Chirac Favors Global Taxation

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by onedomino, Sep 24, 2004.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    This material appears on the "Embassy of France" website. I almost fell out of my chair when I read it.

http://www.info-france-usa.org/news/statmnts/2004/un_assembly092004.asp

Statements made by Jacques Chirac, President of the Republic, during his joint press conference with Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, President of Brazil, Ricardo Lagos Escobar, President of Chile, and José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, President of the Government of Spain (excerpts).

New York , September 20, 2004

THE PRESIDENT – I’d like especially to thank President Lula who has created what to my mind is an unprecedented momentum for movement on the basis of the proposals made. The very clear final declaration has already been signed by 110 countries.

This is absolutely remarkable, and shows that the issue of fighting poverty by other mechanisms in addition to the traditional Official Development Assistance is now inescapable, since we can’t stand in the way of such a groundswell of international public opinion manifested by such a large number of this community’s political leaders. Let me add that the top International Monetary Fund and World Bank officials have said very clearly that for the international financial institutions our declaration’s proposals were technically feasible and politically desirable.

So I think we’ve entered a new phase today in the affirmation of international solidarity and fight against world poverty. I’m delighted by this. Thank you.

US/IRAQ/FRANCE

Q. – You said your government would welcome US policy becoming more multilateralist. This has been interpreted here as support for Kerry’s candidature. If this is the case, why, reportedly, won’t you send French troops to Iraq in December, in January, to tell the Americans that there’s the possibility of finding more support in the world?
    THE PRESIDENT – (...) I’ll simply say that France’s policy on Iraq hasn’t changed and won’t change.

And, secondly, since the name of a United States [presidential] candidate has been mentioned, I’ll simply say that I don’t interfere in United States domestic affairs.

GLOBAL TAXATION

Q. – (...) President Chirac, you have asked Tony Blair to put the issue you discussed today on the July G8 agenda. The Americans are known to be totally opposed to all [global] taxation. What argument are you going to use to convince them, we know in particular that George Bush is totally opposed to any [global] taxation?
    THE PRESIDENT – In the first place, [global] taxation isn't the only method envisaged. But as far as I’m concerned, I think it's a necessity. Secondly, we have to look in detail, technically, at what is taxed. Now, you tell me that the American President is against it. I know, but let me point out to you that we are right in the middle of an election campaign and, as President Lula was rightly saying just now, let's wait a bit for the dust to settle and definitive positions to be taken. (...)

We'll talk to the Americans to see under what conditions we can actually implement mechanisms allowing us to find, release the essential resources which, added to Official Development Assistance coming from governments’ budgets, will make it possible to attain the Millennium Goals.

IRAQ/US HOSTAGE

Q. – When you were in session, television stations here were broadcasting pictures of an American civilian who has been beheaded, who had been held hostage since last Thursday. I wanted to know your reaction to this, given that two of our compatriots are also being held hostage in Iraq?
    THE PRESIDENT – My reaction is that of anyone, any man, woman, worthy of the name, i.e. one of horror and incomprehension.

Of course, I'm thinking of the two French hostages and their Syrian companion, men who were only doing their job and thus not offending anyone, not doing anyone harm. As you know, the French authorities have, of course, made active efforts to get their return. Naturally, I shall not comment on them and I make again a solemn appeal to justice and humanity for the release of these two journalists and their companion./.

2. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Pfffffft!

French translation: Pfffffft!
    :blowup:

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Why am I suprised that the Embassy of France gives less news information than ESPN? How can one tell what the hell this is about?

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Will it meet the limit? Serious fisking needed:

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, meets the limit, I'm going to work on it...lord help me!

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Fisking of a site that IS a fisk of global taxation. Not a criticism of site, rather an addendum:

http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedoml...lobal_taxes.htm

for a round up of the 'proposals for global taxes' click here: http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/glotax/

Watch your wallet: http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/New_World_Order/un_tax_consultant.htm

This is one of the problems with the UN in its current form. The multitude, though unfair in numbers, (remember if US was in same forum, we should have 50 individual votes, +1).
    Take a look at these, my 8th graders could have come up with a more coherent statement, though perhaps of the same depth? http://www.sovereignty.net/p/gov/madec.html

Meaning, if I'm not mistaken, this is blackmail, deal with us or we will unleash the international community upon you!

:rolleyes: not stopping them from their idea though.

What a conclusion! Says it all! :clap:

8. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    pffft

The UN isn't getting 1 FRICKN' CENT from me. What the hell are they gonna do? Arrest me and ship me off to The Hauge? :laugh:

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It's too early in the morning but I'm gonna do it anyway :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    HERE'S OUR DEFINITIVE ANSWER, :finger:, JACKASS!