Nazi warplane lying off UK coast is intact

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment

LONDON (Reuters) – A rare World War Two German bomber, shot down over the English Channel in 1940 and hidden for years by shifting sands at the bottom of the sea, is so well preserved a British museum wants to raise it.

The Dornier 17 -- thought to be world's last known example -- was hit as it took part in the Battle of Britain.

It ditched in the sea just off the Kent coast, southeast England, in an area known as the Goodwin Sands.

The plane came to rest upside-down in 50 feet of water and has become partially visible from time to time as the sands retreated before being buried again.

Now a high-tech sonar survey undertaken by the Port of London Authority (PLA) has revealed the aircraft to be in a startling state of preservation.

Nazi warplane lying off UK coast is intact - Yahoo! News

• Banned
And it's historically significant.

Kind of interesting what they can actually tell about the plane's condition from their solar equipment too.

It is pretty cool and thanks for the link.

As a side light, remember the shortcomings of the model and how superior even the American bombers were.

LONDON (Reuters) – A rare World War Two German bomber, shot down over the English Channel in 1940 and hidden for years by shifting sands at the bottom of the sea, is so well preserved a British museum wants to raise it.

The Dornier 17 -- thought to be world's last known example -- was hit as it took part in the Battle of Britain.

It ditched in the sea just off the Kent coast, southeast England, in an area known as the Goodwin Sands.

The plane came to rest upside-down in 50 feet of water and has become partially visible from time to time as the sands retreated before being buried again.

Now a high-tech sonar survey undertaken by the Port of London Authority (PLA) has revealed the aircraft to be in a startling state of preservation.

Nazi warplane lying off UK coast is intact - Yahoo! News

the flying pencil.....excellent, I hope they recover it.

I know a couple of divers who have made exploratory dives on it for the RAF Museum at Hendon so it is very likely it will be raised.

And it's historically significant.

Kind of interesting what they can actually tell about the plane's condition from their solar equipment too.

Sonar imaging has come a long way. I read where they use it over the ground for archeological searches too.

Also reminds me of that book by Cussler where the hero finds an abandoned and lost underground nazi plane hanger full of ME 262's :eusa_drool:

Last edited:
Germany was undisputed scientific leader around WW2.
German Patent Agency buried most precious patents in the city of Heringen, 500 meter deep and put liquefied oxygen over the patents.
US Agents went down after the war and photographed all Patents.

From 1946 about Patent plundering in Germany
Secrets by the thousands, By Charles Lester Walker (Harper's Magazine)

The Nazis already had technology for supersonic missiles and nightvision-goggles.

Forum List

Back