Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage

Seriously I could give a fuck. The Governor is within his rights and he wants the people to vote on it. Sounds damned fair to me. But then since I'm not living in New Jersey it's not my problem. The people who live there will handle it the way they want to.

Yes

Voting on someone elses civil rights is always fair

Where are all those lefties that stated in the last thread on Gay marriage that it was not a Civil Right?

Yes

Since the Supreme Court has not ruled on whether or not gay marriage is a civil right, Christie is within his rights to veto the bill and ask the people if they want to extend to homosexuals the privilege of cash and prizes for getting married.

Cash and prizes?

I thought it was because they loved each other

So if love is what is important explain again why two blood relatives can't marry?

Seriously I could give a fuck. The Governor is within his rights and he wants the people to vote on it. Sounds damned fair to me. But then since I'm not living in New Jersey it's not my problem. The people who live there will handle it the way they want to.

Yes

Where are all those lefties that stated in the last thread on Gay marriage that it was not a Civil Right?

in your head

Dumb, dumb dumb...

U.S. News - NJ Gov. Christie vetoes same-sex marriage bill

I've always been a critic of judges who decide they are going to disregard the will of legistlatures and the populace and impose these things, but here's a case where they did it the right way, they passed a bill, and Christie the Hutt decides he's stull sucking up to be RomBot's running mate.

They did it the right way? The governor also did it the right way. Why not try a voter referendum before you take the side of your fellow sissies?

Since the Supreme Court has not ruled on whether or not gay marriage is a civil right, Christie is within his rights to veto the bill and ask the people if they want to extend to homosexuals the privilege of cash and prizes for getting married.

Cash and prizes?

There is nothing stopping gays from marrying. Nothing. Christie did not just veto their ability to marry.

The only thing that separates a gay marriage from a straight marriage is the government cash and prizes that come with marriage. That is what Christie vetoed. And that is what makes gay marriage a 14th amendment issue.

See my signature.

That's not why I got married. I got married because I loved my wife and wanted our relationship validated

Same as gays

Cash and prizes?

There is nothing stopping gays from marrying. Nothing. Christie did not just veto their ability to marry.

The only thing that separates a gay marriage from a straight marriage is the government cash and prizes that come with marriage. That is what Christie vetoed. And that is what makes gay marriage a 14th amendment issue.

See my signature.

That's not why I got married. I got married because I loved my wife and wanted our relationship validated

Same as gays

And many gays have marriage ceremonies in states that do not recognize them. Just as I'm sure people in interracial marriages did before they were legal.

Should we have kept interracial marriages illegal since marriage is supposed to be about love?

Understand the problem?

Cash and prizes?

So if love is what is important explain again why two blood relatives can't marry?

Here it comes.....and the next question will be about pets and children

Society has a vested interest in preventing a potentially harmful union due to genetics. They have no reason to prevent gay marriage

"I am adhering to what I've said since this bill was first introduced — an issue of this magnitude and importance, which requires a constitutional amendment, should be left to the people of New Jersey to decide,"

Seems like he wants the people to make the decision. And you have a problem with this?

Um, yeah, I usually do when people appeal to bigotry to advance their political careers.

Christy is a fat sack of shit.

Takes one to know one huh?

Marriage is a religious institution, the state has no place there, civil unions are the state's domain.

Dumb, dumb dumb...

U.S. News - NJ Gov. Christie vetoes same-sex marriage bill

I've always been a critic of judges who decide they are going to disregard the will of legistlatures and the populace and impose these things, but here's a case where they did it the right way, they passed a bill, and Christie the Hutt decides he's stull sucking up to be RomBot's running mate.

Were you as outraged when the courts overturned Prop 8 in CA?

Dick Cheney Lobbying for Gay Marriage - The Daily Beast

Dick Cheney, the former U.S. vice president known for his hard right stance on almost all matters political, is taking a stand in Maryland for gay marriage. Cheney, whose daughter is openly gay, has been lobbying Maryland lawmakers as they debate whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. Cheney believes states should legalize gay marriage individually.

Well, I don't agree that there is a constitutional "right" to gay marriage.

But I think that the crafting of laws should be left to the legistlature. That's their function. And unlike a referendum, they have the time and ability to craft laws.

The veto power of a governor or president should be reserved for instances when a legislature acts irresponsibly. Here, it hasn't.

Christy is just sucking up to a larger national stage. Because he knows his fat ass is probalby done in the Gubenertorial election of 2013.

He felt the people of NJ should vote on it.

He has the right to veto legislation he doesn't find appropriate.

See my signature.

Same as gays

And many gays have marriage ceremonies in states that do not recognize them. Just as I'm sure people in interracial marriages did before they were legal.

Should we have kept interracial marriages illegal since marriage is supposed to be about love?

Understand the problem?

Actually...no

Are you claiming interracial marriages do not involve love?

You want to tell blacks they are free to marry other blacks just like you just told gays they are free to marry people of the opposite sex?

Dick Cheney Lobbying for Gay Marriage - The Daily Beast

Dick Cheney, the former U.S. vice president known for his hard right stance on almost all matters political, is taking a stand in Maryland for gay marriage. Cheney, whose daughter is openly gay, has been lobbying Maryland lawmakers as they debate whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. Cheney believes states should legalize gay marriage individually.

Cheney is for gay marriage?

Holy shit! Maybe the world IS going to end in 2012!!!:eek:

:lol:

But I think that the crafting of laws should be left to the legistlature. That's their function. And unlike a referendum, they have the time and ability to craft laws.

The veto power of a governor or president should be reserved for instances when a legislature acts irresponsibly. Here, it hasn't.

Christy is just sucking up to a larger national stage. Because he knows his fat ass is probalby done in the Gubenertorial election of 2013.

Federal judges don't appear to take kindy with voting on this issue.

Federal judges don't appear to take kindy with voting on this issue.

No, what the federal judges had a problem with was that California had granted recognition to gay marriage and then took it away. It was a very narrowly defined ruling.

With Christie's veto, New Jersey has not granted recognition.

Last edited:
"I am adhering to what I've said since this bill was first introduced — an issue of this magnitude and importance, which requires a constitutional amendment, should be left to the people of New Jersey to decide,"

Seems like he wants the people to make the decision. And you have a problem with this?

constitutional rights shouldn't be governed by majority vote.

if they voted on jim crow today in parts of the south, it would be made law.

christie wants to be V.P. methinks... can't have the wingnuts think he actually supports individual rights or anything.

besides, if it's a referendum, he gets the wedge issue to bring the right out to the polls.

i guess the GOP is running out of other options so they're trying to run the same campaign they did in 2004.

Last edited:
Christie Vetoes Gay Marriage

Actually I think government belongs out of marriage. I agree that marriage is between a man and a woman but that can conly be sanctified by God.

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's. In this case I think that is beyond Ceasar's bounds.

Forum List

Back