Christmas, Beautiful Christmas!

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Christmas traditions, Christmas tree history

The Christmas Tree Farm Network
Traditions: Christmas Trees and Ornaments
The fir tree has a long association with Christianity, it began in Germany almost 1,000 years ago when St Boniface, who converted the German people to Christianity, was said to have come across a group of pagans worshipping an oak tree. In anger, St Boniface is said to have cut down the oak tree and to his amazement a young fir tree sprung up from the roots of the oak tree. St Boniface took this as a sign of the Christian faith. But it was not until the 16th century that fir trees were brought indoors at Christmas time

I love Christmas!

I love it when people call 1,000 years ago 'history' ... LOL .... such an infant religion laying claim to so much that isn't theirs.

Um ... duh. 1,000 years is short in the span of history, there are things older. The fir tree has a meaning that it more then 30,000 years old, and probably a few more that are older. Ignoring the rest of history doesn't make 1,000 old, it just makes it infantile.

I like Christmas, too.

What's not to like about a holiday where you get to decorate the house, watch the same three or four traditional schmultzie movies you've been watching for a half century, drink a little too much, eat a little too much, and give and get presents with and from people you love?

Um ... duh. 1,000 years is short in the span of history, there are things older. The fir tree has a meaning that it more then 30,000 years old, and probably a few more that are older. Ignoring the rest of history doesn't make 1,000 old, it just makes it infantile.

I think the aritcle just said it was a 1000 years ago that it was taken on as a symbol of Christmas! That dosen't mean the rest of history is ignored.. but aside from that aren't Christmas trees beautiful? I love to see the children gazing at the lights and wonderment of them. If you ever get a chance to visit Callaway Gardens at Christmas they do one spectacular tree.

I love Christmas too WT. Some of the most wonderful and magical memories I have are from Christmas, not to mention it's the day we celebrate the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

3065466813_ec52061b06_o.jpg

I love Christmas too Willow Tree! Too bad KK had to come in here and try to shit all over your thread.

Maybe some day KittenKoder will find happiness for herself.

No kidding. Kitty Liter had no real need to come in here and stink up the thread.

My daughter and I are going to put up our tree today. It's our tradition, we both love it.

Our Star on top is an Angel, with her face on it. (from when she was 2 years old, it's homemade, and I STILL have it in good shape! :) )

you know you got to roll with things...i am sorry...if people want to put up christmas trees ...so be it....if i want to do the winter solstice with a huge bonfire and other things....so be it...if my wiccian friends want to go with the total solstice dinner etc...so be it...if someone begins to read the christmas story from the bible...do i freak slam out...no...i come into work..there is a pentagram in a circle at my station..i simply get the cleaning spray and spray it....then track down the most likely doer...who confesses with....o that pentagram in a circle....now do i go nuts...no i laugh...cause it was meant as a joke...sometimes you just got to let the defenses down and enjoy life...it took me a long time to realize that....i am sorry now i was such a slow learner

you know you got to roll with things...i am sorry...if people want to put up christmas trees ...so be it....if i want to do the winter solstice with a huge bonfire and other things....so be it...if my wiccian friends want to go with the total solstice dinner etc...so be it...if someone begins to read the christmas story from the bible...do i freak slam out...no...i come into work..there is a pentagram in a circle at my station..i simply get the cleaning spray and spray it....then track down the most likely doer...who confesses with....o that pentagram in a circle....now do i go nuts...no i laugh...cause it was meant as a joke...sometimes you just got to let the defenses down and enjoy life...it took me a long time to realize that....i am sorry now i was such a slow learner

Who has said differently? That you and Wiccan friends should be able to celebrate solstice?

o just the fess over the christmas tree and history...all seems a bit sillie to me..things are what they are...be more accepting of others and see humor in yourself and others....you can opt to be offended or you can opt not to be offended...just as you can opt not be be offensive or to be offensive...

Uh, yeah............

The Christmas Tree fell over.............:redface:

Broke a few ornaments, but none that were "special" -SHEW!

My daughter and I laughed and laughed!

Taking a break with Pita Chips and Hummus!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8yQLbMtPFA&feature=channel]YouTube - Elvis Presley & Martina McBride - Blue Christmas[/ame]

now he was beautiful.... and he could sing a little too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE]YouTube - Do they know it's christmas[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad98fgYGnYg&feature=related]YouTube - Drifters Sing White Christmas[/ame]

Platters!

Forum List

Back