Choice of camera

hlow79

Rookie
Oct 22, 2010
Hello. I am interested in purchasing a camera in hopes to make a little money taking photos of people, places, etc... I am very amateur.

I've researched many cameras, and although I don't understand alot about them, I think I've narrowed my choices down. I have always purchased Canon, and always been happy, so that's why I picked this brand.

I am wondering if anyone has used any of the following cameras and could give me their opinion on them or if you have used a camera close to it in another brand, let me know which direction I should take.

I am looking at the following:

Canon EOS 50D
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 7D

The price isn't an issue. I just need a camera that will be perfect for what I want to do and last a long time.

Please help.

Canon does make some real nice cameras but I've always leaned towards Nikon. It's like the old rivalry between Ford and Chevy drivers. If you go to a good camera shop and tell them exactly what it is you are interested in doing with your camera they can lead you down the right path with a good Canon camera. Good luck with your camera selection and future photo endeavors.

Canon does make some real nice cameras but I've always leaned towards Nikon. It's like the old rivalry between Ford and Chevy drivers. If you go to a good camera shop and tell them exactly what it is you are interested in doing with your camera they can lead you down the right path with a good Canon camera. Good luck with your camera selection and future photo endeavors.

I use to listen to salespeople until I worked retail for a while. Manufacturer reps will offer salespeople spliffs for selling their brand, Canon is known to do this a lot(if you are a salesperson and get 10-20 dollars for every Canon you sell, are you going to show a customer anything else?). Just as they come out with a new model every month to get on the cover of every photography magazine. As a photographer, I don't want to be noticed, I want to blend in with my surroundings......... kind of hard with the big off white lenses that Canon has all of their sports photographers using. I spoke to a photographer at an air show one day that was using a Nikon D200........ he had been a photographer for National Geographic. He told me that Canon had contacted him and offered to replace all of his Nikon equipment with theirs, he told them no thanks.

Canon makes great equipment, everybody does once you breech the 1,000 dollar per body range....... but, they feel awful in my hands, the controls are the opposite of what my logic feels they should be. I hate that they do what they do marketing wise, if you are so good, why not let your equipment sell you? A whole generation believes that Canon is the only choice for a digital camera.

Yes, I do use Nikon, used them for over 30 years now and my 33 year old FE still feels great after 1,000s of shots taken with it. NASA takes 2 types of cameras on the shuttle, Hasselblad and Nikon......... good enough for me.

Forum List

Back