Citing health overhaul, AARP hikes employee costs

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Spoonman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Spoonman

Spoonman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,748
    Citing health overhaul, AARP hikes employee costs

WASHINGTON – AARP's endorsement helped secure passage of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Now the seniors' lobby is telling its employees their insurance costs will rise partly as a result of the law.

In an e-mail to employees, AARP says health care premiums will increase by 8 percent to 13 percent next year because of rapidly rising medical costs.

And AARP adds that it's changing copayments and deductibles to avoid a 40 percent tax on high-cost health plans that takes effect in 2018 under the law. Aerospace giant Boeing also has cited the tax in asking its workers to pay more. Shifting costs to employees lowers the value of a health care plan and acts like an escape hatch from the tax.

"Most plan co-pays and deductibles have been modified," Jennifer Hodges, AARP's director of compensation and benefits, wrote employees in an Oct. 25 e-mail. "Plan value changes were necessary not only from a cost management standpoint but also to ensure that AARP's plans fall below the threshold for high-cost group plans under health care reform."

Citing health overhaul, AARP hikes employee costs - Yahoo! News

Too bad this didn't come out before the elections. I doubt there would be a democrat left in Congress. Welcome to the reality of Obamacare.

2. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Could not happen to a more deserving group of bastards. They threw in with Obamacare.

3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Oh, the delicious irony of the wagers of supporting a stupid bureaucratic Gordian Knot, that comes back to bite your ass.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Curses..hiked again..

5. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    :gurgle: Free lifetime caps. Free dependent coverage up to age 26. Free screenings. Free pre-existing coverage. :gurgle:

6. Spoonman

Spoonman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,748
    Funny, I already had all of that, and more I didn't need Obama to fuck it up.

7. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    did andy griffith get his walking papers?

8. Spoonman

Spoonman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,748
    No, Opie was directing the film.

9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    ...it did. This was debated pretty intensely a year ago. The excise tax is one of the primary cost controls in the law for exactly this reason: it removes the limitless tax exemption employer-sponsored plans currently enjoy and encourages them to stay below the threshold (which starts out at $27,500 for multi-person plans). In this case, the employer is doing it by increasing cost-sharing, i.e. out-of-pocket spending. The principle is the same as that underlying one of the conservative health care holy grails, HDHPs: make people pay more of their own money, transition them away from third party payment to some degree, and spending will go down.

Don't you guys even know what you want anymore? Or is it just a matter of not wading into the policy details of your own ideology enough to recognize it in action?

10. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    It's not the same principle as HDHPs, which were voluntary. The government is forcing you into a de facto HDHP, and taking away your ability to pay for the same health care with pre-tax dollars.