Civil War anniversary events go forward despite lack of funds

Discussion in 'Military' started by waltky, Apr 10, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    How ironic, on the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War we have a black President...
    :cool:
    Civil War anniversary events go forward despite lack of funds
    10 April,`11 - States and communities across the country are coming together to commemorate the Civil War's sesquicentennial without federal funding or a national commission.

2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,749
    Careful what you say... You could start that shit up all over again.

3. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I don't see it as ironic. I see it showing that we've matured as a nation and did something that probably no one on both sides of the war ever imagined possible.

4. The Gadfly

The Gadfly Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +611
    I think there's some validity in that; we have, in some ways, made great progress in America. Since then, we've become a great nation that has spanned a continent; we've sent men to the moon, and brought them home, and we've probably come closer to realizing the dream of an America where all Americans have some measure of equality, than any of our ancestors back then would have thought possible.That's the good news.

On the other hand, we have created a popular culture filled with ignorance, vulgarity, and incivility that our ancestors would have found appalling, and 150 years after a war that tore the nation in two, we have managed to become a country as bitterly and spitefully divided, on many fronts, as America was then. The lines and the causes may be different, but our ancestors of that time would recognize the sentiments all too well.

So, I hope we spend some time in these next four years remembering that bitterest and bloodiest conflict in America's history. I hope we remember, not only what was won, but what was lost. I hope we reflect on what it cost, soberly and solemnly, and I hope we honor the valor and sacrifice on both sides, without glorifying it. I hope we remember, that for all that may have come of it, that war remains our greatest national tragedy. I hope we remember that, for if we do not, if we forget what happens when we arbitrate our differences by the sword, we might be tempted to do it again.

5. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Granny says dis time around we gonna whup dem yankees...
    :tongue:
    Fort Sumter cannons sound again: the Civil War 150 years later
    April 12, 2011 - Fort Sumter marked the start of the Civil War, with Confederates shelling it on April 12, 1861. Today, the cannon rolls still reverberate in a country that remains at peace, but torn by ideological divides.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Ever'body was-a kung-fu fightin'...
    :eek:
    Historian Recounts Role of Chinese Americans Who Fought in US Civil War
    April 20, 2011 - Many people would be surprised to know that there were some Asian faces in the crowds of white and black soldiers serving in the American Civil War.