Chinese Chorizo: Rediscovering a Lost Piece of Tucson Food History

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
When I found out about the Chinese chorizo, an obscured historic food that originated from a forgotten legacy of 100+ Chinese grocery stores that once existed in my hometown of Tucson, I was having a mid-life crisis in the middle of the pandemic. I returned to the city to live at my parents’ house until I figured out where to go next.

20 years prior, I was living in New York City — plateauing a long, successful, and sometimes glamorous fashion career. When the pandemic hit, I took a big leap to become executive chef at a restaurant in downtown Manhattan. I quickly left The Bear-like situation to indecisively proceed with whatever crossed my path.

With nearly nothing to lose, Tucson became my Walden. The less traveled path I chose came in the form of applying for the Nightbloom Grant offered by the Tucson Museum of Contemporary Art and the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Arts, which I stumbled upon during a late-night doom scroll. Somehow, I was awarded this prestigious grant. I proposed to build a cheeky 11-foot tall, large-scale, mosaic public sculpture of two linked Chinese chorizo and had a loose plan for the Tucson Chinese Chorizo Festival.

The story surrounding the Chinese chorizo would soon find new life in mine.

I have never, not once (until now,) heard of Chinese chorizo. This is kind of interesting. I always found it odd that there is so much Chinese history in AZ due to the railroads but you don't hear about it. Places like Tombstone had a Chinese population but you would not know it if you hadn't read any history about it. I doubt Tombstone has changed since I went there but there are a couple of tombstones and that's it. I don't know if it's because there are multiple other cultures in AZ that drown it out or if it's having to contend with some pretty bad history like opium dens and a weird Chinese slave trade thing going on.

Okay a lot of information except one thing. What is it and what's in it?
I know, right? From what I gather from the article they used whatever meat was getting ready to go bad and chilis. It's been reinvented (I hope) so what is it now?

There is no such thing as Chinese Chorizo.
There are, however, a billion different kind of Chinese sausages. You could say they are all "Chorizo" since the word Chorizo means ground meat.

Forum List

Back