good (like truly customization units) and the history aspect was still intact through the future concepts expressed through historical quotes and philosophical figures.

I don't know but it sounds like they fell way short of the goal if you read the reviews of the game. They should have known what they were getting into when they started another game that had almost the exact same basis as a previous and fanatically liked game as Alpha Centari.

That is pretty common for strategy games. Creative Assembly and Paradox have been doing it for years.

Have you played Beyond Earth yet? I was sooo excited when it came out. It's basically a re-skinned Civ 5. That's what I'm pissed at Firaxis for. It could have been DLC instead of a stand alone title.

Beyond Earth however, is a sci-fi. Although it is a little change to the mechanics and the gameplay, seems like a huge change in the CIV series.

A lot of people thought it was going to be a new Alpha Centauri (between Civ II and III I think). A post end game continuation of Civ. It clearly wasn't. While the game play is almost identical, there are some things that I would like to see in any new Civ title. The way the tech tree is laid out is awesome. It starts in the middle and branches out like a flow chart. Missions are also something that would be nice to see added to Civ. Completing certain objectives gives you bonus currency, resources, units, etc.
That was what us fans of the series were hoping for. There were a lot of mechanics in that game that were really good (like truly customization units) and the history aspect was still intact through the future concepts expressed through historical quotes and philosophical figures.

I don't know but it sounds like they fell way short of the goal if you read the reviews of the game. They should have known what they were getting into when they started another game that had almost the exact same basis as a previous and fanatically liked game as Alpha Centari.
I have the game. It's good, but very very shallow. It really could have been DLC for Civ 5. That much depth was lacking. One play through and you're like meh. I was looking at Rising Tide. Maybe it's better now. It seems like they just added some new factions and allow settlements on water tiles. Might give it a shot if I ever get tired of Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 lol.

I have the game. It's good, but very very shallow. It really could have been DLC for Civ 5. That much depth was lacking. One play through and you're like meh. I was looking at Rising Tide. Maybe it's better now. It seems like they just added some new factions and allow settlements on water tiles. Might give it a shot if I ever get tired of Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2 lol.
That is the way they tend to be now without the expansions. A lot of people felt the exact same way about Civ 5 before BNW came out.

That is the way they tend to be now without the expansions. A lot of people felt the exact same way about Civ 5 before BNW came out.
It's worse than that. I played a lot of Civ 5 before the expansion.

It's worse than that. I played a lot of Civ 5 before the expansion.
That is unfortunate. I was really looking forward to a remake of Alpha Centari - that was one of the best in the series for its time.

Forum List

Back