Chris Selley: It's time for reasonable Canadians to show solidarity against the COVID-19 snitches

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Oh if only Canadians knew the racket that our police agencies use, and, the benefit some citizens gain by helping them enforce CYA. Now they get a taste of it on a very small scale. Wait until they have clowns parked outside their homes or learn of those in their workplace. Then they might REALLY learn about the Canadian "character" our security apparatus has fostered.

Some don't want it getting out of hand now because post-virus some might actually be a little more suspicious than they had in the past, rightfully so as it were.

Chris Selley: It’s time for reasonable Canadians to show solidarity against the COVID-19 snitches

One summer evening in the mid-to-late 1990s, around perhaps 9 p.m., I and three friends were playing euchre on the backyard patio of the Selley homestead in midtown Toronto. There was mild banter, an occasional clinking of glasses. Excellent music wafted out from the family room at low volume. It was shaping up as an enjoyable but thoroughly forgettable evening. But then twin flashlight beams pierced the garden gate. It was two of Toronto’s finest, investigating a complaint from an unidentified neighbour about a bacchanalian party underway at number 132, the likes of which Moore Park had never seen.

The officers surveyed the scene with a look that said, “this is even more ridiculous than usual.” We bade each other good evening and they were on their way.

I remember asking at the time: Why wouldn’t this unknown neighbour just pick up the phone and ask us to be even quieter? We were one of two Selleys in the Toronto phone book, if memory serves, and certainly the only one on our street. The answer, we surmised, was because this person had no legitimate complaint to make. Getting the cops out, hopefully ruining our night, was the point of the exercise. Some neighbourhood busybodies might be experts on the letter of the law, but their goal is making people’s lives miserable.

The incident came back to me in considering the City of Toronto’s new online COVID-19 snitch portal, the latest insult in a spree of bizarrely misanthropic behaviour from some of Canada’s biggest municipal governments.

Forum List

Back